Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

(S2000 owners) Corvette C6 drive impressions?

Old 01-27-2005, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gomarlins3,Jan 25 2005, 11:05 PM
Since I can't find the smilie shaking his head as if he is ashamed of a response, I will go with this one:

Civic beating a Viper, that's a good one. Funny how it says 'Owner' under his avatar, yet he 'races' his Civic against Vipers.
My Civic is a daily driver and in no way would I race a Viper or a Vette!
Second it sure is funny how many times I have had to pass SLOW Corvettes while I am just trying to get to work on time
It looks like most older Vette owners think it is a 2 door plastic Buick or Caddy.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Banned

The Corvette is an excellent car, regarding the Z though, have you considered adding a turbo to it? Might change your mind.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrGTR,Jan 27 2005, 09:09 PM
The Corvette is an excellent car, regarding the Z though, have you considered adding a turbo to it? Might change your mind.
if i were going to tear into a motor and build it for boost, it'd be the LS2 and not a VQ. results would be a lot more gratifying on the LS2.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by alex s' date='Jan 27 2005, 11:02 PM
if i were going to tear into a motor and build it for boost, it'd be the LS2 and not a VQ. results would be a lot more gratifying on the LS2.
The VQ does hold its own, though those GM engines sure do take the cake for producing some very nice numbers. Don't hear a lot of VQ-LS transplants, but hear a lot of Rotary-LS ones (RX7s).
Old 01-29-2005, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by suzukas2000' date='Jan 24 2005, 03:04 PM
actually corvette would get better mileage on highway
it's rated at 28mpg, and s2000 is 25mpg
And you believe those ratings? Actually if you take it really easy and loaf it at 65-70mph w/o flooring it you can get 28mpg from what I have read in the vette forums, but that's taking it real easy.

Sam
Old 01-29-2005, 10:06 AM

re: service at dealer -- if you have any TSBs and still have warranty, you will need to see the dealer. C5 vettes have column lock issues, fuel sender issues, rocking driver's seat, and maybe a few other minor issues, but the dealer will have to repair them if you want warranty work. Same for the S2000. I have fuel filler neck/gas cap issue, had rear axle creak issue, and if I have a top issue I will need to go to the dealer.

The thing that worries me about a Vette, is that many of the issues listed above lived throught the entire C5 run, chevy ever bothered to address them and I have heard one of the 1st issues with the C6 is a faulty fuel sender. Is it the same bad sender that was in the C5? I think GM doesn't care about their products enough to make them as well as they could -- $$ is the bottom line and if the customer doesn't know any better then why fix it?

I really, really want(ed) a C5, especially a Z06, but I have heard from owners that they are great cars, but still a chevy. Many trips to the dealer for inconveniences I have yet to encounter in my Honda.

Also, on a trip to CA last year down I-5, I averaged about 29mpg in my '02 S2000, but around town that drops to about 20mpg. Seems like the Vette should be about the same or maybe a little better on gas milage than the S2000, but I suppose that all depends on how often you get on it. It just may be that you don't need to flog the vette as much to have fun, therefore better milage? (wishful thinking)
Old 01-29-2005, 01:51 PM

I have owned a 00' s2k and an 04' s2k and now drive a C6 coupe. Paid 45k (out the door) added Kooks headers and cats and Corsa exhaust 3k which put about 25 hp more to the wheels(I should get around 40 when tuning is available) and it sounds like a ferrari now.
The vette is brutaly fast,and it handles well.It is not in my opinion a true sports car.Its a great cross between a muscle car and a sports coupe and would be more of a touring car.You can ditch the 350z for the vette and you won't miss it but the s2k is a special car.My advice is keep the s2k sell the 350z cause there's no way your gonna mod it to keep up with a vette.Go to the lingefelter sight,for 6800.00 you can add a performance package that will give you 500 hp at the crank.If you turbo it its gonna give you 750hp at the wheels.And mine with 440 hp at the crank is very fast.I'm shoppin for another s2k right now to go with the vette cause the s2k still rocks.

Old 01-29-2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by archtop' date='Jan 29 2005, 02:51 PM
I have owned a 00' s2k and an 04' s2k and now drive a C6 coupe. Paid 45k (out the door) added Kooks headers and cats and Corsa exhaust 3k which put about 25 hp more to the wheels(I should get around 40 when tuning is available) and it sounds like a ferrari now.
The vette is brutaly fast,and it handles well.It is not in my opinion a true sports car.Its a great cross between a muscle car and a sports coupe and would be more of a touring car.You can ditch the 350z for the vette and you won't miss it but the s2k is a special car.My advice is keep the s2k sell the 350z cause there's no way your gonna mod it to keep up with a vette.Go to the lingefelter sight,for 6800.00 you can add a performance package that will give you 500 hp at the crank.If you turbo it its gonna give you 750hp at the wheels.And mine with 440 hp at the crank is very fast.I'm shoppin for another s2k right now to go with the vette cause the s2k still rocks.

Just wondering if you got the Z51 upgrade also?

How does the clutch and gearbox compare between the 2? I heard the C5's clutch and gearbox were bad, but supposedly improved for this year.

Btw, I stopped by my local Chevy dealership tonight after work and finally saw a C6 in person. I loved the way the car looked - I thought it looked much better in person than in pictures. It was a red C6. The salesman seemed more than willing to let me have a test drive, but he didn't have another one in at that time. The red one was already sold. I'll try a different dealership this week.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:27 AM

The clutch is fairly light and mine grabs about half way up.Shifting at first was stiff but after 2k miles is very smooth.The throws are much shorter than a c5 ,probably like your Z but not as good as an s2k.Coming from an s2k for almost 4 yrs. it was an adjustment but it is quite livable.I do have the z51 package.I upgraded the stereo cause I got the 1sa model and the base stereo really sucked.You might want to get the 1sb model and see if the upgraded bose system will work for you ( most people say that one sucks also),plus you get the HUD,auto dimming mirrors &heated seats.
One thing about all that torque that I discovered is that you have to be much more precise in matching your revs when downshiting. In the s2k I was used to coming out of a turn blipping and downshifting for power.If I wasn't rev matched the momentum of the car would continue to smoothly pull the car.The Vette has so much torque that if your not rev matched and downshift its like puttin on the brakes.Same thing with hard accelleration,if you let the revs drop between shifts its like you hit a brick wall. I guess less torque has some advantage after all!
I do like the car and have not had any problems what so ever after 3k miles.
Gas milage is not as good as the s2k if you drive it hard( which you will),if you baby it and drive it like the family sedan you can get the milage they claim.I average about 17 mpg,hey its got 400 ponies to feed.I still want another s2k ( thats whyI say keep yours if you can afford it),best sports car on the planet.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:54 AM

The only things I don't like about the vette is that there will be just too many of them out there, and it's more car than I need- in regard to power/speed.

So basically, it's because it's a top seller and performs too well.. Weird reasons to not want a car, but the truth.