Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2K --> 05 Subaru WRX

Old 06-12-2005, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2K --> 05 Subaru WRX

Whats everyones view of going from a S2K to a Subaru WRX? (EJ20T, not STi)

The S2K is the only car I have, and I drive it everyday. I have to park it at a mall parking lot for work, about 4 days a week. There is also a lot of construction in the area (California roads, they make you drive THROUGH the construction, which means my whole car is now scratched up and little chips ALL OVER. The paint scratches sooo easy)

My S2K set up will be- Hardtop, OEM lip, 17" Volk CE28N bronze, cleared amber, racing coils, AEM EMS and mods in my sig. I don't really feel that this is safe sitting out in a mall lot. Keep in mind places like Oakland and Sac town are a second away from here.

I also need to bring friends around. They are lazy and are always drunk every weekend. This means I am usually taking my friends SUV to haul all there asses around.

The Subaru gives me more interior room and an interior which is absent in the S2K. More luxury. I can bring friends around.

Will it feel like I am downgrading too much? I plan to get some 17" Bronze Volks and a suspension set up (Coils and Sway bars) right off the bat when I get the WRX. Will the speed be close to the same?Stock? Eventually I will get a stg 1 ECU and a TBE and BPU mods.

Please give me as much insight to this as you can!

Many thanks
Old 06-12-2005, 02:32 PM

Just get the STI. You'll be more happy with it out of the box.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:39 PM

Not enough cash. I have to trade in the S2K and then I only have enough to afford a WRX unless I can get a good deal on the STis. There are about 10 STi's on the dealer floor, but I have no clue as to how to ask them to bring the price down. How much can they actually bring down anyways?

I was already planning on the WRX to be cheaper than the invoice anyways hehe.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:47 PM

This might interest you

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/463298/
Old 06-12-2005, 04:21 PM

Went from wrx to s2k.
Would never go back the other way.
Plus i buy a car for me and me alone. Why should you care about hauling your friends around??
Old 06-12-2005, 04:35 PM

i used to own a WRX.. total shit box.. it doesnt matter if you add a 24mm rear sway bar, rolling on S0-3's, Coilover set up... you gonna understeer like crazy on track etc... wrx is not a good car for racing unless you gonna gut your interior, lighten everything, running RA-1's, still can't compete with other cars done the same way...

You will feel extremely miserable going from S2K to WRX... and the interior is hella not luxury... and 05 is even more uncomfortable... those seats... god damn..

My personal opinion and observation man... After driving a WRX for a year, i hated it..if i were you, pick up an 2005 RSX-S... that car can beat stock WRX no problem track/street/highway... better on gas, looks alot better etc.. easy to mod! cheaper parts!
Old 06-12-2005, 04:36 PM

that move will be no doubt a down grade and get friends who are not lazy.

but i can understand about the concern parking where it is not safe.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:39 PM

you do have nice mods and i'm sure it looks great.

why not just get a beater for like lets say 2k?

i sure wouldnt mind parking that in the mall or at the clubs or bars saturday night.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:43 PM

If you want a WRX, wait for the 06... its getting a 2.5L with 230hp and 4pot front brakes with 2 pot rears...
Old 06-12-2005, 04:53 PM

I have both a 2004 wrx (wife's) and my 2001 s2k. As for stock handling, there is no comparison. After installing Prodrive springs, adjustable swaybars and potenza s03s on the wrx, the handling was quite good. Autocrossing the car (no engine mods), I was able to get a run of 53.1 seconds, compared to the 50.1 seconds of my s2k. The difference was due to the lack of low end power in 2nd gear of the wrx. I have a friend who had uppipe, downpipe, catback and EM on his wrx, and his best run was 50.8.

As for dyno, I dyno'd my s2k and got 200hp this weekend. A stock wrx dyno'd at 160, while a wrx with uppipe, downpipe, EM (ecutek) and catback gets ~200.

The STI dynos stock around 250hp/270tq, and with downpipe, catback, ecutek, it gets to around 300hp/320tq.

I would highly recommend getting an STI if you are planning on upgrading the turbo components, as it will take you $2k to come close to matching a stock STI, and you will void you warranty and have much worse stock brakes (I like the sti brembos). My wife is considering trading in her 2004 wrx for a 2005 sti

Also, for sti, if you swap the turbo, injectors and exhaust, you can get an easy 350-370whp, something not possible on the wrx.

--
Brian

Quick Reply: S2K --> 05 Subaru WRX