Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Rev Matching

Old 10-10-2015, 05:58 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Rev Matching

My thought, if you can't rev match why bother driving a stick??????
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/09/r...ion-dying-art/
Old 10-10-2015, 06:03 PM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

driving is a dying art
Old 10-11-2015, 04:06 PM

Received 3,774 Likes on 2,661 Posts

manuals are a dying breed. I never mastered the art of heel-toe, tried it a few times and I actually don't even enjoy it, it just doesn't feel right to me. Rev-matching is imperative IMO, everyone who drives stick should be taught it, but I doubt the majority of people ever learn it.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:24 PM

Received 1,722 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
manuals are a dying breed. I never mastered the art of heel-toe, tried it a few times and I actually don't even enjoy it, it just doesn't feel right to me. Rev-matching is imperative IMO, everyone who drives stick should be taught it, but I doubt the majority of people ever learn it.
I am not sure it is a dying breed but the advent of electric and CVTs may spell a real decline. 3 of my vehicles (TL, S, Tacoma) are manual. Everytime I rent in Europe its a manual. Perhaps the emissions requirements will dictate if manuals are allowed.

I too have a hard time with heel-toe. Always thought I should practice more just sitting in the garage but I can come off the brake, blip and let out the clutch all pretty quick if I need to.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:01 PM

Received 3,774 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Originally Posted by zeroptzero' timestamp='1444608389' post='23772548
I am not sure it is a dying breed but the advent of electric and CVTs may spell a real decline. 3 of my vehicles (TL, S, Tacoma) are manual. Everytime I rent in Europe its a manual. Perhaps the emissions requirements will dictate if manuals are allowed.

I too have a hard time with heel-toe. Always thought I should practice more just sitting in the garage but I can come off the brake, blip and let out the clutch all pretty quick if I need to.
Yeah I can brake and blip the throttle without any issue so heel-toe has never been much of a benefit, maybe if I was a hardcore track junky but on the street I don't see any real need for my situation.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:04 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Every time another car comes out that isn't manual people that never learned to drive them properly say they are a dying breed...

There are fantastic manual cars being released every single year.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100
driving is a dying art

that is correct.
and coming from an E30, S2K rev matching is sooooooo fun, this is probably the most rev happy engine i've ever drive
Old 10-13-2015, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As technology progresses, things change. I'm sure they had this same conversation back when double clutching was being replaced by the use of synchros. Rev matching can be done better and quicker by computers these days so the need for a 'true' manual is not really there. The 'tronic' type of transmissions are really incredible and lightning quick. I hate to say it, but the 7 speed DCT in my S4 is faster shifting up, down and rev matching than I ever could be. For day to day driving, its the way to go. For track driving, there are still amazing manuals out there with some still being tuned and developed.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Rev matching: do it
Old 10-13-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100
driving is a dying art
I'd disagree, and would argue that if you want to consider driving an art, then it is in fact an art that is rapidly evolving and one that is becoming much more accessible to many more people. Not everyone who enjoys driving enjoys the act of rowing gears, but it is likely that they all enjoy the experience of accelerating, cornering, and braking quickly. Whatever allows them to do those things better advances their enjoyment of driving, and often times that is these automated manuals.

Think about painting, sculpture, dance, music recording, almost any art and how it is evolved from its inception. All have benefited from technology and all will have practitioners who lament the loss of the "old ways" of doing things.

Quick Reply: Rev Matching