Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 vs. 350Z touring - Which one should I buy

Old 04-07-2003, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have access to a second car(like me), definately get the s2k. if not, the s2k can be a pain for you if you drive for extended periods...
Old 04-08-2003, 04:08 AM

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. I haven't made a decision. I should point out that I will have a second vehicle for at least the next 15 months (I have a 2000 Jetta still leased till then). So the S2000 can be my fun car for at least awhile. I took this comparison to so many people (family, friends, co-workers). Right now, the Z is favored 2-1. However, I'm not ready to give up on the S2K yet. I spoke with the Honda dealer who agreed to let me take it for a drive, TOP DOWN, this Thursday when the temperature is supposed to be a whopping 50 degrees and partly cloudy. This will likely make my decision.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:45 AM

The Z is without a doubt the favored car. You didn't have to ask everybody, you coulda just looked at what's happening with sales and seeing them around on the street to know it's the generally favored car. It is a more practical daily driver thanks to having a more space(but also more weight), alot more torque, and that "luxury" feel people want to sit in all day. I wouldn't base your decision what the ratio is though, I mean do you always go with the generally favored?

Here are my thoughts about my car, and this is the way alot of owners feel about their cars, if you think about stuff like this vs. practicality, luxury, status, etc then the S2000 is for you:

The S2000 is one of the most fun cars i've ever had the pleasure of handling. As well as the miata, type-R, NSX, and RX7. There's ALOT more to a car than what it looks like on paper, I personally feel that a car needs to have personality and character. A relationship you build with it as you push it further and further to its true limits. You learn the personality as you drive, and depending on how complex the personality is, this process could take years of driving until you can finally *safely* have fun at the limits. That to me is what gives a car life, and makes a car fun over the long run(not just one test drive).

The s2000 happens to have the personality and character of a true road racing car, meant to be drifted around crazy tracks. One of the most complex personalities I have seen, that some people either can't handle(we all know how often the s2000 tends to bite owners that frankly do not know the car the way they need to in order to be doing whatever they were trying to do), don't have the patience for(some people could care less what kind of a personality a car has as long as it has throttle), or people that DO seek that certain character, that certain level of fun that the S2000 can bring with its complex and aggressive personality.

That certain level of fun that comes from knowing you are banging shifts off the limiter at 9grand, drifting a wide turn, yet still in total control of where the car is going thanks to the fact the shifter is so damn short, silky smooth, precise, and well placed that it allows for lightning quick shifts that seem to aid your drift into another entire level of fun(if you've ever started a drift in 1st gear and slammed 2nd mid drift you know how fun this is in the s2000). All this thanks to the fact that you're in a car that weighs 2,800lbs(not the lightest, but light enough to toss into a drift with very accurate steer response, especially with that short wheel base).

A car who's entire existance was based on handling. Starting with the engine, sure honda could have gotten 275hp out of a bigger motor, but they INSISTED on having the lightweight and tiny 2.0L 4-cyl, allowing them to not only have the lightest engine possible with minimal inertia, but to mount it ENTIRELY behind the front axle, making it practically a mid-engine roadster(hey they still somehow, some way squeezed 240hp out of it for us). It's the people that understand and appreciate these kinds of details in a car that really love the s2000. Hey there's gotta be a reason michael andretti rocks one . There aren't that many of us out there, that would choose and actually care about all of this, over running 12s or 11s....or that would choose all this over buying a nicer emblem than honda, but for people like me, it's not even about what's on paper.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by saulglennon
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. I haven't made a decision. I should point out that I will have a second vehicle for at least the next 15 months (I have a 2000 Jetta still leased till then). So the S2000 can be my fun car for at least awhile. I took this comparison to so many people (family, friends, co-workers). Right now, the Z is favored 2-1. However, I'm not ready to give up on the S2K yet. I spoke with the Honda dealer who agreed to let me take it for a drive, TOP DOWN, this Thursday when the temperature is supposed to be a whopping 50 degrees and partly cloudy. This will likely make my decision.

yeah thats how im treating it. the s2k IS my "fun" car, not my daily driver.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:56 PM
Banned

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=115511

Check that video out... very good review, in my opinion