Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 or...

Old 08-07-2013, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not everyone comes back... I left the s2k and every time i think of going back to one, i think of how my back felt after 2 hours of driving it.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 AM

not everyone comes back... I left the s2k and every time i think of going back to one, i think of how my back felt after 2 hours of driving it.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
The age old question.
The mustang is a much larger car with useable back seats, so there's alot more you can fit into a stang than you can with an S. That said, that issue doesn't come up often, and if you're thinking like ski trips and that kind of thing, you're going to be in a similar position with either car.
I honestly say it comes down to your situation. As a budget second/weekend car, the S, imho, is the absolute best. Considering you could find them all day long for under 20K in good condition, and even cheaper if youre really stretching it, few cars offer the fun to dollar value. With that said, as an only car that value shifts. I'm sure alot will disagree, but I alot will also agree, DDing the car is 1) a waste and 2) just not fun. No torque in stop and go traffic gets old. It's loud, makes early morning commutes when all you want to do is just get to where you're trying to get to painful. You can't stretch out in it. Essentially, it wants to be in superman mode all the time, and clark kent mode is just miserable. I DDed my 2000 for a couple years in college and work. Throw in some stop and go on hills and well yeah.
So the allure to buy another car is reasonable, especially if you're the type that buys a car for what you do with it 99% of the time.
For me, what draws me back to the S is the price. I'd have to spend well over 10K for something else that I want, and I have a paid for DD so this car will maybe get a few thousand miles a year. So for me the S makes a compelling argument, which is starting to diminish since now I'm eyeing C5Zs again, and those folks arent regretting their switches even though they are still quite fond of the S.
But going back to what you were talking about, I'd forgo the 2011 and get a 2012+, never buy the first year of anything and the 2011 had a TSB/recall on the trans IIRC, the 2012s were fixed. I know a guy at the ford dealer, seems to be a non factor as several of them there own 2012+s.
Another thing that's kind of hard for me to let go of about the S is what no one is willing to admit. For a lot of us, the S was the first "nice nice" car you got, meaning you went from say a civic to the S. So a move, even to a great car, like the FRS, or mustang 5.0, etc, just feels like a bit of a downgrade as we've grown accustomed to owning a "special" car. Im finally old enough to see trends completley come on and go. I remember when integras were the car to have, and then died out. I'm sure itll come back strong as a cult car soon, but driving one just doesn't feel special as it did back in the 90s except to those fanbois. Whereas cars like the RX7 or supra remained cool and lustworthy, and the S fall into that category.
One thing I love in life is being somewhere unexpecting, then watching someone open their garage and tucked inside is like a celica all trac, or hemi cuda, the other day I met a guy with a typhoon. Instant convo starters, and I feel the S has alot of that.
That for me is one of the hardest things to let go of too.
I did test drive a boss 302 but not a simple gt. I loved the torque so much but missed the light and nimble feeling the S has! thank u very much for your responce to my question that being said, do u recommend any decently cheap DD?
Old 08-07-2013, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First time I left the S2000 I came back. This came, I don't expect to, though only time will tell. I loved driving my S2000 on the track and on those nice top down days, but much of the time it was too noisy and too cramped. I'd probably have stuck w/ it had it been a hardtop coupe.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:02 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

the S2000 is a pretty awesome car. I would get a practical DD
Old 08-07-2013, 07:00 PM

Try a c5z, or a c6z... you won't go back. What they say about torque is true, its awesome!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by keungsteven
The age old question.
The mustang is a much larger car with useable back seats, so there's alot more you can fit into a stang than you can with an S. That said, that issue doesn't come up often, and if you're thinking like ski trips and that kind of thing, you're going to be in a similar position with either car.
I honestly say it comes down to your situation. As a budget second/weekend car, the S, imho, is the absolute best. Considering you could find them all day long for under 20K in good condition, and even cheaper if youre really stretching it, few cars offer the fun to dollar value. With that said, as an only car that value shifts. I'm sure alot will disagree, but I alot will also agree, DDing the car is 1) a waste and 2) just not fun. No torque in stop and go traffic gets old. It's loud, makes early morning commutes when all you want to do is just get to where you're trying to get to painful. You can't stretch out in it. Essentially, it wants to be in superman mode all the time, and clark kent mode is just miserable. I DDed my 2000 for a couple years in college and work. Throw in some stop and go on hills and well yeah.
So the allure to buy another car is reasonable, especially if you're the type that buys a car for what you do with it 99% of the time.
For me, what draws me back to the S is the price. I'd have to spend well over 10K for something else that I want, and I have a paid for DD so this car will maybe get a few thousand miles a year. So for me the S makes a compelling argument, which is starting to diminish since now I'm eyeing C5Zs again, and those folks arent regretting their switches even though they are still quite fond of the S.
But going back to what you were talking about, I'd forgo the 2011 and get a 2012+, never buy the first year of anything and the 2011 had a TSB/recall on the trans IIRC, the 2012s were fixed. I know a guy at the ford dealer, seems to be a non factor as several of them there own 2012+s.
Another thing that's kind of hard for me to let go of about the S is what no one is willing to admit. For a lot of us, the S was the first "nice nice" car you got, meaning you went from say a civic to the S. So a move, even to a great car, like the FRS, or mustang 5.0, etc, just feels like a bit of a downgrade as we've grown accustomed to owning a "special" car. Im finally old enough to see trends completley come on and go. I remember when integras were the car to have, and then died out. I'm sure itll come back strong as a cult car soon, but driving one just doesn't feel special as it did back in the 90s except to those fanbois. Whereas cars like the RX7 or supra remained cool and lustworthy, and the S fall into that category.
One thing I love in life is being somewhere unexpecting, then watching someone open their garage and tucked inside is like a celica all trac, or hemi cuda, the other day I met a guy with a typhoon. Instant convo starters, and I feel the S has alot of that.
That for me is one of the hardest things to let go of too.
I did test drive a boss 302 but not a simple gt. I loved the torque so much but missed the light and nimble feeling the S has! thank u very much for your responce to my question that being said, do u recommend any decently cheap DD?

That nimbleness is going to be hard to replicate with anything with a roof and back seats, plain and simple. People like to say or the E46M, oh this or that, but short of a boxster type car, it's going to be impossible to find within a reasonable budget. Honestly, if you want the best fun:dollar ratio car, you'd be hard pressed to forego the S, so with that in mind if you move onto other cars, you will gain something but lose something else, namely that nimbleness. For me, I found the mustang to be great, although just a bit big and I don't mean in the way it drives because I think it does that well, just the high beltline and the sheer proportions. It's footprint side by side with a 3 series really isn't that significant, but the styling choices jsut make it feel more cavernous. I prefer the lines and feel of something like the Gen coupe, just feels leaner (not saying it necessarily drives better, just talking about sitting in the car parked and walking around it).
So the thought is, well I dont want a vert, I want more torque, something in the similar class as the S, good value, so.... what does that leave you? Obviously the 350Z. I happen to like the Z, alot, it was the car in college I told myself I'd buy with my first job (didnt happen, wound up getting an S senior year). The styling sums up the car, either you love it or hate it. You either focus on its shortcomings or focus on the package it gives you. A car is all about compromises, I feel the cult classics tend to overload on something and sacrifice alot somewhere else, whereas the cars that tend to sell well but eventually fade out are the try to do everything but excel at nothing cars. And that's sorta where the Z lands. They are getting dirt cheap, but you need to read up on them, certain years certain problems, but overall late 04 and early non anniversary 05s, and 07+ for me are the best to get for a variety of reasons. But the consensus with those cars is that you will grow bored with them.
For me, I'm really considerig a C5Z, but you will have to pay low 20s for a good one, and then a 08+ C6 Z51 is a bit more,then a new mustang is that much more, and I go down that slippery slope reasoning and go in circles.
I'm also waiting to see how the new mustang turns out, 5.0 engine, promised lighter weight (and honestly the weight isnt that bad considering its competitors, but still heavy and lighter would be better), and IRS, mustang price, sounds like a winner winner to me. Then theres the new camaro which is supposed to share the Cadillac ATS platform which got rave reviews. Then there's the new hemi cuda which is supposed to be based on a smaller platform like the stang and camaro. Then the gen coupe is due for a full refresh soon, and who knows maybne theyll drop the gen rspect 5.0l v8 into it. Then there's the rumors on the new Z, smaller, cheaper, simpler.
In short, you're asking the wrong guy for what you should get next, this is what keeps me up at night. lol.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:12 PM

In short, you're asking the wrong guy for what you should get next, this is what keeps me up at night. lol.
haha thanks anyways! it seems that you have given it much thought! jw tho, u mentioned the boxer. why not the Cayman?
Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 PM

haha thanks anyways! it seems that you have given it much thought! jw tho, u mentioned the boxer. why not the Cayman?

Quick Reply: S2000 or...