Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

RL

Old 09-21-2004, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RL

New RL looks tight. real BMW fighter. 50k price tag though!

aluminum hood, fenders and trunk lid! AWD! 300 hp!
Old 09-21-2004, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Things you've mentioned aren't all that special. In additional it has DVD-A, Bluetooth, voice recognition, keyless startup, etc. But the real blings and firsts are:

- Incorporated into that navigation system are real-time traffic updates powered by XM radio. The feature is called XM Nav Traffic and it "talks" to the navigation system and warns the driver of such conditions as slow traffic flow, road construction and accidents. While this feature is not available in all cities, it is offered in major metropolitan areas like Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Washington D.C.

- The display screen for the nav system is also used for the audio system, climate control and message center. The car receives messages with regard to recalls and scheduled maintenance, quick tips on vehicle operation and messages from the dealership.

- GPS-linked, solar-sensing climate control system. How does a climate control system use GPS information, you may be asking. It's like this: ever notice how one side of the car gets hotter depending on where the sun is? Well, the Acura system uses GPS information from the navigation system and a solar sensor inside the car to determine where the sun is and adjusts air flow and temperature accordingly. Acura literature refers to this as "asymmetrical solar heating."
Old 09-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 310 Likes on 149 Posts

Actually the 300 hp is the highest total output, and highest specific output, of any V6 in the world...
- NSX is still rated (conservatively, some say) at 290 hp while
- M3 is 333 hp but from an inline-6
- Carreras have 320+ hp but from flat-sixes
Old 09-21-2004, 09:39 PM

I like the BOSE noise cancelling stereo.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new RL is a nice attempt by Honda to escape the inferior (compared to the competition) front-wheel-drive design of previous versions.

Unfortunately, few of the folks who come to this forum are likely to be candidates for that class of car.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:37 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I like it a lot. In a year I'm going to be buying a upscale 4 door. AWD is a big feature for me.

The G35x is the bargain basement car in this class. 260-hp but same TQ so it's right there with the RL because it weighs 200-300 lbs less. But I think over all the extra special look/feel is not there. With luxury package and nav the G35 awd costs $37K so it's $10K less than the RL. Not a small sum.

The new A6 -->>CLICK is the real mono-e-mono benchmark car. IMO

It's pricing is out and it looks like the RL will split the V6 and V8 model right down the middle. V6 = $41K V8 = $51K. I estimate the RL at $47K.

Power will also split the Audis 255(V6) 300(RL) 335(V8).

The Audi has a 6-speed AT.

The Audi is more of a full line up of cars. What I mean is if you want to spend more or less you can. This may get more play, plus the A6 is a more established car than the RL. And I think the A6 may end up weighing less than the RL by 100-200 lbs. Also Audi may offer a sports package. The RL so far is one size fits all.

Lexus will soon be offering an ES AWD and GS AWD (I think).

BTW so you guys don't think I'm going soft, this is going to be my wifes car.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the RL's AWD system is awesome. It can split 0-100% of torque from front to rear, AND rear right/rear left. It's all active, too.

In a quick turn, it can send ALL engine torque to the outside rear wheel. When I say 100%, that's all engine power. Other AWD systems do it passively and only send a set % of torque to each side while the other % is wasted.

The system is very similar to that in the Prelude SH, but it does F/R too. The Honda video shows an accord with the same system, perhaps we'll see SH-AWD in other cars.

the NSX is a 3.2V6, the RL is a 3.5. The NSX wins on specific output by 5 HP/L.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually the 300 hp is the highest total output, and highest specific output, of any V6 in the world...
I really doubt that.
the RL's AWD system is awesome. It can split 0-100% of torque from front to rear,
No it can't.

As someone probably in their car size and income bracket, if not their age target, my impression of the RL is that it is junk. I will gladly pay slightly more for a whole lot more car from BMW or Mercedes.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:05 PM

Ouch.

Pretty condemning there.

Im inclined to see what it has to offer. If it really delivers the goods, I would consider it before I condsidered a semi-loaded e class or 5 series. I doubt it will get to e55/m5 price levels. At least I hope not. If it does, its royally screwed.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Sep 22 2004, 10:59 PM
As someone probably in their car size and income bracket, if not their age target, my impression of the RL is that it is junk. I will gladly pay slightly more for a whole lot more car from BMW or Mercedes.
So you would pay more money for an even higher priced piece of junk.

Quick Reply: RL