Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 replacement ideas

Old 12-03-2011, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Toyota Corolla seems like it meets every requirement you have. Enjoy!
Lol, yeh.... ;-)
Old 12-03-2011, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 460cidpower
Well I guess I've decided that I want a hard top, and at least four seats. Gas mileage needs to be at least 20MPG. Used is also what I want, albeit low miles. The E46 M3 is pretty sexy.

Oh, BTW, I love the STI as a car, but HATE the looks and I've heard that the build quality on the Evo aren't very good.
what do you mean by build quality? I did about 15 track days and 45k miles on my evo without anything ever going wrong. It was pushing about 320whp or 70 over stock the whole time. Only reason it's gone is because i crashed into a wall during a track day. Very durable car. It was an Evo IX. If you plan on adding more power or tracking it just make sure to get the 5 speed as the 6 speed transmission is a weak point.

An aside: if you are worried about insurance and thinking about an evo check before you buy. It was quite a bit more expensive then my viper to insure.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:22 PM

G8 GT
Old 12-03-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01
Originally Posted by 460cidpower' timestamp='1322945198' post='21207735

Well I guess I've decided that I want a hard top, and at least four seats. Gas mileage needs to be at least 20MPG. Used is also what I want, albeit low miles. The E46 M3 is pretty sexy.

Oh, BTW, I love the STI as a car, but HATE the looks and I've heard that the build quality on the Evo aren't very good.
what do you mean by build quality? I did about 15 track days and 45k miles on my evo without anything ever going wrong. It was pushing about 320whp or 70 over stock the whole time. Only reason it's gone is because i crashed into a wall during a track day. Very durable car. It was an Evo IX. If you plan on adding more power or tracking it just make sure to get the 5 speed as the 6 speed transmission is a weak point.

An aside: if you are worried about insurance and thinking about an evo check before you buy. It was quite a bit more expensive then my viper to insure.
Several people I talked to said that the STI was build like a tank and could take a beating, while most said Mitsu's as a whole aren't that mechanically sound. I do like the evo X looks a lot better. What kinda gas mileage did you get with your IX?
Old 12-03-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Christople
G8 GT
Well I said no chevys, but forgot ponchos... lol
Old 12-03-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by 460cidpower
Well the time has come that I'm selling my POS '04 Corvette Z06 and my wonderful '01 S2000 to my brother.

I will need a replacement for them.

I'm looking at spending no more then about $30k. The car I buy has to have a real stick shift (no man-u-matic) and be AWD or RWD.

It can't weight more then 3,900 lbs. I'd like to have 4 seats but two might be ok. I don't much care for Ford, Dodge or Chevy.

I'd really like it to be German or Japanese. It must be reliable and build well, almost S2000 quality. (if that's even possible)

Any ideas?
Maybe I should just buy another S and get something like a truck to haul people when need-be. Seeing as how it is such a magnificent car.... :-)
Old 12-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to say get a newer S2000 but it sounds like you got there on your own.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01
Originally Posted by 460cidpower' timestamp='1322945198' post='21207735

Damn. Sorry to hear that. Does track day insurance cover something like that?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:04 AM

Find you a used 911 to test drive ! It will change your life and you will KNOW for sure what car you WANT!
P.S. Be sure to tell Rockville how much of a POS the Vette was.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Silverstreak HX
Find you a used 911 to test drive ! It will change your life and you will KNOW for sure what car you WANT!
P.S. Be sure to tell Rockville how much of a POS the Vette was.
LOL

There is a reason GM should have went out of business. So far I've got $21k in parts, not counting labor in fixing mine/keeping mine running.

The list is as follows:

1. Clutch would get stuck to the floor, had to reach down and pull pedal back up
2. Electrical gremlins out the wazzo, from not wanting to start, to the traction control/ stability control failing, ABS box failed, stock radio failed
3. Gas tanks developed a crack that ran along the tops of them that cost $800 apiece (which after months of hounding, GM admitted it was a defect)
4. Stock shifter failed
5. transmission started randomly grinding gears
6. sun visor bracket failed that held the sun visor in place
7. center console hinge broke, as well as the little "lock" thingy
8. bracket that held the floor mats in broke
9. right at 60k miles the motor dropped a valve, killing the motor and most of it's attached parts (due to a bad batch of valve springs according to several people I talked to)
10. pop up head lights would sometimes work fine, other times not at all, sometimes going up by themselves for no reason
11. factory seats were garbage, the leather was horrible, and the seats under load would sometimes move, i.e. go to a leaned back position (not cool when driving "excited")
12. there's a lot more but I have to go now.... work calls

Quick Reply: S2000 replacement ideas