Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 or Lotus Elise

Old 10-11-2003, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by dbw

and just to exite conversation..a good friend commented that driving my s2000 was just like driving his elise with boxing gloves on...

Thats absolutely hillarious. I felt the same way when i got out of my S and drove my friends supercharged Z06.

I really think the only way to really make this clear for you is to drive both cars. I dont know exactly how feasible that will be with the Elise, but at 38k, the car is not out of reach.

One of the locals here in so cali has a Exige (sp?) with a k20 motor putting down 250 to the wheels NA. He actually built the motor mounting kit and manifold for that motor as well. From what he has told me, the car is able to give you a bloody nose from the amount of lateral G's it can pull. I honestly dont doubt it.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:10 PM

I suppose there is no limit to price/performance options. As was stated, the Elise may not be out of reach. I think that with some serious track guys lightening their S2000s and putting in SCs, JRZ coilovers, etc., the performance between the two marques may become quite close. To again widen the gap, mods may need to be done with the Elise.

I really appreciate my S2000 with the ability I have had to modify/upgrade it myself. Given my track ability (that means suspect ability) and my S2000's capabilities, I think I will stick with this car for quite some time. Still thinking....
Old 10-11-2003, 05:54 PM

dbw

...will someone like honda/porsche even agree to sell power units for use in another car?..numbers of units available in bulk?,parts inventory and warrantee status?,liability?,re-certification?...a whole bunch of stuff...i'm not defending the current choice but we don't know all the details...as far as electronics/wiring go,the UK has come a long way..just ask happy jaguar owners...[and when was that spitfire built anyway..]
Good points.....But since Honda v6's are going in the saturn VUEs now as the "REDLINE model" (not really sure what that means.) I would assume that this would not be an issue as long as you are going to pay the engine manufacturer.

By the way you own some pretty cars. I have always wanted a Lotus but have had some friends that had them and I have learned from their mistakes.......It is kind of like having a high maintenence girlfriend and I just got rid of one of those.

Spitfire was a 1978. Really fun car but wow the electrical sucked. Have your Loti been good usable cars? or garage queens? How does the super 7 drive? That is still a looker. That is a car you can take your "best girl" out for a night on the town.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:56 PM

And the version 1 elise was so much prettier........
Old 10-11-2003, 06:43 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For me there would not be any question. I would take the Elise over the S2000 in a heartbeat. I'm not you and I like hard edged sports cars, do you?
Old 10-11-2003, 06:51 PM

How closely related is the Elise to the current MR Spyder in terms of perfromance and handling? Can the 1.8L high output engine be transplanted into the MR Spyder?
Old 10-11-2003, 07:17 PM

[QUOTE]CG
Old 10-11-2003, 08:46 PM

I've owned three British cars. Never again. As hard-edged as the Lotus is, I would never buy this first year (or latest, if you will) until I felt comfortable quality control issues have been abated and that usually is at least two model years down the road.
Sometimes, being the only guy on the block with a unique British sportscar means you're the only guy with a unique British sportscar on the blocks.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:01 AM

Having driven both a new (track only, 190hp Rover) Elise at Gingerman and on the road, and several S2000's (2001, 2002 and 2003), I will provide my comments. I have never driven a better car on the track than the Elise. You could place it anywhere, do anything and still post respectable times. It was an experience I will never forget. A great track car. On the street, the Elise was a little out of place, spartan interior and all... The S2000 feels much heavier, the engine and transmission (compared to the Rover combo) was nearly perfect. With the S2000, I could hear the radio, my wife's hair was not converted to a Don King doo, and I know it will protect me in a crash, or from the rain or snow. The Elise did not provide the same sort of comfort. The S2000 top is also perfect, as you all know, requiring less than six seconds to drop. The Elise will never compete with S2000 for comfort. I felt that the Elise was more suitable for my size (6'2"+) and I found the velcro seat pads to be great for custom fitting (think Arai helmet fitting for a representative idea). To sum up, the Elise is a street legal race car, and the S2000 is a track worthy road car. The Elise offered a more responsive driving environment, and the S2000 offered a more useable (long term) environment. I can't imagine an Elise with 75,000 miles, we all know that an S2000 has a long life left at 75,000 miles. Great topic...
Old 10-12-2003, 03:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gdonahue
Hey Paul.

Quick Reply: S2000 or Lotus Elise