Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

s2000 or 350z

Old 10-08-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2000 or 350z

thinking of selling my s for a nissan 350z. i only have one car and i would like more interior room, less cabin noise, and torque. can anyone give me a quick review on the 350 but only if you have driven it in normal traffic as well as driving enthusiastically. is the steering quick and is it more comfy and easier to put up with day to day compared to the s?
Old 10-08-2009, 01:06 AM

If you're looking for something with more torque that has more room and quieter over all then a Z is right up your alley. Steering ratio is quite a bit slower than an S2000 and it is much more livable for everyday driving.

It sits around 2500 RPM in 6th gear at highway speeds and is quieter overall inside.

Now I will suggest that you ignore the people who will post complaining about things that are completely irrelevant to your inquiries like how heavy it is, fun factor, etc.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Abdizzle,Oct 8 2009, 01:06 AM
If you're looking for something with more torque that has more room and quieter over all then a Z is right up your alley. Steering ratio is quite a bit slower than an S2000 and it is much more livable for everyday driving.

It sits around 2500 RPM in 6th gear at highway speeds and is quieter overall inside.

Now I will suggest that you ignore the people who will post complaining about things that are completely irrelevant to your inquiries like how heavy it is, fun factor, etc.

If you like it and are happy, then it shouldn't matter what people say.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:11 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Great car, seems like you described it in your demands. Get an 07-08, if you do get an 07, make sure the clutch master cyl recall was done.
Driving it around, it's very civil, almost like driving an accord, but when you start pushing it you'll find it's a willing dance partner. It won't have all the moves the S has (it actually pretty much does, just doesn't feel that way) but it's a nice compromise.

While we're on this topic, guys who own this car, how is working on it? Things like oil changes, plugs, light modding, etc? How are the labor costs for more rigorous things? I took a peek under the hood and found that it looks like a pain in the ass, maybe not as much as the Z32s but it's definitely no rwd 4 cyl.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:43 AM

I drive my cousin's '08 350Z around every now and then since he left it at my house for the next year or so... It's a long story.

Anyway, here are some things I've noted in the HR motor 350Z:

'08 350Z Touring coupe w/ 6-speed manual transmission:
- Z is very quick in a straight line
- No matter how well you attempt to shift, you can always feel a little bit of hesitation, as though the Z is about to jerk. Idk how to explain it too much.
- The Z is not fun to drive on a twisty road.
- Even while driving below speed limit everywhere, the car can barely manage 20 mpg; on the other hand, I averaged between 22-25 mpg with mostly city driving in my S, even while driving quickly.
- There's instant torque in every gear in the Z.
- The car looks plain in every factory color, but that's probably because there are so many 350Zs around, which makes it a better daily driver since it doesn't draw too many heads.
- It's "fun-to-drive" ratio is far less than the S2000's.
- It's only a fun sports car to drive if you only enjoy going straight... That doesn't sound right.
- You can feel that it weighs a lot.
- Even though its exhaust isn't loud, it sounds louder and better than the S2K.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:56 AM

The 350Z seems like a good fit for your reqs.

I'd say maybe check out a [used] 335 Coupe (I'm not sure how the pricing compares in the used market). Same thing: good DD, sporty, decent interior room, quieter. Make sure you get a CPO/warranty on any BMW.

If you'd consider a domestic, a C6 Coupe is a stellar bargain in the used market and it's highly livable as a DD, loads of TQ, nice targa roof (so you'd still have an open air option) and a pretty goodly amount of storage. Look at a Z51 optioned car for the improved gearing, brakes, suspension (it's a super cheap option).

Old 10-08-2009, 07:28 AM

I've driven an '08 350Z extensively. It has a lot more low-end and mid-range torque compared to the S. It runs out of breath long before the redline, and the engine is coarse in the upper register.

The steering is nicely weighted, though numb and lacking in feedback, just like the S.

The suspension feels less sophisticated than that of the S to me. The ride feels more compliant at low speeds, but strangely enough, feels harsh once the speeds pick up.

You can feel the mass in the twisties. It's not as eager to change direction, and you can feel the understeer in corner-entry and mid-corner.

Brakes were quite good. They were adequate, but didn't leave much of an impression on me.

Overall, I felt it to be a more useful and comfortable car as a daily driver, than the S. But I wouldn't exactly call it roomy.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:35 AM

You want to trade a 2-seater for another 2-seater and you say you want more room? Just get A Genesis! 2009 Car of Year for only $30,000! Put some 20s and shaved off the emblems and you swear its a Benz!
Old 10-08-2009, 09:14 AM

Im a taller guy and I found the 350z a bit cramped something you may want to consider before you ste your on one.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i would have to agree, if buying a 350Z try to go above the MY06+, the interior on the early models looked very crappy. if your gunna live with this car on a daily bases, go for a 06+ model. overall i dont have any negatives on the Z but i dont own one so i wouldnt know how it response for DD useage. overall the choice is yours.

Quick Reply: s2000 or 350z