Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Rx7 FD Experiences

Old 08-11-2013, 01:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. Just got done driving the S2k top down. I think I would miss that most of all. The quick steering go cart experience. Not to mention the amazing shifting.

One thing that is putting me off is the age of the FD. Our 3000GT is a 94 and is really starting to she her age and probably won't last much longer without a lot of work. I wish something would come along that would be an affordable proper S2000 replacement. C7 is on the short list but other than that not much out there. Just a testimant how truly amazing the S2K is.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow you have a 3000GT? Ok maybe a FD won't be as big as a headache

Age isn't a big of a concern rather than how well the car was taken care of. Like I said, the engine themselves are reliable as long as you keep it happy with proper cooling mods, and DEFINITELY making sure your intake temps stay low. Steer away from any intake set up that uses open filters, it's just sucking hot air off the radiator.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarS30Z

Age isn't a big of a concern rather than how well the car was taken care of. Like I said, the engine themselves are reliable as long as you keep it happy with proper cooling mods, and DEFINITELY making sure your intake temps stay low. Steer away from any intake set up that uses open filters, it's just sucking hot air off the radiator.
Ha, the FD may be an improvement in reliability compared to the 3000gt.

An increase in displacement will make it a very reliable sporty car. Not to get into that debate, just sayin'.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by metros
Originally Posted by LoneStarS30Z' timestamp='1376261697' post='22718703

Ha, the FD may be an improvement in reliability compared to the 3000gt.

An increase in displacement will make it a very reliable sporty car. Not to get into that debate, just sayin'.
Buy Metros' car. I wouldn't consider another rotary unless it had a big block in it, and his is well sorted out.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:11 AM

I sold my s2000 about a year and a half ago, and about 1 year ago, I bought an FD. Given the low annual mileage, I will say that the BIGGEST factor is the roof. If you must have a convertible top, a coupe will never cut it. However, if you're like me, the fixed roof is preferred (even though I had the roof down on my s2000 365 days out of the year).

ZDan is right about the steering - it is significantly slower than the ap1's, BUT I still managed good times auto-x'ing in the 7 regardless.

In regards to the shifter, IMHO the rx7 isn't as good as the s2000, BUT I have a friend who prefers the 7's over the Honda. I think he is in the minority, but it does show that they're both at least GOOD, and it can come down to preference.

All in all, the RX7 is such a unique car that if you have always wanted to own one, I say do it. Even if you end up hating it with a strong passion, you can sell it and at least you know. Personally, I'd like to keep mine forever, but I simply can't afford to right now with where I am in life.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by LoneStarS30Z
Bottom line though, if that particular FD isn't very well sorted out, keep the S2000. On the other hand, there's nothing like FD ownership, it's truly a unique vehicle.
What LoneStar said about well sorted (history) is very true. I love the FD, one of my favorite cars of all time. And I love rotaries too, they feel so different when accelerating. I was very close to buying a couple of FDs in the past, but could never find one with a well documented and sorted history. The combination of the age of the car along with quite a few things that do go wrong/bad in them make this history of utmost importance when deciding to purchase one. One everything is sorted out, if you keep up with the maintenance of everything (this is very important with FDs also), then you'll have a fun, reliable (in most senses) car.
Seeing as you know the history of the FD you're looking at, it may be a good purchase based on the "differences" of the 2 cars. I don't want to say "tradeoffs". We tend to hold the S2000 as the benchmark, but that's often times because that's our primary experience (or have had it a long time, or currently), but it doesn't mean what the FD offers is worse. I preferred some characteristics of the FD.
One last thing to think about though, I see you're in California and the swap that is now in the FD isn't legal (assuming it's a JDM 99 engine). Hopefully you have a means to keep tags going. I personally don't want the headache of that legality these days (it was a PITA for me when I was young, and I've grown to be an impatient old bastard).