Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 replacement ideas

Old 12-02-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 replacement ideas

Well the time has come that I'm selling my POS '04 Whorevette Z06. My wonderful '01 S2000 is going to my brother.

I will need a replacement for them.

I'm looking at spending no more then about $30k. The car I buy has to have a real stick shift (no man-u-matic) and be AWD or RWD.

It can't weight more then 3,900 lbs. I'd like to have 4 seats but two might be ok. I don't much care for Ford, Dodge or Chevy.

I'd really like it to be German or Japanese. It must be reliable and built well, almost S2000 quality. (if that's even possible)

Any ideas?
Old 12-02-2011, 07:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Used or new. Hardtop or vert. You can get used Caymans for close to that now. Also, 135i for a usable back seat.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:53 PM

evo, sti, might find a stripped and higher mileage m3, 335, 370z, used boxster base or older s, g37...
Old 12-02-2011, 10:51 PM

used z4 3.0si? or z4 M coupe if you can find one for your budget. I would say NSX but I don't know how much people are really asking for those. Maybe wait and test drive Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ?
Old 12-02-2011, 10:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

E46 m3. For about 25k you can get me with pretty low miles. Great performance, decent reliability, and bmw luxury
Old 12-03-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by 460cidpower
Well the time has come that I'm selling my POS '04 Corvette Z06 and my wonderful '01 S2000 to my brother.

I will need a replacement for them.

I'm looking at spending no more then about $30k. The car I buy has to have a real stick shift (no man-u-matic) and be AWD or RWD.

It can't weight more then 3,900 lbs. I'd like to have 4 seats but two might be ok. I don't much care for Ford, Dodge or Chevy.

I'd really like it to be German or Japanese. It must be reliable and build well, almost S2000 quality. (if that's even possible)

Any ideas?
Well I guess I've decided that I want a hard top, and at least four seats. Gas mileage needs to be at least 20MPG. Used is also what I want, albeit low miles. The E46 M3 is pretty sexy.

Oh, BTW, I love the STI as a car, but HATE the looks and I've heard that the build quality on the Evo aren't very good.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ferocious_Zebra
used z4 3.0si? or z4 M coupe if you can find one for your budget. I would say NSX but I don't know how much people are really asking for those. Maybe wait and test drive Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ?
LOL @ NSX.... those things are crazy expensive still.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus is 250/350 not super fast but super reliable, and look awesome. BMW's look incredible but are really built like shit and will be more of a pos than that vette your selling. My brother sold his 05 Z06 not long ago for the same reason. It was constantly in the shop. We're mechanics by trade so after working on customers cars all day, you don't want to have to work on your own shit just to get home. He finally got sick of the constant problems. If your gonna buy a german car, make sure its new or very nearly. If you want a quality car that will last, you want a honda, or toyota product. They are far and away the best vehicles made, from a mechanics view anyway. Many will argue about there favorite brands or how there friends went 200k with no issues. But trust me, been working on all makes for nearly 16 years now, if you want the best, you want japanese. If you want to play rich and money is no object, you want european. If your a redneck, or you plan on replacing you car every 50k miles, you want American. I've got thousands of customers who have proved this point to me. Enjoy your new car.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the Japanese cars, I'm really happy with my nismo Z, but it has no back seats much less four doors, so it's off your list. I would guess the four door G35/G37 would feel a bit too heavy, plush, and numb. Toyota and Acura's offerings are pretty boring now, maybe the entry level Lexus like suggested before? An NSX is out, and I don't think Honda really has you covered. I also think Subarus are ugly, but for a car with four doors, practicality, and an element of fun-to-drive they make a good case. An STI sounds like a good option.

As for the Germans, the M3 is one I'd look at seriously, but you'll be paying maintenance on both a more expensive and an older vehicle. The 135i/335i would be another nice option but might push your budget. I've never heard consistent good reports on Audi's maintenance/reliability costs, and MB is a bit more luxury than anything. Porsche doesn't have what you're looking for, so unless you like the VW offerings you're kind of done with the Germans.

Man, there's not a lot of ringers!

Don't forget to pull insurance quotes well before you get set on a particular car. Maybe the 335i is cheap enough on insurance to justify a bit more on the car?
Old 12-03-2011, 03:46 PM

Toyota Corolla seems like it meets every requirement you have. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: S2000 replacement ideas