Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 replacement ideas

Old 12-07-2011, 04:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Christople
Ever since edmunds.com has been testing their used 1991 NSX for 20k miles I've been loving ever post. I want one just due to the fact of the history of honda, the sportscar feel, the perfect driving position, arton etc.

However, because the prices haven't really dropped, I feel like a more modern car with similar power would be a better used buy...

EXACTLY how I feel. I would love to own an NSX, but MY GOD what people are asking for nice ones... Can easily find a very nice Cayman S for less than most decent NSXs out there. Not sure what used first-gen R8s are going for but I doubt it's a hell of a lot more than what 05-06 NSXs are.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know u dont like chevy but 08 or 09 cobalt ss turbo. faster track times then our s2k, evo, sti, lotus. u can get one used for about 18k. comes stock with brembos, reacaros and built in launch control and flat foot shifting. ecoboost motor pretty reliable. that would be my next ride but i already have 3 vehicles.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 460cidpower
Originally Posted by s2kpdx01' timestamp='1322960629' post='21208223
[quote name='460cidpower' timestamp='1322945198' post='21207735']

Well I guess I've decided that I want a hard top, and at least four seats. Gas mileage needs to be at least 20MPG. Used is also what I want, albeit low miles. The E46 M3 is pretty sexy.

Oh, BTW, I love the STI as a car, but HATE the looks and I've heard that the build quality on the Evo aren't very good.
what do you mean by build quality? I did about 15 track days and 45k miles on my evo without anything ever going wrong. It was pushing about 320whp or 70 over stock the whole time. Only reason it's gone is because i crashed into a wall during a track day. Very durable car. It was an Evo IX. If you plan on adding more power or tracking it just make sure to get the 5 speed as the 6 speed transmission is a weak point.

An aside: if you are worried about insurance and thinking about an evo check before you buy. It was quite a bit more expensive then my viper to insure.
Several people I talked to said that the STI was build like a tank and could take a beating, while most said Mitsu's as a whole aren't that mechanically sound. I do like the evo X looks a lot better. What kinda gas mileage did you get with your IX?
[/quote]
18-22mpg
the IX's are pretty much bullet proof with the 5-speed. I wouldn't trust the X with the SST if I was going to track it.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by hondafrvr
Originally Posted by s2kpdx01' timestamp='1322960629' post='21208223
[quote name='460cidpower' timestamp='1322945198' post='21207735']

Well I guess I've decided that I want a hard top, and at least four seats. Gas mileage needs to be at least 20MPG. Used is also what I want, albeit low miles. The E46 M3 is pretty sexy.

Oh, BTW, I love the STI as a car, but HATE the looks and I've heard that the build quality on the Evo aren't very good.
what do you mean by build quality? I did about 15 track days and 45k miles on my evo without anything ever going wrong. It was pushing about 320whp or 70 over stock the whole time. Only reason it's gone is because i crashed into a wall during a track day. Very durable car. It was an Evo IX. If you plan on adding more power or tracking it just make sure to get the 5 speed as the 6 speed transmission is a weak point.

An aside: if you are worried about insurance and thinking about an evo check before you buy. It was quite a bit more expensive then my viper to insure.
Damn. Sorry to hear that. Does track day insurance cover something like that?
[/quote]

I just had normal state farm, they covered everything. They are the only major carrier to cover track days. I've been with them a long time so they didn't even raise my rates. And like I said the insurance on my viper is lower then my evo was. Overall, I couldn't be happier with state farm.

I totaled the car at infineon. I hit a wall head on at like 60. The car was totally stock from a safety perspective, 3 point seatbelt, no roll cage, etc. My only injury (besides my pride) was my cheek..i bit it hard.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brandon1atc
i know u dont like chevy but 08 or 09 cobalt ss turbo. faster track times then our s2k, evo, sti, lotus. u can get one used for about 18k. comes stock with brembos, reacaros and built in launch control and flat foot shifting. ecoboost motor pretty reliable. that would be my next ride but i already have 3 vehicles.
I test drove a new turbo cobalt and the car was absolutely disgusting. The worst "sporty" car Ive ever driven by a long shot. One thing that was fun though, when you close the trunk or hit a bump, you get to watch the "spoiler" oscillate like a violin string. Car is a turd.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by brandon1atc
There's a lot more to owner satisfaction than lap times and other performance metrics. Fwd, crap styling, etc. - you'd have to give one to me to drive it.