Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The S2000 Is a Surprisingly Great Daily Driver (For Me)

Old 12-12-2019, 06:48 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
What? The S2000 has a heavy clutch? I've never heard that complaint. I drove a C6 Corvette Grand Sport and when I got back in the S2000, I felt like it wasn't even there. The S2000 has a very light clutch, in my experience...
Compared to alot of modern cars though it does have a surprisingly heavier clutch, but yeah I wouldn't exactly call it heavy either, others are just way too light with clutch springs and such.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:01 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

I loved my 2005 S2000 I had from new for a few years putting almost 30k miles on it. However, the ride was stiff and it did jack my bad back up worse. And I wouldn't say it has a lot of a luxury. Othrewise, I agree with your review. The S2000 is a special car for sure.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:21 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
As much as I love the S2000 I could not drive it daily. I enjoyed driving it in perfect weather, I didn't like driving it in rain, and I could not winter drive it under any circumstances. The thought of hitting a patch of ice or any slick surface would scare the crap out of me in this car. I know it can be driven daily but it wouldn't be for me. I always appreciate the S2000 more when driving other cars daily, and then enjoying it in perfect conditions when I want to drive it.
I drove it in the snow, and paid the price

As a 2nd car it was perfect, no complaints. Once it became my DD, I got rid of it and have not missed it since. Nice car, but was my only convertible and never want one again. It was a fun car, but it was never anything that was that special to me. Now if Honda would make a new version of it in coupe form, I'd be game. And need more power. Drop the CTR motor in it.
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:42 AM

Received 3,774 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
I drove it in the snow, and paid the price

As a 2nd car it was perfect, no complaints. Once it became my DD, I got rid of it and have not missed it since. Nice car, but was my only convertible and never want one again. It was a fun car, but it was never anything that was that special to me. Now if Honda would make a new version of it in coupe form, I'd be game. And need more power. Drop the CTR motor in it.
I totally agree. I never wanted a convertible but loved the S2000 for other reasons, and spent most of my time getting the perfect hardtop on it. I wish Honda would have made a coupe option.

I once drove over a manhole in the rain just as vtec engaged, the car spun out on me like nobody's business, I was able to save it before crashing but the car doesn't do well when the rear wheels spin, and I never wanted to drive it in winter conditions due to that.

There are too many other cars out there that make great daily drivers, the S2000 excels at being a second car, at least in my books. It can turn into a love-hate relationship if I was to drive it daily.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:06 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Been driving my s2000 daily for almost 8 years now. I am finally over it as a daily and will be picking up something more comfortable soon. Probably an 07-08 Acura TL. Considering a TSX as well.

Just tired the extra effort to get in and out of the car. The stiff suspension is wearing on me. While manuals don't bother me, (unless im in stop and go traffic on the freeway) an automatic is nice for daily duties.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:42 AM

Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts

Daily Driver is a misnomer. I think most of the people here have another car or truck that they probably use as much or more than their daily driver S2000. Kind of hard squeezing a sheet of drywall in the space behind the seats, I find. As others have said, also no fun getting caught in rain or snow, unless you're in a parking lot with no cars and no curbs. ( ya I know driving skills and driving for conditions yada yada ). If you're single, live somewhere where the weather permits, and you never go near a Home Depot then you'll probably be ok. I used to drive it back and forth to work 6 months of the year, but found I put more miles on my truck than my car because of life, and a wife.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:53 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by silvio1522
Daily Driver is a misnomer. I think most of the people here have another car or truck that they probably use as much or more than their daily driver S2000.
S2000 was my only car for 4 years and through several big New England winters too. After that much in a car like that, I moved to a large Jaguar saloon.
The following users liked this post:
ChiHonda (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 11:04 AM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

First thing I did to my S2k - gutted the soft top and bolted in an OEM top.

Daily drove it for 6 years while tracking it also. I put 20K miles on it in the first year of ownership. I drove from Los Angeles to Vegas and got 32 mpg - hit the fabled 300+ miles in gas tank.

Coilovers at 700/600 lbs after 4 years of ownership definitely made it rougher to DD.

Rollbar, aftermarket steering wheel, 6-point harness, bucket seats were all acceptable but made it very rough for DD.

The DD killer for me was putting on a giant GT wing and splitter. I hated all the wrong kinds of attention I was getting. Now, it's a track rat garage queen. I put around 3-5k miles per year on it - mostly track related. With the NT-01 dot rcomps and aero modifications, i barely get 200 miles out of a gas tank now.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:22 PM

Received 3,774 Likes on 2,661 Posts

I get tremendous satisfaction out of my current daily driver, it checks all of the boxes for me and leaves me wanting for nothing. That is what I want for a daily driver, no compromises when you spend a lot of time in the vehicle as I do. The S2000 would have a few compromises as a daily driver for me, I see it as a weekend fun/track car and it works great as that. I loved driving the S2000 at the Dragon, but I wasn't crazy about driving there and back (800 miles each way).
Old 12-15-2019, 01:24 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

It was my primary for 2-3 years. I enjoyed it and it was decent on gas cause that matters to a lot of people on this forum.

i later started driving a modify sedan and now daily we few much higher HP cars.

nothing to knock on the S2k about. Did most things well. Even have a great shot of it full of Costco run for 4!!

great time in life.

Quick Reply: The S2000 Is a Surprisingly Great Daily Driver (For Me)