Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 decision...PLEASE HELP

Old 05-13-2002, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 decision...PLEASE HELP

Hello all and thanks. Here is my delima:

I have a 2000 Prelude. I have built the motor and turbocharged the car. My problem is that the I have not had the car for 8 months now, it was in one shop for 4 months and now it's in another shop. Anyway, my motor just blew, but everything is taken care of is about to be repaired.
I am not interested in the car anymore, I spent a lot of money on it but having been under stress for such a long time about the car has made me deplore owning it.

As soon as I get it back I think that I will sell it and get an S2K, but before I do I need some suggestions.

Here is a list of mods for the prelude:

JE 9.5:1 pistons
Eagle Rods
Nuformz Blockguard
Bored 0.20 over
Darton Sleeves
Stock head with mild 3 angle valve job
Fmax manifold
60-1 turbo
Tial wastegate
Polished piping
HKS SSBOV
Spearco FMIC
3" Downpipe
SpeedPro Engine Management
850cc injectors
STR fuel rail
Aeromotive FPR
Aeromotive Fuel Pump
Blitz DTT
GReddy Profec B
Aragosta Coilover Suspension
Spoon SW388's (16")
Plus other things like gauges, JDM BB6 parts, etc.
I have spent close to 20G's on mods. Both the car and the mods are paid for in full. The car's estimated dyno is over 400WHP on pump gas and 500WHP on 118 octane.

Do you think that it is worth selling for an S2K, or should I stick with it? If I were to get an S2K the best price I have received is sticker on it, is that good?

Anyway I am a mess right now, I just need some advice.

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:33 AM

Not much of an aftermarket parts person myself but from a business person's point of view. The parts and the money you spent on your prelude is considered sunk cost. Sunk cost is hard to understand and even harder to live with. In the end it just means forget what you have spent, you cant get it back and move on. As for the price on the car. I bought mine used, I paid $27,000 out the door and the car was in excellent condition, one door ding, and one chip on the hood. My suggestion is to look for a used one. These cars, Hondas in general are built well, as you might know. But judging from the condition of your Prelude it seems to me that you might have over built the motor. I have no clue on that sutff so you must know better than I do. Okay enough with the business sense stuff. From my personal view point my suggesion is to ditch the Prelude and buy the S2000. Two years ago I opted to buy a "fixer upper" house in a very very well to do neighborhood. I paid $360,000 for a house that should have been about $475,000. Give me a second and I will get to my point. My other option was to spend the $360,000 and buy a great house in an average neighborhood. Anyway, after buying the house I spent 8 months with contractors trying to get the house to a "liveable" condition. In the 8 months I waited for my house I was stressed beyond belief. With a wedding on the way, and the stock market crashing (along with my career) at the same time. Here is my point. The car is giving problems now. And will most likely continue to plague your life with sleepless nights. The time you spend in fitfull rage and dire anguish is truely not worth it. Life is short drive fast. Driving fast is impossible when the car is in the shop. So go get a car that will allow you to have some fun, immediate fun. Forget about what has already happened. Just move on.

By the way, I had my house appraised earlier this year. The appraisal price was right inline with the amount I spent on the house and the cost to fix it. NOT INCLUDING the stress, tears, blood, flesh, etc.

Just my 2000cents worth. Sorry it took so long.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:46 AM

You *can* get some money back for the mods if you can return the car to near stock and part out your aftermarket stuff. You should be able to get 50-70% of what you paid for each part you sell.

I'd say get the S2000 if only for the fact that it's RWD.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:56 AM

I'd say dump the Prelude and get a Cobra or Vette. It sounds like you will probably do the same damage to the S that you did to the Prelude (only more expensive damage). IMHO
Old 05-13-2002, 12:02 PM

I would say go for the S.

Old 05-13-2002, 01:26 PM

I appreciate the candid nature of all who replied. My Prelude just might be turned back into the factory condition. If it is possible to do so then I will buy an S2000. I can sell all the parts for the Prelude and don't mind loosing 40% of what I initially paid for all the parts that I bought.

I am awaiting the answer from the people that are in the process of rebuilding the Prelude to let me know if it is totally possible to bring it back completely to stock. And what I am really interested in is how long it will take.

As I already have a daily driver, the Prelude was my toy. Thus the S2000 will be my new toy. I am thinking of just letting the dealer install a Comptech S/C on it, that way I will not spend my money (if there is any left) on modding it and it will still be under full warranty. I prefer to buy an new and not used S2000 because at least I will know how well it was taken care of.

I was just accepted into University and have plans for my future. The car modifying part of my life will have to be put on hold for a while, and I also do not want to deal with headaches of the Prelude breaking down over and over. That is why I think this would be the best decision to make.

darth_2k
I understand completely with what you are trying to say. I myself just bought a condo and did the very thing that you did. It is a water front condo on Clear Lake, and has full access to the Gulf of Mexico. I paid well below market value for it and spent some money refurbishing it. Now it is worth a little more though than the actual cost and the refurbishing. I guess I was just lucky. I would buy an S2000 used, but I am too scared of acquiring a lemon.

Anyway, again I say thanks for your responses. I look forward to hearing some more from others as well.