Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

RX-7 vs 2000

Old 06-14-2002, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm. Interesting. You guys have some good arguments. The convertible factor is the biggest for me. I live in SoCal.

Anybody have a stock torque/hp graph? I'd love to see what the curve looks like on a stock car.

Also, what do you think about buying new vs used? I can pick up a used silver/black S2K for $25k with 18k miles. A new white/red (what I want) is $32k. Yike.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, like i said from my experience looking at a used rx-7....you never know what is gonna happen. granted the s2000 isn't the hazard the rx-7 is, but you never know what someone has done to the car. Unless you know them well....i wouldn't buy a sports car used....just my opinion.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:33 PM

This is a very tough decision. I'm sorry to say that if a 2002 RX-7 was available, I would have probably not even looked at the S2000 - for the simple reason that the FD is The Car That Got Away. I had a shot at a yellow 1993 R1 sitting on a dealer's lot, but at the time it was my first car, and I was very worried I would kill myself in it, so I settled for something less aggressive.

Anyways, RX-7 is quite possibly the most beautiful car to ever come out of Japan, but yes it does have reliability issues - issues that Mazda is more than aware of, and will not be repeating anytime soon.

That said, I am warming up to my S2000 in all areas. I absolutely love the looks now, the long sloping hood, the short angular top, it all looks so damn purposeful and mean. Also, it is a very fast track car, and can really move through the corners, possibly even better than the FD.

I'm rambling here, but I'd say go with an S2000. You won't be disappointed, and you won't be worrying about blowing it up if you drive it hard.

There will be an FE series RX-7 coming out in a couple of years. Probably with a single turbo RENESIS motor, that should be a real knockout performer, and much more reliable than the FD was. I would seriously consider buying this. Just FYI.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:14 PM

If I had the option I would go with the S2K - very nice car, fun to drive, sweet exhaust sound, and handles very similar to a RX7. The only problem with the FD is reliability as stated before - you can build a near bulletproof FD but you have to put the money into it, including the motor. I like winning races - and do much of that - but I drove a stock S2K and it was just as fun to drive with 200 less hp - it was tight - my car has the typical 9 year old rattles and creaks going around turns. A stock RX7 will pull a S2K after about 70 mph slowly but before that it would depend on the driver - top speed for the FD is over 160 mph. Looks wise I am biased with the FD - with 18 inch rims and a decent spoiler they are amazing looking - S2Ks are incredible looking also - if you are looking for a streetcar to dominate street races and highway runs - get a cheap RX7 and mod it (carefully with a good rotary mechanic and tuner) but if you want a very fast, great handling, reliable convertible - get the stook.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:55 PM

I have been a fan of RX-7 s for a long time and I really wanted a 93 TT but it just was not affordable for me at the time.
So I continued sporting modified 1st generation RX-7s because they are so indestructible.
I still bang out every gear past redline whenever I drive it.
I finally managed to keep my license points down and was able to lower my insurance costs and began to consider a new car. I have been waiting for the new RX-7 as nothing else available since 93 really interested me.(In the 30,000 price range) .
I read about the S2K and really dug the VTEC high revving motor , X-Frame , etc. but I at the time dealers were price gouging and I figured, why bother asking, I'll just browse while I wait for my seatbelts to be changed.?
So Lucky for me I went to the Honda dealer for a recall on my 86 ACCORD's seatbelt because I was approached by a salesman(Last February, 2001) who was kind enough to sell me the car for sticker price. Wink , Wink

This car is so tight compared to any RX-7 I have ever driven (1st , 2nd, or 3rd generation.)
"CONVERTIBLE" Is the SH*T !!! To have a convertible that is this light and this tight is a divine pleasure.
I LOVE THIS CAR! It makes me smile every time I drive it!
When Mustangs Drop off at 140 MPH while trying to chase me on the highway my smile gets even wider.

I would buy a 93 RX-7 if I had money to burn, but I don't.
The car is beautiful and when the turbos kick in it sounds SICK ! I just don't want to be dealing with down time dealing with turbo woes , etc. I have always been a fan of Honda reliability. When they finally graced this earth with a "Rear" wheel drive sports car I began to dream of owning one.
The last year has been nothing but FUN !
Old 06-15-2002, 10:53 PM

Yes I have both a 93 RX7 and 02 S2k. My RX7 IS A DAILY DRIVER!!!! I hate all this talk that they are not reliable, not that i'm saying they're the most reliable cars either. Most of my downtime problems have been normal wear and tear and driving incidences and my RX7 is modded up to about 300rwhp. I am selling my RX7 to buy a house but am very regretful. If the RX7 was available now, I would defintely get and RX7 and mod it up. Once those turbos spool off, bam your gone. handling is awesome also (my opinion better than the S2000). The S2000 is an awesome car also, don't get me wrong, it's just that I like the performance of the RX7 so much better that I'll deal with the reliability issues. Like I said before, the 2 are very different cars, your preferences should make your decision pretty clear cut.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:25 PM

Wow guys, thanks for the great responses. Just what I was looking for.

I have another question as well...how are the stock shocks? My RX-7 is an R1 model with GAB Racing shocks...it's tight as it gets (as I really hate body roll). Is there a recommended suspension upgrade for the S2000 that gives it rock hard stability without lowering it or messing with the ride quality too much?
Old 06-16-2002, 12:13 AM

I'd say the stock suspension gives you rock hard handling.
Its like riding on rails.
Old 06-16-2002, 08:31 AM

My friend has a stock low mileage 94 RX7. They can be moded for less $$$ to make more power and they'll be a lot faster. I've driven the car and it is not nearly as a sophisticated package as the S2000, when driven hard. Close but, you can tell the difference. After all there is almost a decade difference between the two designs. The S2000 is truely a 'Drivers car'. Ford will probably never let Mazda build a car that good again. It may hurt Mustang sells.

I would never trade or sell my S2000 for a 3rd generation RX7. The RX7 doesn't have the handling, shifting, the looks, and most of all that 9 grand sound ! The RX7 sounds like someone on the can taking a long .................................................. .. !
Old 06-16-2002, 09:19 AM

I have a 94 RX7. The best # 's I have seen for the RX7 is 0 to 60 4.9, 1/4 13.5. (www.supercars.net). The worst I have seen is 0 to 60 5.2 and 1/4 13.9. With that said I believe the only japanese car to come to america that can match the power of the RX7 is the supra TT. The only car that has similar handling is the S2000.

I drive my RX7 daily, it has 143K and a new engine. The turbo's engine will last about 120K if taken care of. Modding the car will NOT cause it to "blow up" if done correctly. Alot of guys would mod the car without getting a Power FC, they hit too much boost and run lean and bye bye apex seals. In the end it comes down to 1 thing in my opinion...Do you want the faster car or the convertible? You get a great compromise with a S2000. You get GREAT power, awesome handling, beautiful looks and a convertible.

With the RX7 you get Much better power, world class handling, probably the best looking japanese car ever. You can pickup a used RX7 for 13K to 15K, much less than a new S2000, but your maintenance will be higher. If you go with the RX7, just have money set aside for mods to make the car more reliable (down pipe, new hoses, alum radiator ,etc).

Anyway you cant go wrong with either, just flip a coin.

Quick Reply: RX-7 vs 2000