Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 vs. Lotus Elise

Old 06-01-2011, 08:41 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shamusodoofus
Keep in mind everything I am about to say I have picked up from various forums here and there so some of the things mentioned may be overly exaggerated but, alas there is always a shred of truth behind even the most exaggerated stories.

The entire frame of the Elise/Exige is glued together rather than welded to save some weight. It is pretty common apparently to go over a big speed bump at speed and hit the underbody thus damaging the entire frame of the car and then it's a total loss since it's frame damage and it's pretty expensive to repair. To avoid damaging the front clam I recall there being something called a "star shield" for the Elise/Exige that protects the clam from damage. Also, any body damage will often times result in frame damage which also means a total loss. It is definitely a much more fragile car than the S2000 and I would definitely not want to be caught in an accident in an Elise/Exige but I would imagine if you are careful in the way you drive and take decent care of your car it shouldn't be anymore difficult to own than an S2000 besides the price tag on body parts
The epoxy that holds the chassis together is as strong as welds or stronger. No one has ever damaged their car or had the chassis come apart from a "bump". Someone had a giant piece of wood puncture the floor pan of the car and you can patch them to a certain point. Early on insurance companies total those types of accidents is because they did not know how to properly repair them and the epoxy is baked when the chassis is bare and it's not practical to dissaemble and assemble the car again just to repair the chassis. There are now epoxy compounds that can repair the car without baking so this is really a non issue.

Starshield is just a clear bra to protect the paint. It does not protect from actual clam damage just scratches from road debris. The chassis is actually pretty strong as it's a bunch of aluminum extrusions pieced together to provide very good structural rigidity. Many people have walked away from pretty serious impacts in these cars. I wouldn't bet that it would hold up well if a suburban hit it dead on going 60 but it's still way better than a bike.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:54 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by newyawkballa
I hear that is pretty easy to total them, just by hitting minor shit, since u have to replace the whole front clam.

I looked into them sometime ago and saw all the stuff about clamshells costing over $10k. I don't know how good they are, but there are new clamshells from some manufacturer I saw on Ebay the other day going new for less than $5k. They may have horrible fit, I don't know but CLAIM OEM quality. I don't know if Cosmos knows anything about them and can comment.

When I was looking there were a few to be had for "buy it now" prices of about $25k (2005's if memory serves). Used ones seem to have gone back up a bit.

I would still love to have one but decided on the Roots blower on my S and have been very happy with it since.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend on here his name is Aaron he owned a s2k set up for ttc, has set many track records in the car. He sold it and got a elise. After 3 or so months of development he relized the s2k was a better car and ended up selling it and got another s2k. He said the car had such a tiny powerband that if you short shifted at all it would fall out of the powerband and be a slug. He also couldn't come within 2 seconds of his time in the s2k. A s2k thats set up right is a beast on the track.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it!

Old 06-03-2011, 10:44 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Can' say what's best for you. i have a good friend, my track buddy, who has a 05 sport, a very hard core car....i love it for about an hour, then you can have it...getting in and out is not for daily driving...it is fun, exotic...and unusual, it will pivot on an apex just like my S does...it is a great car, but for me the honda outshines it....Clarkson may have said it best..."at the end of the day you can turn on the a/c, lower the power top, and put on a cd all in relative comfort in the Honda"(paraphrased). best of luck i think just a drive will tell you enough...
Old 06-04-2011, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd get a lotus only if my future plan was to swap a k20/24 in it.