Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Road Rage

Old 06-28-2010, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=QUIKAG,Jun 28 2010, 05:25 PM] To give an example of the depth of my problem, I was exiting a highway here in DFW in my Yukon and a Corolla hit the brakes down to 45mph in an off-ramp to a 3 lane access road that didn't have any turn-off for a good half-mile.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:54 PM

That was the stupidest story I've read in awhile.

At the end of the day, what's important is that you get home to sleep in your own bed at night.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jun 28 2010, 04:25 PM
To give an example of the depth of my problem, I was exiting a highway here in DFW in my Yukon and a Corolla hit the brakes down to 45mph in an off-ramp to a 3 lane access road that didn't have any turn-off for a good half-mile. So, as soon as I had a break to the right, I gun it around a new Tundra and the Corolla.

Well, apparently the Tundra driver wanted to get around the Corolla too and was pissed I boxed him for a few seconds as I shot past him and the Corolla. So, I'm cruising down the 3 lane access road at 70-75mph and he comes flying up beside me at 95mph and swerves in front of me and brake checks me big time. I go apeshi* and gun it past him and brake check him so bad he has to swerve out of his lane. He guns it and I gun it too. I get up to 85-90mph and he's RIGHT behind me. He's so close he actually BUMPS me at 95mph! I swear I felt at least a bump or two and I freak out.

So, what do I do at 90mph with a Tundra bumping me in the far right lane of a 3 lane access road? I slam on my brakes as hard as I can and he's glued to my bumper and we both slow to a stop, him stuck to the back of my bumper. I have no idea of the extent of the damage. He jumps out of his car (a white dude early-mid 30's with a Titleist hat on) and I'm rolling my window down after already having put the car in park, grabbed my Glock out of my glovebox, and chambered a round. I keep the gun down in my lap in case I need it. He comes up cussing me out and I'm cussing him back. He tells me to get the f* out of here and I tell him the same. I pull up about a 1/4 mile to a turn-in expecting him to turn in behind me so we can exchange information, but he drives past.

I pull back out and catch up to him and he pulls into a parking lot (coincidentally where I was meeting my wife for dinner) and we both get out. At this point, we've both calmed down and we ask each other what the hell we were both thinking? I tell him I felt him bump me and freaked out and nailed my brakes. I didn't know if he was trying to pit me at 90 mph. We shake our heads and survey the damage.

My Yukon had very minor damage to my bumper. I was amazed. I guess there is a big metal bar that is integrated into the receiver hitch that is right behind the plastic bumper. I had maybe $200-300 of damage with the biggest being a broken back-up parking sensor that had popped out from the bumper. We walk over to his Tundra and the whole front bumper was jacked up and the grille was pushed in at a bad angle. He probably had a few grand of damage at least.

We agree to shake hands and cover our own damages and part friends. It was nuts. He was meeting his wife at the same restaurant as me, but not eating dinner. He was just grabbing the kids from his wife, so his wife could have a girl's night out. I told my wife the story in the restaurant over dinner and she was not amused. This happened about 3 weeks ago.
Whoa. I thought I was bad.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=QUIKAG,Jun 28 2010, 04:25 PM] To give an example of the depth of my problem, I was exiting a highway here in DFW in my Yukon and a Corolla hit the brakes down to 45mph in an off-ramp to a 3 lane access road that didn't have any turn-off for a good half-mile.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:50 PM

In the words of Judge Judy, "Life is short; we should avoid confrontations as much as we can!"...
Old 06-28-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by 99 LAN EVO5 RS,Jun 28 2010, 08:50 PM
In the words of Judge Judy, "Life is short; we should avoid confrontations as much as we can!"...
I used to think I was just getting numb to the whole thing, when in reality I was developing this whole sixth sense of being able to predict idiotic traffic maneuvers. When you see it coming, its a whole lot easier to bear. No surprises.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have more of the OP's perspective since I ride a motorcycle a fair % of the time. People are always trying to kill me. Well, usually unintentionally but if I got mad every time I'd be dead or in jail by now.

I notice that letting offenders know they did something wrong rarely works out well. They tend to be so clueless they think I'm in the wrong for getting in their face. The rest of them are already waving an apology so no gain if I get all puffy.

Still, I understand the emotion involved since I often have to talk myself down. Someone is always having a worse day than you are.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:14 PM

Haha,

Just the other week I was sitting at the light, waiting for it to turn green so I can make my protected left turn. Light turns green, no cross traffic so I'm off on my way. The SUV across the intersection from me starts off at a sort of leisurely pace. I just figure he's making a right hand turn so I keep going, but stop accelerating so he'll have plenty of time to run the light without interfering with me. Nope. He keeps going straight. I stop, he stops. He sticks his ugly red neck head out the window and starts hollering. I just give him the wtf you doing shrug. Seeing as I'm now sitting in the middle of the intersection I decide to go on my merry way. As soon as I'm clear, he starts up again only to slam on the brakes again as the 15 cars behind me make the turn. I wonder how many of them went by before he figured it out.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:20 PM

My elderly parents were following my wife and kids and I back from the Outer Banks. I made a lane change and looke in my rear view to see my father doing the same. Unfortunately, there was a guy on a sport bike looking to get in the same lane. This was a busy business district type area with probably 4 or 5 lanes. I saw the sport bike riding very closely to my Dads car then he accelerated and got between us at the stop light. I kept my eye on thhe rear view and thought, "please dont put your kick stand down, please dont put your kick stand down....." Well, sure enough the kick stand came dowm and he proceeded to go back to my Dads car and scream f-bombs and smack the hood with the palm of his hand. I got out of my car and very casually walked back to his bike. I said, "Sir, thhatt is my Father and we are very sorry. We are from out of town and just want to go on our way." He says, "This aint your business, get bback ikn your car!" I replied, "Sir, thats my Dad, so it is my business. We are sorry, if you feel you got cut off. Its cool. Just get back on your bike, man." He started walking back toward his bike. I walked back to my car. The light turned green and he blew past us. Crisis averted. Later my Dad said if the guy would have started shit with me, he would have proceeded to put his Buick Rendesvous into drive and run over the tools bike. Funny. My wife said it was a good thing he went on his way, because she pointed out that he was in full body armor with a helmet. He could have just kicked m ass and never felt any of my attempts to hit him back. Couldnt let him hurt my parents, though. Would have been worth it.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he was in full body armor, you just choke him. His movements are restricted. Even a simple tackle and choke with your bare hands would do if he attempted anything. I'm not proud of it but I know it works.

Quick Reply: Road Rage