Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

RX-8 vs. G35

Old 01-15-2004, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX-8 vs. G35

I don't actually own a S2000, I own a Miata, but I'm looking for an opinion from roadster drivers who won't be biased by brand loyalty, and you guys are the best choice since Honda/Acura doesn't make a car that fits my specifications. Basically, I need to trade my Miata in for at least a 4-seater, and I have to have MT, RWD, and Nav. After lots of test drives I have the choices narrowed down to the RX-8 and G35 Coupe. Love them both, but they have completely different characters. The 8 is silky smooth, whereas the G is a beast in a tuxedo.
Here's how I break it down:

Exterior: G. Just about perfect blend of conservative yet different and sporty yet elegant. My opinion of the 8's appearance changes every time I look at it. Sometimes I actually like it a little better, but sometimes I just don't.

Interior: 8. I strongly dislike the G's ugly silver spraypainted center console, it's the only misstep they made in the car's appearance. I also like the closer fit of the 8.

Backseats: Tie. 8 has more headroom, G has more legroom. Neither is a place I'll be spending much time, but I might lean towards the G so that I can put my seat back further.

Cargo: G. The trunks are about the same, but the G's becomes relatively cavernous when you fold the seats down. The 8's don't fold down and the passthrough is the width of an armrest. On the other hand, the suicide doors make throwing stuff in the back easier. I actually think they're better for that than getting people in an out.

Shifter: 8. Feels like my Miata on its best day. But the G's is fine.

Handling: 8. It's lighter and the chassis dynamics are more familiar. It communicates much better to me. I suspect the G can handle anything the 8 can, but I had a hard time trusting it. I can't compare how it feels to anything else. Maybe a sport-tuned Benz with a wider wheelbase (based solely on riding in a few MBs). It's slightly front-heavy.

Engine: G. Love the sound out of those pipes. Love the 8's sound too, but it's a completely different approach. Stomping the gas pedal on the G is much more fun. I think I'm up to date on all the aftermarket developments for both cars. Know about the Canzoomer ECU and the Crawford plenum. I don't think I'd ever turbo the G, it's not set up for it and I like its NA sound too much. I'd consider it on the 8. I was planning on it for the MX-5, which is well set up for it.

General Performance: G. Straight line it wins easily, and I think it can do whatever an 8 can do in the twisties, it just doesn't feel as natural. I really feel like it's too much car for the coastal backroads I take in my Miata though. Regardless, my main priority is having an equal chance against the 3-series. Anything after that is gravy.

Overall: All other things equal, despite the heft, I prefer the G for its looks and performance. The problem is that things aren't equal. Infiniti isn't selling MT Coupes for less than sticker, and I can't get the G35 configured the way I want for less than $37,300 before tax. Infiniti would force me get the moonroof, Bose, seat heaters, and all this other garbage I don't want (and yet no Xenons). Mazda is a completely different story. I'm expecting to be able to negotiate it to a few hundred dollars above invoice, and even if I can't I have the x-plan to fall back on. And they'll give me a little better trade-in on my Miata. And I've heard they're offering their low finance rates on RX-8s. And Nav is a separate option, so I'm thinking I would get it with the sport package at a price tag of $29,000 even. The only thing I'd miss that I want is leather, but that's another force-stupid-options-down-your-throat package that brings it to $31,500. Either way, it's a $6000 to $8000 difference plus trade-in and financing advantages. That gets me a used NA Miata, but I don't think I can get another parking spot in the city. Another issue is that I might have to wait on a G35 special order, which I've heard are backed up until April. That's probably not a concern with the RX-8.

So, what do you think, G35 or RX-8 plus $7000 or so? I'm agonizing over this. Any opinions welcome, just please don't tell me to buy a used 3-series. There's already too many of them among my circle of friends, and they must be stopped.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:33 AM

Damn that is a tough spot you're in. I too love the looks of both cars, but I'd have to say G35 Coupe. It is a fact that Nissan/Infiniti option system sucks. It would help if they took a lesson from Acura, and offer 1 or no options at all (besides color).However, if you cannot get the G35 the way you want at the price you want, then the RX-8 is a definate alternative.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you want the RX8 hmmm. Is the G35 worth the extra $$$? I don't know tough one, the RX8 definetly handles better see the C&D comparo.

But then there are some issues with the RX8 since I had one, I just list a few things that I know about it. I wrote this for another guy, so some of these things might apply to the G as well, like the tires for winter etc.

1) No spare tire, there is a kit available it's like $1000 takes up almost the entire trunk.

2) If driving the car in the winter, winter tires AND rims will be
required, expect to invest another $2000 for that.

3) Don't expect to get much in the trunk

4) Passenger seat has no back/leg support and is very uncomfortable after an hour or so, make sure you can live with this! Both my g/f and her father complained of stiff / sore back/legs after sitting for awhile, they've never had that problem before. Driver's seat is good though the GS (cloth) has no lumbar

5) Gas mileage is horrible, don't expect anything better than 13L/100Km, which translates to 300-400km a tank, 500km a tank on pure highway cruising. Not sure in mpg but it's low about 18mpg I think.

6) A/C blows the big one, so if he's used to a COLD A/C that could be an issue.

7) Be prepaired to be stopped by former RX-7 owners wanting a peak.

8) Rotary's drink oil so it requires oil every 5000Km/s or so. They also take longer to start and flood easy so you have to warm the car up everytime you move it, you CAN'T start it and move it them stop or it WILL flood the engine and you'll be getting it towed.

9) I've read a few complaints about it not heating up very well in -20 weather or below because the oil coilers are working to well. No heat after an hour of driving one guy said!

10) Blue and Red are the best colours

I don't want to sour it for the guy, I just like to be honest the car is AWESOME, but has a few minor irritating things that could REALLY kill it for some and turn their dream into a nightmare.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-16-2004, 05:51 AM

i didn't read all that, it's too much. G35 coupe would be my pick
Old 01-16-2004, 07:05 AM

Great post by the way (and, I DID read the whole thing). I'm not sure which I'd recommend between the 2. I think you did a great job discussing the pros and cons of each, so it probably comes down to personal preference (great advice, huh?) In the end, I suspect I'd go with the 8. I think the price advantage of the 8, along with its purer sport would seal the deal for me. But, I might suggest 2 alternatives. If you absolutely need a nav, you can disregard this. I would also look at the STI (for some reason I just don't like the EVO, even though it has better dynamics) and GTO. Both will offer more performance that the 8 and the G35. The GTO won't be too light on its feet, though. The bargain-priced V8 performance of the GTO really appeals to me (in spite of its bland styling). Good luck.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:21 AM

Yeah, great comparo man. Definently keep us posted on your decision. I personally really like the G35 coupes. Like you though I really didn't like the interior. I had an I35 before my S2000 and to me the deciding factor would be the service. I'd go with the Infiniti because I've heard horrible things about Mazda, and I had a great experience with Infiniti. Also, having my S2000 serviced at my Honda dealer hasn't been such a great experience, I'm thinking mainly because I have such a unique car to the Honda lineup that most techs just aren't that familiar with my car. I imagine you'd have a similar problem with the RX8 at the Mazda dealers whereas I'm sure all the Infiniti techs are used to seeing G35s come in. Good luck, I don't think you can make a bad decision with those 2 cars though!
Old 01-16-2004, 07:45 AM

I like the G35 better
Just my opinion, but looks are very important to me and i like the G35's looks better. Both are good on reliability value and performance. Afterall, they are japanese cars so either way you cant go wrong
Old 01-16-2004, 09:10 AM

I vote for the G35.

I drove the G35 Coupe and the RX-8 back to back, and I definitely liked the G35 better overall. The G35 accelerates faster and is roomier inside. Both have very nice shifters. The RX-8 feels lighter and the engine revs nicely, but it doesn't give any sort of rush or sudden boost, whereas the G35's torque can be felt immediately (and quite satisfactorily).
Old 01-16-2004, 09:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wing
Sounds like you want the RX8 hmmm.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two guys I work with bought G35's. Nothing but good things to say about them and their dealers. I can see why it wins awards. I don't know jack about the RX8's.

Quick Reply: RX-8 vs. G35