Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 or Lotus Elise

Old 10-10-2003, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FCGuy
Tough call, depends on your priorities.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Prolene
Hearing about the Elise transmission and opinions about the Toyota engine have given me pause.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:59 PM

Honestly... the more I look at it... the more I think it looks like a hopped up MR2 Spyder!! Or a Miata on Crack!!

Sure, the car has the exotic, luxurious appeal, and maybe slightly more performance (somebody do the math for me, quick... what does 0-100km @ 5.9secs = in mph time?)... too late, and a wee bit buzzed this Friday for technical BS...
...but, something about it just does not have that.... classy, sexy, powerful (someone help me out here) appeal that the S has.
...Where the S has the "wow... what is that? that is pretty bad ass!"... I see the Lotus getting more of a "wow...? (one eyebrow raised john wayne style)... what the hell is that? ...kinda looks like something from that HotWheels cartoon..." comment...

I know it is rumored "best handling car in the world", and with maybe proper body modifications, wheels...etc... it could be a vary unique, very hot car. *(anything can look better with a kit though...)

For now... I'd stick with the S. Still rare enough to catch glances... and enough power driving bliss...
Old 10-10-2003, 06:04 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena
Old 10-10-2003, 06:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Prolene
In a totally different class, the Ford GT looks great.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:31 PM

how much is the Ford GT expected to be priced at?
Old 10-10-2003, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by joeking1978
how much is the Ford GT expected to be priced at?
Priced at $150K. Gulp... $500K!!!
Old 10-10-2003, 07:13 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

paulf1,

Check over at the England Forum and ask them about the Elise. They have had the car there for a couple years now. Different engine, but they can tell you about reliability and ride comfort, albeit from an S2000 owner's view point.

As for looks, it is subjective. I love the look of the Elise, but I have always liked race car looks. I love my S2000, but I never thought the looks of the car were as appealing as others seem to think. Many people think it is a Miata. The Elise will get looks and stares, but the image may not be right for you.

If I were buying today, I would probably get the Elise, but i would have to drive it first. I don't mind firm, but I don't want harsh. At only 5'8" and 155 pounds I would probably have no trouble getting in and out.

At the end of the day, it is a Lotus and it is being made in the old Lotus tradition of a cutting edge, light weight, stiff chassis with a proven engine and tranny that were originally designed for a much heavier car.

As for power, etc, don't believe what you read here about the engine/tranny combination being "slow" or poorly matched to the car. Based on all reports I have read, the Elise is a full step above the S2000 in every performance area, except maybe top speed where it is about even. People here have spent twice the difference in the price between the two cars on mods that didn't make the S2000 go as well as the Elise.

Good luck.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:07 PM

I was reading about this car and seroiusly looked into the Sunspeed.com version. Version1 elise with a b18c and it screams(200hp). Too many issues with repairs. It is a Lotus, parts from England if something is broken.

Honda parts from Japan are faster to get here, and the weight Standard Elise w/ Rover engine 770 kg (1694 lb.) I'm not liking those odds if you get in a wreck......You are pretty much done. Crazy expensive if you ever need to take it to them. My dad's friend just got rid of his Esprit. Said it was the happiest day of his life. Car sucked him dry and he is a MD.

The first versions are suppose to have the rover engines(140hp) in them and those are some of the worst engines on the planet. Constantly fouled plugs and other issues. I didn't go for it and I never will after spending some time with the car. It is pretty neat, but not for me. Version 2 cars are going to have the Toyota engines. Good if you have a dealer close but my dealer is 20 minutes away from my house and I am not interested.

But on the + side have you ever seen a girl with a short skirt get out of one? Good times! Good times! A friend of mine is getting one for just that reason. Did I mention....Good times?
Old 10-10-2003, 08:24 PM

Very interesting topic. I was just talking with my buddy about this very thing two nights ago. The first thing he said to me was that he could totally see me in an Elise. Funny. As much as I luv my S (i would take a bullet for her) I dont think I would even hesitate to trade it for the Lotus. The fact that it weighs 800 pounds less is almost reason enough for me.

The reason i bought the S in the first place was because of its no frills personality. The Elise pushes this envelope to a different level entirely. I am sure the car would kill you if you drove it everyday.

I guess thats part of the equation for me. Not only am I 5'9" and under 140, but i am buying a Scion as soon they get another one in stock

Quick Reply: S2000 or Lotus Elise