Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

RX-8 Test Drive Anyone?

Old 08-01-2003, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to me last year when I was looking to buy my S. I had been shopping around for the car I liked, and thought this was pretty much it. But I hadn't driven it yet, so I went out to check out the dealers. I wasn't even looking to test drive a new one. A used one would have been fine. Well, I went to one dealer in Denver (a rather well known dealer that also sells BMW's) and they had 2 used one's on the lot. I one was white and on the showroom, and the other had just gotten back from a test drive.

Well, anyways, when I told the salesman I was interested in the sebring S that had just returned from the test drive, he asked how interested. I said I think this is the car I want to buy, but I haven't driven it yet and that is the step I am at right now. He goes well I can't let you drive it unless you are seriously going to buy it.

First off, I was like it's a used F$%king CAR!! Not new. USED!!

Second, it had just got back from a test drive and the previous folks were just taking it for a joyride as they had just bought something else (a civic or accord ). They left immediately after getting out of the car.

So I tell the know, "you mean I can't drive it unless I am going to buy it" and he goes yeah. So I said "ain't no way in hell I'm gonna buy something without test driving it first. If you want to sell me this car then give me the keys or don't wast my time."

Then he immediately changed his mind as was like well, ok. Didn't put up much of a fight. The nerve of some of these people.

(Did I mention it was USED!!)
Old 08-01-2003, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DROVE IT and BOUGHT it!

I test drove the S2000, Infiniti G35 C, Mazda RX8 and looked at the 350Z.

Honda? handling was great BUT too small for me and $32K Ragtop? Nice but this purchase is for a commuter car.
Infiniti? Why is the back seat there? Can't use it (adults) bulky for a 2 seater.
Nissan Z? Excellent looks. Like! Runner-up would not let me drive it.
RX8? 6spd GT model great drive. Like car is on rails. Like a nominally quite sedan. Engine and exhaust sound fantastic. Drive similar to S. USABLE BACK SEAT BONUS. $31K

I since have also discovered that supposedly the Rotary has an ECU chip over riching the cars in break-in and will be remapped after the car reaches a certain mileage. Oh, and to comment on the guy saying it did not feel like the S2000 - soft, muted, etc. I have already learned that this car is a jeckyll-hyde. The thing is you can be crusing around at 50 in a 30mph zone and not even realize it. The longer wheelbase too makes the ride feel differently than the S or like a Miata - both with short wheelbases. Point is, the car will HAUL when you need to and cruise mutedly when you want to.

All are nice cars but in the end the most versatile won in my contest.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I was just poked arond the website and tried the payment estimator. I lease cars, and with a selling price of 31,455, and 1000 drive off, I'd have a 565 payment plus tax! Wow, thats a 36 month lease with 45,000 miles allowed! Damn, they must be running a whopping money factor, or else the car has a 50% residual after 36 months!

Just for fun, I went to Hondas site and did the same 36 month 45K mileage lease with 1000 drive off and what to you know? With a selling price of $33,560 I would have a $476 payment! Thats a selling price over 2000 more and a payment around $90 less! This difference is even more striking when you consider, this is on a 2003 S2000 towards the end of the model year in its 4th year vs. a brand new 2004!
Old 08-02-2003, 09:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys should have asked them "what point is there for a ing test drive when you've bought it??" or "isn't 'test' the operative word in 'test drive'"?
Old 08-03-2003, 06:55 AM

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by LuvRX8
I since have also discovered that supposedly the Rotary has an ECU chip over riching the cars in break-in and will be remapped after the car reaches a certain mileage.
To be fair here, the key word is supposedly at this moment; it's pure fantasy, as no one currently knows why an engine that is supposedly delivering 247 HP at the crank is only generating around 180 at the rear wheels. Time will tell but the ECU "break in mapping" theory is pure conjecture at this point...

That having been said, it is a quite nice car that compares quite favorably to the S2000, the S being the more raw, pure sports car. But obviously, if you want a smoother ride, the turbine smooth rev of a rotary or just plain back seats, the RX-8 is certainly worthy of consideration...