Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 Alternative Options

Old 04-26-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
I've driven my S from Phoenix to Los Angeles many times, and on many 2-lane roads. I don't find the ride too uncomfortable for long trips. The fuel tank size alone will dictate stops. I find these at a minimum to be adequate in road trips for allowing stretch breaks.

Many others have made much longer journeys and survived quite well
Agreed. Who ever told the OP this is uncomfortable for longer trips is certainly not someone into sports cars.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:15 PM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
I've driven my S from Phoenix to Los Angeles many times, and on many 2-lane roads. I don't find the ride too uncomfortable for long trips. The fuel tank size alone will dictate stops. I find these at a minimum to be adequate in road trips for allowing stretch breaks.

Must be a young man.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:26 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer' timestamp='1430089156' post='23592112

Agreed. Who ever told the OP this is uncomfortable for longer trips is certainly not someone into sports cars.
My ears would ring after that drive.

I've put 100k on an S. Massive road trips, all of the West Coast. I was willing to put up with it. The stock cabin is load, and top down driving is over 95db.

Ride is firm, you feel everything. I am not complaining but let's not act like this is a GT car.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:01 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2

I've put 100k on an S. Massive road trips, all of the West Coast. I was willing to put up with it. The stock cabin is load, and top down driving is over 95db.

Ride is firm, you feel everything. I am not complaining but let's not act like this is a GT car.
Someone else mentioned "Boxster, Z4, SLK, Corvette". I figure the fatigue would be similar.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:30 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1430097972' post='23592224

Someone else mentioned "Boxster, Z4, SLK, Corvette". I figure the fatigue would be similar.
All those cabins are quieter.

Z4 with hard top is a great setup, with top down option but top up quiet.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The word I use for the S2K is "Quick" because that is how it is different, and better, than anything else.
Sure, my turbo treatment makes it even "quicker" but the car is on rails, great transmission, very connected with the road.

I just got mine and I drove it 1500 miles back from Texas in 2-1/2 days.
Next I drove it with my seatcovers 1-1/2 hours to an event and then a drive and then back, easy.
Then I drove it 1725 miles round trip down to the Rock the Dragon event 575 miles away.

I'm 55 years old and yes it is loud and tight confines but did all 600 miles home with the top down and it was glorious!
I could have bought a similar age/miles SLK for the same money. My wife wishes I had. Her ex just bought one, same year, same price, fewer miles than mine. It is spectacular, heavy, not the same thing at all and will be a very expensive car to own, but it is drop top, tight, classy, very comfortable, but it ain't no sports car.
All depends on what you want. I was planning on the Porsche but changed my mind. Vettes suck, rattlebox fiberglass things but the roadholding, performance are impressive. I suppose the BMW could be better for the OP but it isn't an S2000, nothing is.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S2000 + hard top + dynomat+ coil overs with a soft setting.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlM47
I'm also aware of the noise and harsh road ride that might make the S2000 not so suitable as an interstate cruiser.
We've been all over the US in ours. Interstates generally aren't a problem since most are well maintained and smooth.

Originally Posted by CarlM47
Any suggestions for an alternative roadster that would minimize the perceived negatives without giving up too much of the benefits?
You have to indicate how much you're willing to compromise. If you want something very comfortable then you need to be looking at GT's instead.

It sounds to me like you need to spend some time behind the wheels of various options versus relying just on what you've read.

Comfort is always a subjective matter and there are prior discussions about the comfort of the S2000 on longer road trips that demonstrate this. It's not just a mater of "being into sports cars" or not.

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol' timestamp='1430100102' post='23592252
All those cabins are quieter.
+1. I'd suggest those for someone looking for a quieter cabin but there's always a tradeoff. You don't get something for nothing.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just relocated from Austin to Atlanta and drove the Exige. S2000 uncomfortable... That's cute.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:28 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

If you just moved from Austin to ATL, why does your profile say you live in Tampa

Quick Reply: S2000 Alternative Options