Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Robin Rectums and Red Roadsters

Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Robin Rectums and Red Roadsters

OK, maybe not a robin; possibly a turkey vulture.

My wife mentions this too as her car is also red... do birds target red cars?

It seems like every day I get zapped and the car is only outside at work, looking at other nearby cars I don't see the "splashes". Wow, yesterday I walk to the car and there was a whole series in a row, like a stick of bombs dropped from a B-26... right up the hood and the last two on the windshield and the final one at eye level and I had to drive home leaning to the left so I could see, the washers/wipers had no effect on it (yeah, cleaned up the car when I got home).

Why red cars and does anyone else experience this? Any ornithologists here that might point out there they see more into he red part of the spectrum?
Old 07-10-2013, 07:48 AM

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Feel your pain. I have observed this same phenomenon, but my conclusion is its any shiney cars they target, not so much the color.

Brighter colors they will hit more, but its the shine they seem attracted to.

Just now thinking about why this would be, perhaps their instinct is to poop over water. Maybe this is to prevent predator from knowing their routes. Maybe they see shiney, and that is enough for their instinct to think good place to poop.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe they're attracted to the bright colors?

But not sure, my wife's suburban is red and it doesn't get as much bird crap as my Cayenne, which is blue.

My white S2000 also get a lot of bird crap too... I think they just crap on whatever they want.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are male birds bright colours, are female birds less bright colours.. are males dominate.. do they mark their territory.. do you own a red car... or yellow it seems.. or all black oddly... you need a Silverstone so it blends in with nature... there.. that help..
Old 07-10-2013, 09:15 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryuu
are male birds bright colours, are female birds less bright colours.. are males dominate.. do they mark their territory.. do you own a red car... or yellow it seems.. or all black oddly... you need a Silverstone so it blends in with nature... there.. that help..
Maybe this should be in the FAQ for the "what color S2000 should I get?" questions.

Perhaps a beige or brown S2000 would be even better.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just figure guys buy dull colors cause it a female car, and girls buy bright colour ones cause they want a male one.. I didn't know it was gonna get all scientific...
Old 07-10-2013, 09:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mchi5
Maybe they're attracted to the bright colors?

But not sure, my wife's suburban is red and it doesn't get as much bird crap as my Cayenne, which is blue.

My white S2000 also get a lot of bird crap too... I think they just crap on whatever they want.
Bingo. I'm with the other people on here who say that birds tend to pinch loaves on shiny objects, but when you gotta go, you gotta go. Hence, your car being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Just be happy it ain't Dave Chappelle landing on your car
Old 07-11-2013, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tiger1964
My wife mentions this too as her car is also red... do birds target red cars?
Birds just poop when they poop. You're just cherry picking data, selectively remembering or assuming a trend based on nonsignificant sample data. Both my Rio S2000 and our silver crossovers get bird poop all the time as well as vehicles of all other colors.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read on a number of forums how bad bird poop is for the finish. Some folks carry some spray and rags in the trunk for immediate treatment. I once read that the "best" way to remove it is to lick it off as your saliva and tongue won't further damage the finish. I CAN'T vouch for that technique.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a red rx7, it was consistently shit on by birds, was realllly annoying.

Quick Reply: Robin Rectums and Red Roadsters