Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 or...

Old 08-06-2013, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 or...

its pretty simple but idk what I want to do... I have the option of either sticking with my '00 S for until I finish college and until I can find a decent paying job or getting a used 2011 mustang gt as a late grad present. I feel that the mustang would be a better daily since it has more room and easily more power, but I can't help to think of how much ill miss the S even tho it is a tad bit more practical? lol I'd just like to hear what y'all think and if anyone has done something similar and has any regrets! thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:36 PM

No. I sold my s2k in 2007 and had an e46 m3, b5 s4, ion redline, b5 a4, mkI rabbit gti, and 02 Wrx and nothing compared. If you need a DD get a peice of crap and store the s2k. It's not until you don't have your baby that you realize you made a mistake.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:43 AM

Who needs practicality when you're driving a car you love?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:17 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Save your money and keep the S2000.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've sold 2 s2000s and constantly think about my next one. But everyone is different, I would do my research on the MY 2011, I remember seeing some pretty harsh issues with the trans.

Honestly I would just consider SCing the S.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by keungsteven
I'd just like to hear what y'all think and if anyone has done something similar and has any regrets! thanks!
Quite a few have gone to other cars and regretted it:
http://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.r...+site:s2ki.com

...but each person is different. Have you done any test driving? Is your S really lacking in room and power? You ought to know best if you're having to make do without something that the Mustang offers. Polling others isn't the way to address your concerns. Review your priorities. Assign weights if you're still undecided. And definitely test drive more.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:23 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are way too many of us on this site that have come right back to the S2000. I was only gone for 3 months after purchasing a new STi. Within a month of not having the S2000, I started feeling sick not having one. Not even kidding, I think I was losing sleep some nights.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FISH22
There are way too many of us on this site that have come right back to the S2000. I was only gone for 3 months after purchasing a new STi. Within a month of not having the S2000, I started feeling sick not having one. Not even kidding, I think I was losing sleep some nights.
They all come back!

I sold my first s2k and after ~2 years I came back, I've only ever kept cars about a year or so before selling and I've now had my 06 for 3 years. I plan to keep it at least another 3, but I'm not sure I'll ever sell it. The only things I see that I'd want to replace it with cost a lot more money to buy, maintain, and modify (Cayman S, BMW 1M or M3) or don't exist (I admit I'd be tempted by an STI version of the BRZ).

I've daily driven this s2000 for 3 years and the one I had before that for 1 year. Outside of feeling bad I can't drive people to lunch at work and always have to have others drive and the very rare occasion I buy something that's too big to carry, it's done an amazing job. My coworkers generally don't really care that I can't drive to lunch and if I ever buy truly large items my dad lives ~30 minutes away and drives a pickup. I doubt there's much you can fit in a Mustang that you can't fit in the s2000 in all honesty.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:12 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

The age old question.
The mustang is a much larger car with useable back seats, so there's alot more you can fit into a stang than you can with an S. That said, that issue doesn't come up often, and if you're thinking like ski trips and that kind of thing, you're going to be in a similar position with either car.
I honestly say it comes down to your situation. As a budget second/weekend car, the S, imho, is the absolute best. Considering you could find them all day long for under 20K in good condition, and even cheaper if youre really stretching it, few cars offer the fun to dollar value. With that said, as an only car that value shifts. I'm sure alot will disagree, but I alot will also agree, DDing the car is 1) a waste and 2) just not fun. No torque in stop and go traffic gets old. It's loud, makes early morning commutes when all you want to do is just get to where you're trying to get to painful. You can't stretch out in it. Essentially, it wants to be in superman mode all the time, and clark kent mode is just miserable. I DDed my 2000 for a couple years in college and work. Throw in some stop and go on hills and well yeah.
So the allure to buy another car is reasonable, especially if you're the type that buys a car for what you do with it 99% of the time.
For me, what draws me back to the S is the price. I'd have to spend well over 10K for something else that I want, and I have a paid for DD so this car will maybe get a few thousand miles a year. So for me the S makes a compelling argument, which is starting to diminish since now I'm eyeing C5Zs again, and those folks arent regretting their switches even though they are still quite fond of the S.
But going back to what you were talking about, I'd forgo the 2011 and get a 2012+, never buy the first year of anything and the 2011 had a TSB/recall on the trans IIRC, the 2012s were fixed. I know a guy at the ford dealer, seems to be a non factor as several of them there own 2012+s.
Another thing that's kind of hard for me to let go of about the S is what no one is willing to admit. For a lot of us, the S was the first "nice nice" car you got, meaning you went from say a civic to the S. So a move, even to a great car, like the FRS, or mustang 5.0, etc, just feels like a bit of a downgrade as we've grown accustomed to owning a "special" car. Im finally old enough to see trends completley come on and go. I remember when integras were the car to have, and then died out. I'm sure itll come back strong as a cult car soon, but driving one just doesn't feel special as it did back in the 90s except to those fanbois. Whereas cars like the RX7 or supra remained cool and lustworthy, and the S fall into that category.
One thing I love in life is being somewhere unexpecting, then watching someone open their garage and tucked inside is like a celica all trac, or hemi cuda, the other day I met a guy with a typhoon. Instant convo starters, and I feel the S has alot of that.
That for me is one of the hardest things to let go of too.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:39 AM

maybe if it was a GT500 or boss edition. standard mustang is only good for its engine, everything around it is made of turd and its so common!

Quick Reply: S2000 or...