Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 or Cayman S?

Old 07-26-2012, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by liquid_helix136
I feel that most german cars lifespan is ~100k miles, so if your buying a Cayman S (which is a sporty car so its possibly been ragged on a bit) with 90k miles, I see that as it being about 90% through its life. Obviously this isn't a solid figure, but I'm sure your bound to have some issues after a few months with the car and theyre gonna be expensive.
I think moden P cars built a lot better than they used to be, the difference between this Cayman and the S2000 is that one requires less and cheaper maintenance, and the Honda will probably provide fewer problems overall (large or small).

My thoughts on this, and what I would tell a family member/friend in this situation is that I don't recommend buying a Porsche if the beginning statement is " budget is xxx, and thus I can only afford a high mileage one".

"Budget", "afford" and "high mileage" are 3 keywords to avoid when considering a Porsche and in the big picture its probably not a idea, and screams you cannot afford it. I am not saying you can't, I don't know your finances but if you can spend a little more why limit yourself to $23K? I would much rather spend a little more, maybe 8 - 10K more and get one with lower mileage so you don't have to limit yourself to a higher mileage one...
Old 07-26-2012, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by CenturionS2K' timestamp='1343317133' post='21890973
Get the s2000. It think it's a much better value, more fun, reliable and will hold it's value. Do your research on Caymans--engine/over rev issues and high maintenance costs. Caymans are amazing cars, but not as special and doesn't have the same community as the s2000. Being part of the s2ki community adds significant value to s2000 ownership. S2000 all the way
I won't go into too much detail but Caymans are generally pretty bulletproof, every car has it's issues. I know of 4 local AP2's that have lost a motor either stock or with just boltons/tune. Maintenance is not any worse than a S2000 if you DIY and as an owner of both a Cayman S and a S2000 before I wouldn't say the S2000 is more fun but I will say the community here is much better.
^^^ This is what I've found to be true scouring various Porsche forums, specifically Planet9 regarding high mileage reliability. Obviously it's a somewhat of a gamble getting any high mileage car, but the question I was really getting at was whether the Cayman S is worth that risk.

Originally Posted by Kameha
Hi. Since you mentioned school and the track, the obvious choice would be a S2000. In respect to the Cayman: are you willing to accept $200 oil changes, more expensive tires and brakes, 2 year services at $350 and 4 year services at 1k at a minimum? This is notwithstanding repairs out of warranty. If you answered yes, go for it -- under the assumption that a high mileage Porsche can really set you back financially.
My pros of the Cayman: prestige, excellent dealer experience (great loaners), no one asks what brand of car it is (always got asked that in the s2000), decent power in the base (50hp more in the S),, more torque,decent interior, great engine noise, a bit more interior room, all around fun car.
Cons: maintenance, more fear of door dings and accidents, no VTEC, no drop top, shifter can't compete with the S2000 (but what else can?!!), some people think you are a snob, needs to be warmed up in the morning.
The S2000 was, and still is the most fun car I've owned. Relatively inexpensive while having a go-cart feeling that I have yet to experience. A true marvel of engineering.
Thanks for the post. While the maintenance would indeed put a strain when it comes around, it's probably not as tight as you think. I'm very lucky to be in the financial situation I am being so young.
Originally Posted by calebzimm
I just checked Autotrader and the cheapest Cayman S I could find was an 06 with 55kmiles for $28k. Not a bad price but in comparison you can have a very clean S2k CR for that, which personally I'd rather have.
I would be looking at ones that are more in the range of 85k miles and up. Yes you're very right, 28k is out of the range I want to be in. 23k isn't my end-all budget, but something I'd like to adhere to as much as possible.

Edit: I'm not looking at a Cayman just because it's a Porsche. Through my research I've found that people that like the s2000, tend to like the Cayman. That's it. People giving their opinions on reasons to NOT get the Cayman or x car is what I'm looking for, as well as those who have owned or know someone who owns a high mileage anything really.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:42 PM
vbb

I sorta/kinda thought about replacing my S2000 and TSX with a Cayman S and perhaps a beater of some sort. The Cayman S looks to be a fantastic car and a nice upgrade from the S2000 in the sense that it has more torque down low (where you'll use it around town), a better interior, and a great driving feel. It's more plush and has more luxury whereas the S2000 is more raw. And of course it can MORE than handle its own on a track with that fantastic mid-engine layout.

That said, your $23K budget is a limiting factor. You can get so much more S2000 for that price range than Cayman, and the cost to own, fuel, repair, and track will be vastly cheaper. Honestly I wouldn't even look into a Cayman S unless you're prepared to jump your budget up by $10K.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd buy a nice low mileage AP2 and superchae it. Can be over 300whp no problem and still be way under the price of a decent cayman S.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:40 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

For your situation, no question, s2k, then upgrade to a fresher cayman s later. The insurance on an s2 is no joke thoug.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:26 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

You may also want to find out if the track you go to will allow the S without modifications (rollbar, hardtop, etc....)
Old 07-30-2012, 06:27 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction
I'd buy a nice low mileage AP2 and superchae it. Can be over 300whp no problem and still be way under the price of a decent cayman S.
I think I'd look for a FI BRZ before an FI S2000.

At any rate, I'd prob get an S2000 than stretch for a Cayman. A $3k hardtop is still in your budget with the Honda.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:32 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Cayman S is nice and all...I'd love to drive one, but there are so much better cars out there for the money that are on par luxury wise and much faster.

People buy Caymans and Boxsters because they don't want to pay for a 911. Plain and simple.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedCelica
People buy Caymans and Boxsters because they don't want to pay for a 911. Plain and simple.
Here we go again...
Old 07-30-2012, 06:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Cayman S is nice and all...I'd love to drive one, but there are so much better cars out there for the money that are on par luxury wise and much faster.
Such as? I can't think of anything with a similar package of handling, power, luxury in the 30-40K price range except maybe a really high mileage 08 E92 M3.

Quick Reply: S2000 or Cayman S?