Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

rx8 vs s2000 handling

Old 08-08-2006, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been able to drive either yet. However, I did get to sit in both. I have to agree with kntrider about a next gen RX-7. Those are unbelievably awesome cars. I don't know what they were thinking with the RX-8 other than making a luxury car that's a little sporty.

Anyways sitting in the drivers seat of both was enough of a sell because my head was touching the roof of the RX-8, and the seat was all the way down! The interior didn't feel sporty at all. It felt over the top luxurious. I like Honda's sport lines because they have just enough creature comforts and then nothing more. All the controls feel like they're in the right spot so I can really connect to the car just from sitting in the seat. Like the S2k. As soon as I sat down, all that went through my mind was road trip! Sitting in the RX-8 however, made me say No thanks.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:25 PM

I wonder how long till a RX8Club member signs on only to defend the RX8 as being the holy grail of cars..

For some reason, I just got reminded of that thread on the Prius forum about racing.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I havent read the RX8 thread yet...but I will say that I have driven an RX8 before...though it was a long time ago and I don't remember it well. But, it is a good car. The power delivery is smooth, and handling is smooth, and IMO its a pretty nice looking car, especially with the Mazdaspeed kit...I think that is pretty sexy.

Anyway, the S2000 IS faster, that is a fact. And, they are two different types of cars, similar, but the 8 has more creature comforts and ability to seat 4. Those are nice things if you need it.

In then end, I'm happy I own an S2000...it is a drivers car.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:43 PM

Is it bad that I feel dumber after reading that thread?

Actually, other than 1 or 2 people (isnt that the way it always is?) the RX8 guys seem pretty reasonable over there. Probably the same way it'd be if that thread were over here ...
Old 08-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pantyraider,Aug 8 2006, 03:44 PM
There are so many moronic statements in that thread I don't know where to start.

To me the RX-8 is a hodge podge of everyting in one car. It's an attempt to put a luxury car, sedan, and sports car together. But, I think they failed. When I drove it , I didn't get the feeling it was a sports car, it wasn't luxury, and it was barely practical. The 2 rear seats are good for short trips but I wouldn't want to be stuck there on a long roadtrip.

The engine feels like an electric sewing machine, you're always waiting for the power to come on but it never does. On the handling side, it understeers horribly, and you never get the feeling you can chuck it around unless by chuck you mean plowing straight through a turn. To top it off it looks like an alien spaceship.

It's a totally underwhelming car. Mazda can do better, I want to see the real sequel to the RX-7.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that, by naming it RX-8 (instead of RX-7), Mazda was giving themselves an out.

They were very careful to say it is not the "next RX-7". If their plan failed, they can always go back on that previous statement.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:28 PM

the rx-8 was not the next rx-7 mazda bluntly stated that.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:40 PM

I'm wait for the real sequel to the RX-7 myself, one of the most beautiful and capable sports car ever made
Yes if it was isnt in the shop all the time
But that is a timeless design. Still looks great today
Old 08-08-2006, 08:03 PM

I'm a fan of the RX-8's looks. Liked the interior too. But I didn't bother to test drive one, simply because there's no convertible option.

-Bob
Old 08-08-2006, 08:17 PM

Turbodiesel needs to be learn the true purpose of euthanasia.

By the way, I like the fact that it burns oil, that's why I bought it. I like diesels too, the ultimate oil burner. It is such a f''n pleasure to get on it and give fanbois like you the smokescreen.

I love it.

Quick Reply: rx8 vs s2000 handling