Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Rode in my friend's 2004 Rx-8

Old 12-20-2004, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigProbe,Dec 19 2004, 05:15 PM
It's funny to read about s2000 owners complaining ANOTHER car lacks torque...lol
Its true, the RX8 does lack torque...its even worse than the S2000. And if you're directing that statement to the original poster, he hasn't even ridden in an S2000, let alone owned one.

It's more hillarious to see people suggesting an RSX is better than an RX8.
This I totally agree with. The RX8 accelerates quicker, handles better...and does just about everything else better than the RSX, both great cars though.

[QUOTE]And if you wish to magazine-race; look at the numbers- RX8s are only behind S2000s (at the drag strip) by a couple tenths.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by WayneTeK,Dec 18 2004, 02:43 AM
I rode in my friend's rx-8 last night and all i can say is I am impressed. i underestimated that car and it's amazing engine. I mean, sheesh, it was FAAAASSSST. Thought it seriously lacks some torque, in the upper band, it is amazing.... Fast.. He was driving his car in Yorba Linda area in local doing 100mph.

I'm not supporting his decision in driving 100mph local btw. I think it's dangerous and stupid, but i have to say that car can seriously take off. All it had was intake & exhaust..

He even feather launched his car from 7k rpm, but I'm not impressed. The car lacked hella torque to get moving....

anyways, just wanted to say that the Rx-8 is an amazing car that I underestimated. I still wouldn't get one though cause it isn't an S2000.
I had one for a couple of days and thought it was a nice package if you need a couple more seats. That thing was anything but fast, I have never been in a car that need a turbo more then that one. I does rev to 9K, but it feels like it should rev to 14K to make power.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by MadScientist,Dec 20 2004, 12:08 PM
No its not the fastest of the lot....

But how much slower??... really now..... ok... they do better at a track (except for the G35)... but really, WHO CARES?? who cares if you can run 14s.... I'm sure you didnt buy it to say you ran 14 s at a track did you? none of the other competitors are really "knocking the socks" off an 8.
The people that dont buy sports cars for speed and handle are the kind of people I would be inclined to think are the ones looking for a status symbol.

I have not driven the RX8 so I will say but a few things.

For a performance car from Mazda, it needs more power especially when you compare it to the car it is supposedly a successor to (FD). Nothing about the car really makes it stand out aside from the more functional back seat. It would be nice for Mazda to put a little more into the RX8.

Anyways, I am sure its a nice fit for some or for those people great. To the original poster, I am just curious what you have as a reference to be walking away from this car so impressed.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the 8 was my second choice behind the S...the convertible won.

the only real gripe i have is the material for the cloth seats seemed overly thin and cheap.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:12 PM

[QUOTE=b00stn,Dec 21 2004, 09:59 AM] The people that dont buy sports cars for speed and handle are the kind of people I would be inclined to think are the ones looking for a status symbol.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by NeO SAMuRAI,Dec 21 2004, 12:22 AM
I personally can't see how an S2K owner or lover wouldn't like the RX8, it doesn't make sense to me, as I believe they're both borne from the same philosophy - lightweight, high revving, throwable sportscars...with the RX8 taking a harder stance at the practicality issue.
It sure is nice to see some sense in one of the posts. I've been on this board for eight months, and I am always amazed at the mindless bashing of any other car which goes on here all the time, mostly, of course, by people who have no idea what they're talking about. Rather than celebrating the wonderful mix of somewhat affordable cars now available to the enthusiast, so many people mindlessly bash any car but their own, of course generally using their own narrow criteria as justification for why all the other cars suck. The same idiocy goes on in the other boards.

For some reason, the RX-8 seems to come in for particular bashing by the bigots on this list. For instance, I also love the S2000 owners who bash it for being underpowerd, when the power and torque numbers are almost identical to the S2000, on a car which weighs only 200 lbs more. Looks are a completely subjective thing, and no reason to bash someone else's choice. Gas mileage always comes up, but somehow nobody ever mentions that the RX-8 is much, much less expensive to insure than the S2000 (probably because their are fewer mindless street-racers in the RX-8 than the S2000).

Finally, I have to chuclkle as Car & Driver includes the RX-8 on their "Ten Best" list for the second straight year (where was the S2000 this year?); it takes a special kind of ignorant arrogance to bash a car which the motoring press really appreciates for what it is.

My youngest child and I recently went to see my middle child play in a HS basketball game, driving my beloved S2000. When the game was over, the basketball player asked to come home with us, rather than on the bus. Had we been driving my wife's RX-8, it would have been no problem. That's not to say that the RX-8 is better than the S2000; it is, however, a very fine car, by any rational criteria, with a very high utility, and it is better, if you need to carry two children with you!
Old 12-22-2004, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by 124Spider,Dec 22 2004, 01:05 PM
Had we been driving my wife's RX-8, it would have been no problem. That's not to say that the RX-8 is better than the S2000; it is, however, a very fine car, by any rational criteria, with a very high utility, and it is better, if you need to carry two children with you!
You have an 8 AND a Stook???

Life is good eh?... go on .. say it
Old 12-22-2004, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by MadScientist,Dec 22 2004, 01:29 PM
You have an 8 AND a Stook???

Life is good eh?... go on .. say it
Well, there was a bit of poetic license there. We don't pick up the RX-8 until Friday.

Yeah, life is very, very good, and what a great time to be an auto enthusiast! As much as I love my S2000 (and that's a lot), the RX-8 likely will be the car Mrs. Spider and I take for a trip, sans kids, if it's not top-down weather. Nice choice to have, eh?
Old 12-23-2004, 05:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm really surprised to hear so many S owners bashing the RX-8.

I love my S2000, but I know a good thing when I drive it. The RX-8 is a great car. I have never driven a car that feels more similar to an S2000 than the RX-8. It really is like a 4-door, fixed-roof S. It's certainly not as fast, but it is still respectable. The power curve feels very similar. The shifter is perfect, and feels a lot like ours. The brakes are suberb. My brake pedal in the S felt mushy after driving the RX. Impressive.

Mazda did a good job with this car. At the end of the day, I still prefer the S for various reasons. That's no criticism of the RX, though. I have a lot of respect for that car. I sure wouldn't mind owning one of each.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by MadScientist,Dec 20 2004, 04:08 AM
No its not the fastest of the lot....

But how much slower??... really now..... ok... they do better at a track (except for the G35)... but really, WHO CARES?? who cares if you can run 14s.... I'm sure you didnt buy it to say you ran 14 s at a track did you? none of the other competitors are really "knocking the socks" off an 8.

I've test driven most of those cars and yeah while some are a bit faster I didn't walk away saying "Wow... what a difference... OMFG" LOL
Race a normal street car from 50 in an RX8 and you will understand slow (aka no torque). It might pull a mid 14 second quarter off the line but at any other speed, I bet my MDX could keep up with it.

Quick Reply: Rode in my friend's 2004 Rx-8