Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

RX-8 Test Drive Anyone?

Old 07-31-2003, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX-8 Test Drive Anyone?

I stopped by a local Mazda dealer today while out on some errands, hoping to test drive an RX-8. Of course I arrived in my S2000. As I walked up to the door, a sales guy (and I use that term loosely) approached. I asked if they had any RX-8s. Yes, they had one, on the showroom floor.

I had a chance to sit in a nice, fully equipped black model. Very nice, quite comfortable in the front and certainly a tolerable back seat. I asked about a test drive. Sure he said, after I agreed to a purchase price and they ran a credit check on me.

While I could easily have written a check for the car, that's not how I buy a car. In essense, the guy wanted me to sign a contract that I was going to buy the car before he'd let me test drive it.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Reminds me of the local Nissan dealer when the 350Z first came out.

Needless to say, I won't be buying anything from that guy.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically I just say "You do realize this car only costs xx,xxx dollars right?" - A lot of these dealers seem to think this is the way they can do business.

I couldn't drive a 350Z when they first came out either, but I just drove one yesterday. (I had actually driven one months ago, but it was a private car, and I didn't beat up on it, unlike how much I beat the shit out of this one at the dealer).

I would never buy a car without test driving it. And I would never let them do a credit check on me just to drive the car.

My only exception was that on the S2000, I did infact place a [refundable] $500 deposit on my car, then I could drive it.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:42 PM

I had the chance to test drive a used S2000 on a dealer's lot, and the dealer almost let me drive it without even running my license. It was a memorable experience =D I also had the chance to sit in a RX8 on a showroom floor, however, I didn't dare ask to test drive it. I still think the S2000 has better, defined lines than the RX8, and I don't think any test drive with the RX8 would sway my preference of rather owning an S2000.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:43 PM

have you seen this?

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...25&pagenumber=3
Old 07-31-2003, 02:36 PM

Anyone want to hear a GOOD dealership story for a change?

My wife has been interested in the RX-8 since she first saw it in my magazines, she's narrowing down what she'd like next. We went to our local Mazda dealer in the middle of June (when they said first they should get them) and they put us on a list to be called when the RX-8's hit the showroom. Well they called us the beginning of last week, they had the first of 2 RX's that they would be keeping for a while for demo cars for thier customers to check out and decide if they'd like to place an order.

We pulled up in my S, as opposed to many people's experiences the salesmen made no attempt to hide thier appreciation of my car asking if they could check it out. Our salesman (one I had never met before) showed us to the RX they had in, it was the 6-speed Sport Package (my wife wants the Gran-Touring package w/ the auto) He was fairly knowledgeable (for a salesman) and freely admitted he still had a lot to learn about this new model. We went for a lengthy test drive. When we returned there was no pressure, no gestapo tactics, he offered to give us a call when the 2nd car came in (one like my wife wants) and we could come back and drive that one, if we liked it we were welcome to be put on the list of orders. Very nice experience overall!

Driving Impression:

The RX-8 has a decent amount of power, but it doesn't "feel" like my S2k does. I see the car accelerating, I know it's doing it well but just isn't raw like my car. The handling is the same way, it communicates BEAUTIFULLY is pin-point accurate, doesn't sway or dive, it's damn near perfect. But again, it doesn't "feel" like my Honda, it's softer, a little more muted, a little more "comfortable". I wrung it out fairly well (as well as I could in traffic with 2 other people in the car) and I really can't say anything bad about it.

Did I LOVE it, not really. Was it something I'd enjoy driving, certainly. In all I really hope my wife decides she wants it, it's either that or a 3-series convertible. It's perfect for her tastes, she appreciates my car, but it's much more harsh than she likes. We need at least 1 car (and not the 40 year old one w/ no A/C) that has room for 4 people and is a little more comfortable and the RX fits all those bills quite well. Add to that her 2nd choice will cost me $10k more and I REALLY hope she wants it .

Just my little review, overall I was very happy both with our Mazda Dealer and the RX-8, I think it's a great alternative to the S if you are one of the (most) people that can manage to critize our S2K's for what they are instead of loving that about them.

Travis
Old 07-31-2003, 05:17 PM

I was pretty disappointed after my test drive. It didn't feel any faster than my RSX, and DEFINITELY didn't handle any better (I have H&R springs/Koni sports). Too wallowy and soft for me.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:38 PM

check out for more pix hehewww.tuneright.net
Old 07-31-2003, 05:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Moving to Car Talk.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:17 PM

From what I hear, they are really slow. But I doubt it.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:28 PM

It was made to be more muted than the previous models. They purposely did not add a turbo so that the driving experience was pleasurable for the masses. The engineers did not want to give it a jerky snap feeling. This car was built exactly as they designed it. I think the front profile looks great, but looks a bit odd from the side. Haven't driven one yet, but I am curious how the speed is compared to the S2k. Slap on a turbo and and it would probably blow us out of the water.

Quick Reply: RX-8 Test Drive Anyone?