Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 vs. Lotus Elise

Old 05-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 vs. Lotus Elise

I am thinking of selling my Ap1 and putting $10,000 down on a Lotus Elise, Chrome Orange. I was thinking of getting a CR, but the prices have seemed to creep up a bit. Plus, I always wanted one. I already know u have to be hardcore. I am as hardcore as they come. I drove the S2000 from F.L to N.Y, round-trip, solo. I also had cars that were about as low as u can go and had no problems not taking speed bumps, pulling into gas stations. I even drive a EF hatch in FL with no A/c with no problems. LOL. People say it is a death trap, but I see it to be 20 times safer then a motorcycle. I'm probably just blowing hot steam and not selling the S2k (thank you Fiancee)
, but its fun and gives You guys something to talk about.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you track at all? Or just for street? It seems that most of the advantage of the Lotus is handling around the track...even better than the S2000. Plus, I don't know that color, but it sounds like a very noticeable color...I prefer subtle colors to stay off the radar.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:58 PM

Elise/Exige is sick. Driving one is just as much of a difference from an S2000 as an S2000 is to a normal car. No power steering, ultra quick throttle response, no amenities, just pure sports car. If you can handle the impracticality, don't let anyone talk you out of it.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Banned

I hear that is pretty easy to total them, just by hitting minor shit, since u have to replace the whole front clam. U can find them for under $30k.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:46 PM

Keep in mind everything I am about to say I have picked up from various forums here and there so some of the things mentioned may be overly exaggerated but, alas there is always a shred of truth behind even the most exaggerated stories.

The entire frame of the Elise/Exige is glued together rather than welded to save some weight. It is pretty common apparently to go over a big speed bump at speed and hit the underbody thus damaging the entire frame of the car and then it's a total loss since it's frame damage and it's pretty expensive to repair. To avoid damaging the front clam I recall there being something called a "star shield" for the Elise/Exige that protects the clam from damage. Also, any body damage will often times result in frame damage which also means a total loss. It is definitely a much more fragile car than the S2000 and I would definitely not want to be caught in an accident in an Elise/Exige but I would imagine if you are careful in the way you drive and take decent care of your car it shouldn't be anymore difficult to own than an S2000 besides the price tag on body parts
Old 05-29-2011, 09:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

keep the s2k, use the 10 grand for a built rear end and a supercharger.

or buy a cheap mx5 ~5-6k and use the rest to turbo/supercharge.

Lotus elise is too hardcore for me as a DD, but for weekends/track hell yes.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Banned

The 10 grand would be coming from the sale of the S2000.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I seriously considered an elise before I bought my S but I just couldn't fit in the damn thing. With the roof on my head was basically touching it. Great, Great car but if its going to be your only car your kidding yourself. Way too small, not enough creature comfort to be used every day. Hell maybe your a hardcore guy, just get it. I'll be jealous.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Banned

I have 2 other cars. I don't even DD the S2k. I wouldn't DD that car, because it will def be a collectible one day.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like he elise but the interior is so plain and stripped down its almost ridiculously tha it came out that way. I personally wouldnt do it, but if your ok with he cheap interior than i am sure its a great car that is super fun to drive!

Quick Reply: S2000 vs. Lotus Elise