Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 replacement ideas

Old 12-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MBHs2k
E46 m3, decent reliability
Old 12-06-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by 460cidpower
Originally Posted by Silverstreak HX' timestamp='1323198296' post='21215431
Find you a used 911 to test drive ! It will change your life and you will KNOW for sure what car you WANT!
P.S. Be sure to tell Rockville how much of a POS the Vette was.
LOL

There is a reason GM should have went out of business. So far I've got $21k in parts, not counting labor in fixing mine/keeping mine running.

The list is as follows:

1. Clutch would get stuck to the floor, had to reach down and pull pedal back up
2. Electrical gremlins out the wazzo, from not wanting to start, to the traction control/ stability control failing, ABS box failed, stock radio failed
3. Gas tanks developed a crack that ran along the tops of them that cost $800 apiece (which after months of hounding, GM admitted it was a defect)
4. Stock shifter failed
5. transmission started randomly grinding gears
6. sun visor bracket failed that held the sun visor in place
7. center console hinge broke, as well as the little "lock" thingy
8. bracket that held the floor mats in broke
9. right at 60k miles the motor dropped a valve, killing the motor and most of it's attached parts (due to a bad batch of valve springs according to several people I talked to)
10. pop up head lights would sometimes work fine, other times not at all, sometimes going up by themselves for no reason
11. factory seats were garbage, the leather was horrible, and the seats under load would sometimes move, i.e. go to a leaned back position (not cool when driving "excited")
12. there's a lot more but I have to go now.... work calls
Holy hell. That is messed up. This is on a 2004 Corvette? The last model year of the C5. I mean if it was the first production year, it would be ok I guess.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by hondafrvr
Originally Posted by 460cidpower' timestamp='1323215258' post='21216296
[quote name='Silverstreak HX' timestamp='1323198296' post='21215431']
Find you a used 911 to test drive ! It will change your life and you will KNOW for sure what car you WANT!
P.S. Be sure to tell Rockville how much of a POS the Vette was.
LOL

There is a reason GM should have went out of business. So far I've got $21k in parts, not counting labor in fixing mine/keeping mine running.

The list is as follows:

1. Clutch would get stuck to the floor, had to reach down and pull pedal back up
2. Electrical gremlins out the wazzo, from not wanting to start, to the traction control/ stability control failing, ABS box failed, stock radio failed
3. Gas tanks developed a crack that ran along the tops of them that cost $800 apiece (which after months of hounding, GM admitted it was a defect)
4. Stock shifter failed
9. right at 60k miles the motor dropped a valve, killing the motor and most of it's attached parts (due to a bad batch of valve springs according to several people I talked to)
10. pop up head lights would sometimes work fine, other times not at all, sometimes going up by themselves for no reason
11. factory seats were garbage, the leather was horrible, and the seats under load would sometimes move, i.e. go to a leaned back position (not cool when driving "excited")
Holy hell. That is messed up. This is on a 2004 Corvette? The last model year of the C5. I mean if it was the first production year, it would be ok I guess.
[/quote]

Yeh, I wish I was making this up, but it's true. It wasn't even ever wrecked. (I took it to a body shop before I bought it to make sure)
Old 12-06-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

it may be me but the first line was "sell POS to my brother".
I guess OP likes his vette and calls it a POS ironically?
Old 12-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by S2020
it may be me but the first line was "sell POS to my brother".
I guess OP likes his vette and calls it a POS ironically?
I have another term for it "whorevette"
Old 12-06-2011, 06:33 PM

I always liked the C5 z06 exterior and the performance.

But I took one look at that god awful parts-bin interior....and threw up in my mouth. I tried to not get any on the interior because it might actually make it better.

Compared to this....from 12 years earlier...my 1993 NSX

Old 12-06-2011, 06:55 PM

Ever since edmunds.com has been testing their used 1991 NSX for 20k miles I've been loving ever post. I want one just due to the fact of the history of honda, the sportscar feel, the perfect driving position, arton etc.

However, because the prices haven't really dropped, I feel like a more modern car with similar power would be a better used buy...
Old 12-06-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by 460cidpower
LOL

The list is as follows:

4. Stock shifter failed

That's pretty crazy all that happened on one car but some of it sounds like more than GMs fault. Shifter failing? The clutch thing has happened to me - was a worn out clutch (stock clutch and extra power don't mix great). The dropped valve is a common issue when using stock valvetrain (mainly springs and retainers) and revving the hell out of the car (nephew drove one and bent a pushrod thanks to serious valve float).
The only electrical gremlins I've experienced are the TC module (I thought one computer handled TC/Active handling and ABS).
I've never seen any interior issues (besides being a poor interior anyway).

Do you think the past owner mechanically trashed the car? My father and I just purchased a third C5 and have had little issues out of any of them.

As for a car suggestion, Does no Chevy mean no first gen CTS-V? I like the 335i idea and LOVE the NSX idea.

Lotus Esprit? Not much for reliability.

I think the best suggestion I can give is a Hyundai Genesis. That or another S... Not another car like it...
Old 12-06-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Christople
Ever since edmunds.com has been testing their used 1991 NSX for 20k miles I've been loving ever post. I want one just due to the fact of the history of honda, the sportscar feel, the perfect driving position, arton etc.

However, because the prices haven't really dropped, I feel like a more modern car with similar power would be a better used buy...
I agree with you whole-heartedly. I remember when they first bought that car. I was so excited for them....and this was before I had mine.

As for the price, I looked for a looonng time to find one within the price range I was comfortable with. Albeit mine is not "Mint" condition, she's got 135k miles. But she's still bullet proof and I've been splitting DD duties between it and my xTerra for the past 3 mo, and no problems so far. Amazing for a 18yr old car.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:44 PM

Had a few more ideas: Infiniti G and Mazda RX8

Quick Reply: S2000 replacement ideas