Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Road and Track on Mustangs

Old 03-14-2005, 05:49 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jiggagnome,Mar 14 2005, 04:09 PM
HOly crap..... I think we should have a weekly ford vs honda topic to get the board all Worked up , anyways, bill here is a link on stangnet that discusses some problems....... and anyone that thinks the new mustang doesnt have problems is WRONG, it does and should be expected from a brand new platform http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=549909,
Someone mentioned the new stang not responding to mods well here is one of MANY links showing how well the new stang responds to mods http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=551875

this statement belongs on civic SI or some other board, WHO CARES! does it help you sleep at night? I love my s2k not because it has 240 hp with 2 liters but because it is fun as hell to drive and handles like a dream, if this can be accomplished with a 400000 liter engine that makes 240 hp then I would still love it, this figure is simply a number insecure honda owners throw out to defend accusations made by insecure Ford owners... LIKE my mustang makes 280 hp I will smoke your sorry 4 banger, when in reality this is not likely the case. No need to rebuttle this ignorant statement just let him think it until he gets beat by a "4 banger" and has to rethink his ignorant thinking.
my 2 cents
Thanks for the links. Interesting discussion about the engine managment and drive by wire. Two guys on that board seem to think the big gain comes from revising the engine managment and drive by wire to get full throttle.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lukemc01,Mar 14 2005, 03:48 PM
Tyring to make heavier large displacement engines run at 9K would be very foolhardy.
Hmmm, Nascar ring a bell?
Old 03-15-2005, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by brockLT1,Mar 15 2005, 12:41 AM
Hmmm, Nascar ring a bell?
And we all know that those are street legal cars that can easily run for 150,000 miles without blowing up.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:32 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I almost brought one as a daily driver, getting the TSX instead.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by sleekblackroadster,Mar 14 2005, 05:19 PM
ford needs to learn how to run electrical wires... seriously
so do a handful of European automakers. Some of them luxury car makers.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Mar 14 2005, 04:50 PM
The fact is there are many ways to anger a rice boi and making a large engine with lots of Hp seems to be the best one.
I love all the assumption that takes place in these foreign vs. domestic bashing threads.

First and foremost I am no "riceboi", whatever the phuck that is, and prior to owning the S2000 I had an 02 Z28 with an LS1. I kept it for a whole 6,000 miles and sold it as quickly as I could. I don't think we need to discuss build quality and f-bodies together and I don't understand the fascination some have with large engines and torque. They need a large body to support their weight which typically results in poorer handling, braking(with the exception of the most recent Viper), road feel, etc.

Like I said, assumptions abounding here as to why I even mentioned 240 and 2.0L. Everyone was so quick to jump in and assume I was coming with the played out horsepower per liter argument but as you can very well observe for yourself there was never a mention of that. I'm simply stating the obvious here. Honda has a company vision that doesn't involve mass production of bulky 4.6L, 5.7L, 6.0L, and 7.0L motors. They strive for efficiency in performance, emissions, build quality, etc.

My whole point had nothing to do with hp/l but rather why no other manufacturer can apparently innovate and produce the level of quality blended with efficiency and performance that Honda can.

I still don't understand what is so impressive about the Mustang's numbers. F-bodies were doing that years ago.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:54 AM

Speaking from personal experience.... I had an '86 GT when I was a teenager. At 100K the car fell apart, blown tranny, fuel pump, all the door handles started breaking, etc. Hopefully Fords quality has increased since the 80's. However, even if quality has increased, I will never buy a Ford based on my experience with that POS.

On the flipside I've had 3 Hondas and never had a problem with ANY of them....
Old 03-15-2005, 12:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They need a large body to support their weight which typically results in poorer handling, braking(with the exception of the most recent Viper), road feel, etc.
This is why the Z06 weighs < 300 pounds more than the S2000? Weight means poorer road feel? Why then in a subjective test would most people say the E36M3 has better road feel -- or the Porsche 911. Why do they stop better than the S2000? Why does the "low weight" civic Si have worse stopping distances than nearly every single SUV and minivan on the market? They weigh more after all ...

Honda has a company vision that doesn't involve mass production of bulky 4.6L, 5.7L, 6.0L, and 7.0L motors. They strive for efficiency in performance, emissions, build quality, etc.
You are making some assumptions there. You have no idea nor does anyone else here why the Honda company does what it does -- beyond creating cars to sell for a profit.

no other manufacturer can apparently innovate and produce the level of quality blended with efficiency and performance that Honda can.
I don't understand that. Toyota has higher quality across the board and leads the way in hybrids, both from a technology standpoint and a sales standpoint. Ford produces a mustang which is cheaper than the S2000 yet outperforms it in most measures of performance *and* it is more practical with more space to boot.

bulky 4.6L, 5.7L, 6.0L, and 7.0L motors.
Bulky? The OHV small block chevy is one of the most compact motors out there with one of the best torque curves as well. It is capable of producing high 12's in the 1/4 and upper 20's on the highway in cruise mode. Name a Honda motor that does that. You won't, there are none.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Mar 15 2005, 03:02 PM
This is why the Z06 weighs < 300 pounds more than the S2000? Weight means poorer road feel? Why then in a subjective test would most people say the E36M3 has better road feel -- or the Porsche 911. Why do they stop better than the S2000? Why does the "low weight" civic Si have worse stopping distances than nearly every single SUV and minivan on the market? They weigh more after all ...
The Z06 is clearly an exception and I agree with you steve but it is a one of a kind so to speak. There aren't many or any other street legal options out there that give you the total package that the Z06 does.

As far as the subjective test is concerned I won't agree or disagree with you. I'm not sure "most" people would say the E36M3 or 911 has better road feel but I'll take your word on it. You know I'm not particularly fond of german cars so I'll admit I have no experience with the E36M3 and very little with the 911. The only seat time I've had was in a 996 Carrera 4 and it's hard to pinpoint what I liked and disliked with the mere 30 minutes I got to spend with it. I would hope though that it does have improved road feel over the S2000 at 2-3x the price depending on which model you go with.

You are making some assumptions there. You have no idea nor does anyone else here why the Honda company does what it does -- beyond creating cars to sell for a profit.
Yes I am making a few assumptions. All corporations produce goods and/or services in order to generate a profit; however, Honda has shown time and time again throughout the decades to be far more "green" than the majority of other manufacturers.

I don't understand that. Toyota has higher quality across the board and leads the way in hybrids, both from a technology standpoint and a sales standpoint. Ford produces a mustang which is cheaper than the S2000 yet outperforms it in most measures of performance *and* it is more practical with more space to boot.
I'm curious what your basis is regarding the "technology standpoint" comment? I'm not keeping up with the hybrids too well these days but has Toyota produced something to trump the Accord Hybrid engine?

Bulky? The OHV small block chevy is one of the most compact motors out there with one of the best torque curves as well. It is capable of producing high 12's in the 1/4 and upper 20's on the highway in cruise mode. Name a Honda motor that does that. You won't, there are none.
You definitely got me there. The Chevy small block is indeed a marvel but they've had decades to perfect it.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:10 PM
ttb

that's just stupid steve c. all things equal a lighter car will stop in less distance.

Quick Reply: Road and Track on Mustangs