Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Road Rage

Old 06-29-2010, 05:59 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by curiouz_G,Jun 29 2010, 04:32 AM
If he was in full body armor, you just choke him. His movements are restricted. Even a simple tackle and choke with your bare hands would do if he attempted anything. I'm not proud of it but I know it works.

About my story above, I do realize it worked out as best as possible and someone was watching over my stupid butt. I go back to that situation now when I get mad at another driver going slow or doing something stupid and realize, the extra minute just isn't worth jail, killing someone, being killed, vehicle damage, etc.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:31 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Corey, you're certifiable. That was a crazy story.

I say it every time this type of thread comes up but if I had a dollar for every time I said to my wife "Watch that car", I'd be a millionaire. I'm getting to the point where I'm practically prescient in pointing out who's going to do what.

Anyways, I don't get angry too often, unless someone is doing something truly stupid, intentionally. Like the guy in an old S10 doing 90 mph in traffic with nowhere to go so he rides a bumper until he has passing room (barely), then goes and does it to the next person, etc, etc... Ignorance is something I can let slide, though I do use the horn to let people know that they're doing something stupid (a honk if they're veering out of their lane, a double honk if they're pulling out in front of me, etc, etc).

The thing is, if you never let them know they did something stupid, they won't learn until someone hits them. I have no problem scaring the tar out of them in order to help them learn a lesson. I've also learned that you can call 911 and report people being truly dumb (speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, aggressive driving, etc, etc) and enjoy the light show as they're pulled over five miles later.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:12 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

The fundamental difference between a mature driver and immature driver is that one drives to be not at fault, the other drives to not get into an accident period.
Your example with the jeep liberty is a prime example, alot of people especially around here would speed up and not let that person in because heaven forbid someone get infront of them. Now that jeep would've hit you, are you at fault? Nope, it is your lane, you were within the limit, she was on a cell phone driving stupidly. But guess what, you're in an accident, now you gotta file a claim and get your car repaired. In the end, you're not at fault, but you lost all this time, effort, and potentially money in some shape or form.
Or if you're driving through a parking lot, and you see an SUV with its reverse lights on, are you going to wait for a parking spot in its blind spot? I mean yeah, you're not at fault, but people just don't take that extra millisecond to look for these things. Hell, when I'm drving through a neighborhood street and I see the next intersection the cross traffic both have stop signs and I don't, I still approach somewhat cautiously cuz christ knows some dumb****s don't know how to stop at a stop sign.
Don't get me wrong, with someone intentionally cuts me off, I do pull to the side, speed up, and flip them off, but if I see that they're apologetic, my bird turns into a wave of forgiveness.
Lastly, he without sin cast the first stone, we've all made dumb mistakes, last thing you need is for that someone to play a cat and mouse game your entire commute back.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Jun 29 2010, 09:12 AM
... but if I see that they're apologetic, my bird turns into a wave of forgiveness.
It's pretty amazing how much an admission of a mistake can diffuse an angry situation, isn't it?

I just wish more people were humble about their driving gaffes instead of totally oblivious, or worse: aggressive to you for their own mistake.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 AM

I get road rage all the time. But my usual action is just to cuss them out to myself and let it go. I am constantly watching my surroundings because I know someone is going to do something stupid. I'm not willing to get into an accident just to be right. Most times when heading home from work (interstate), I set the cruise about 5 over and just let them all race past me. It's way too easy to get your driver's license around here and it shows.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:47 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jun 28 2010, 03:37 PM
The thing I need to work through is that I would have wanted to "punish the idiot driver" by blasting the horn and riding up alongside of her to force her to her lane and flipping her off. I need need to work on my anger management.
Sam here. I know it's stupid but I can't help it.

I feel like if I don't do something to this person that they will never learn and they may even kill someone with their stupidity.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts

I usually just cuss really loud, usually something about how they are stupid and I hope they don't have or create any offspring and spread their stupid seed. Then I might make a hand gesture, not an offensive one just a "throw my hands up in amazement" gesture, and followed by a captain kirk facepalm depending on if I am stopped or not.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A wise man once told me people only drive as well as there intellegence allows. Considering how stupid many people are it's perfectly smart to do what the OP said.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:51 PM

[QUOTE=QUIKAG,Jun 28 2010, 07:25 PM] To give an example of the depth of my problem, I was exiting a highway here in DFW in my Yukon and a Corolla hit the brakes down to 45mph in an off-ramp to a 3 lane access road that didn't have any turn-off for a good half-mile.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

I think the angriest I get is when someone STOPS on a merge ramp. Not only is it stupid, it's extremely unsafe due to the high probability of being rear-ended by following traffic or being run over by the traffic into which you're trying to merge because you can't get up to speed fast enough from a stop.

Quick Reply: Road Rage