Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 or Cayman S?

Old 07-26-2012, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With 23k, couldnt you buy an 06 s2k and also buy a supercharger for that extra hp/tq? Or even find a low mileage that has already been supercharged.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HwangTKD
Where can you get a cayman S for 23k?
You can't, you can't even really get a decent base Cayman for 23.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CenturionS2K
Get the s2000. It think it's a much better value, more fun, reliable and will hold it's value. Do your research on Caymans--engine/over rev issues and high maintenance costs. Caymans are amazing cars, but not as special and doesn't have the same community as the s2000. Being part of the s2ki community adds significant value to s2000 ownership. S2000 all the way
I won't go into too much detail but Caymans are generally pretty bulletproof, every car has it's issues. I know of 4 local AP2's that have lost a motor either stock or with just boltons/tune. Maintenance is not any worse than a S2000 if you DIY and as an owner of both a Cayman S and a S2000 before I wouldn't say the S2000 is more fun but I will say the community here is much better.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishfryer
Originally Posted by bloodzombie' timestamp='1343296119' post='21890280
Based on your price range and the fact that you're in school, I would say to get the S2k. It's a nice step up from your Civic, it's reliable and it's not going to cost you a nut when something does break.
I'd go a step further and suggest you wait until you get out of school and start on your career before you get a car. Maybe try and get a cushion in case we double dip into a recession like Britain has or collapse like Greece or Spain. I'm not sure if you've seen the news, but the job market is tight. But it sounds like your financial situation is probably waaaaaaaay different than mine was in college, it sounds like you don't eat a lot of Ramen noodles and cereal.

So, forget the waiting part, I say get the Porsche.. Live it up, it's only money, Bernanke will print more, loans are cheap, Caymans are fun.. You deserve the best. Enjoy and don't forget to post pics!!
Hahaha, I love the change of heart fishfryer.

$.02 Consider if you're going to track the car. I paid off my S2k before tracking it and briefly considered trading in for a Z06, Exige or Cayman S. The cost of tracking may be the same between them and the S2k(probably not), but figured i can't in good conscious track a ~40k car with the risk of totaling it. Got other things to take care of first. If I did it again I'd consider getting a cheap track-prepped miata early on.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:59 AM

They are both great cars. But why buy a high mileage car, when you can get a low mileage S2000 for a lot less? If you are looking at a Porsche just for the name, then ok whatever, but I just don't know why you would want a high mileage car from a company who is notorious for having high repair bills. I'm not saying that a high mileage car is bad (my 00 S200 had 93K on the odometer) but you do open yourself up to, potentially, having more maintenance issues.

Mike
Old 07-26-2012, 01:27 PM

It's simple really, Cayman S and S2000 aren't in the same price range. So if your price range is the most important factor (for most people it is) your obvious choice is the S2000. I would never want to own a high mileage Porsche due to the maintenance costs. After the VANOS failed on my my M3, I swore off unwarrantied german cars.

S2000 is cheaper to own, and you can get a very nice one for less than $23k.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:53 PM

Hi. Since you mentioned school and the track, the obvious choice would be a S2000. In respect to the Cayman: are you willing to accept $200 oil changes, more expensive tires and brakes, 2 year services at $350 and 4 year services at 1k at a minimum? This is notwithstanding repairs out of warranty. If you answered yes, go for it -- under the assumption that a high mileage Porsche can really set you back financially.
My pros of the Cayman: prestige, excellent dealer experience (great loaners), no one asks what brand of car it is (always got asked that in the s2000), decent power in the base (50hp more in the S),, more torque,decent interior, great engine noise, a bit more interior room, all around fun car.
Cons: maintenance, more fear of door dings and accidents, no VTEC, no drop top, shifter can't compete with the S2000 (but what else can?!!), some people think you are a snob, needs to be warmed up in the morning.
The S2000 was, and still is the most fun car I've owned. Relatively inexpensive while having a go-cart feeling that I have yet to experience. A true marvel of engineering.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:55 PM

I just checked Autotrader and the cheapest Cayman S I could find was an 06 with 55kmiles for $28k. Not a bad price but in comparison you can have a very clean S2k CR for that, which personally I'd rather have.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S2000 for obvious reasons.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I feel that most german cars lifespan is ~100k miles, so if your buying a Cayman S (which is a sporty car so its possibly been ragged on a bit) with 90k miles, I see that as it being about 90% through its life. Obviously this isn't a solid figure, but I'm sure your bound to have some issues after a few months with the car and theyre gonna be expensive.

Quick Reply: S2000 or Cayman S?