Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Rev Matching

Old 10-21-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ealand0001
Yes revmstching is important and a perfect heel toe feels amazing mostly because it's frustrantingly difficult to do especially at track speeds. I got pretty frakin good at it in my evo. I'm over it. My new car has a dct and computers that do all that business for me. It hasn't diminished my love of cars or driving.
It's easier at track speeds as you're braking considerably harder than on the street so the brake pedal is more aligned with the throttle pedal making it easier to blip.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:38 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Rev matching is a way I keep the engine in VTEC range on upshifts. It's a good way to keep the car above 6K R's from 2 to 5th gear. I remember, watching Bullitt as a kid --- and listening to the rev matching upshifts in McQueen's Mustang. Jacqueline Bisset's 356 cab, in that flic... Very bitchin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_JYyZ1GJhs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_JYyZ1GJhs
From 2nd to 5th? You're probably the only person in the world who rev matches when shifting up a gear in the S2000.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Not really rev matching, more like blipping throttle between gears. I guess just me and the driver in the Bullitt movie.

Prolly doesn't do that much, but sound good, & make me feel that I'm keeping the R's above 6K. I used to do this a lot with bikes I rode. Esp dirt bike in desert. Do it right and you don't need to use a clutch.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Not really rev matching, more like blipping throttle between gears. I guess just me and the driver in the Bullitt movie.

Prolly doesn't do that much, but sound good, & make me feel that I'm keeping the R's above 6K. I used to do this a lot with bikes I rode. Esp dirt bike in desert. Do it right and you don't need to use a clutch.

Blipping the throttle between upshifts is just wearing out your clutch... If you shift correctly your rpms should fall to the correct level for the next gear. The only reason you would need to raise the RPM is if you didn't get into the next gear quickly enough.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:20 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Blipping the throttle between upshifts is just wearing out your clutch... If you shift correctly your rpms should fall to the correct level for the next gear. The only reason you would need to raise the RPM is if you didn't get into the next gear quickly enough.
Yeah, blipping the throttle between upshifts?
Old 10-22-2015, 06:26 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,038 Posts

FWIW... you just back off the throttle a bit later than applying the clutch.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clio
Originally Posted by S2K Al' timestamp='1444761931' post='23774392
[quote name='gerry100' timestamp='1444529010' post='23772019']
driving is a dying art
I'd disagree, and would argue that if you want to consider driving an art, then it is in fact an art that is rapidly evolving and one that is becoming much more accessible to many more people.
I agree that driving is evolving but also think it is dying. Automation is great but ultimately it will lead to drivers being obsolete. Cars that drive themselves will be efficient, safer and drive in a more orderly manner on the roads. Can it really go any other way? Racing cars will probably always exist but will be a past-time for those that can afford to play. That's my take on the future anyway.
[/quote]

Hm, absolutely agree. Perhaps in a few decades, the only street legal cars will be fully autonomous and drive-it-yourself examples will become "track-only". If that came to pass, I'd wager that the costs of on-track racing would be driven down by an increase of demand (maybe?).
Old 10-22-2015, 10:32 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K Al
Perhaps in a few decades, the only street legal cars will be fully autonomous and drive-it-yourself examples will become "track-only". If that came to pass, I'd wager that the costs of on-track racing would be driven down by an increase of demand (maybe?).
Hope springs eternal.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Originally Posted by arsenal' timestamp='1444768511' post='23774526
[quote name='Soof' timestamp='1444528687' post='23772017']
My thought, if you can't rev match why bother driving a stick??????
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/09/r...ion-dying-art/
Pretty arrogant post. My girlfriend loves driving the S2000, but can't rev match 100% - this doesn't diminish from her happiness of driving it, and nor should it.

Wanker.
The great thing is that rev matching is not a requirement, if you can it will reward you, if you don't the tranny still works. Props to your girlfriend for trying
[/quote]

I agree with this completely. Although some of the benefits of rev matching have already been discussed here, I can imagine that there are a considerable amount of people who can't do it (especially when you consider other countries where manual transmissions are the norm). The technology (or art of driving as some of you have been saying) has evolved and come so far that generally speaking, from a racing point of view there are no benefits to driving a standard manual transmission if your car can shift faster and more consistent than you. Some would argue that this takes away the level of skill required for driving, but I think it's more about taking away the appreciation for the skill.

When I learned how to drive stick I felt like I was in boot camp. My dad would be on my case if I bogged his car down or lurched it forward. He really influenced my passion for cars and racing so I always appreciated the effort to never suddenly upset the balance of the car and drive smoothly (which led me to learn rev matching). Now that more modern cars are already doing this for you, people who never learned how to rev match can't fully appreciate what it actually entails. That's not to say that those people are a less skilled driver than me on a track though. After all, there's more to driving than just rev matching.

For me personally, even with this new technology, there is no substitute for feeling more engaged with my driving than shifting through gears. It's pretty apparent for me because I heel-toe constantly and unnecessarily when I'm just getting my groceries lol. This is just all my opinion though.