Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Replacement for my Jag

Old 09-29-2004, 07:39 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Replacement for my Jag

After almost 5 years, it is time to think about a replacement for my Jaguar S-Type.

In the last 5 years, manufacturers have brought a great number of interesting cars in the $25,000 to $35,000 range to market. I find these cars offer good styling, acceptable interior finish and based on reviews, greater performance than the mid size luxury sedans that are available today. Therefor, I will be replacing the Jag with a less expensive sport sedan or coupe. Here is my list.

G35 Coupe (6 speed...should I wait for the '05 higher output model or take a deal on an '04?)
'05 Mustang GT
Mini Cooper S (I would probably soup this up with the factory kit)
WRX STi
'05 GTO
TL (the S version or A version, not sure of which letter, but you guys know what I mean)
TSX
RSX (maybe too small?)
Lancer Evo
Legacy (the new 250 hp GT version)
RX-8
BMW 330 (might be out of the price range, but I would make an exception I think)
Volvo S40 T5
Lexus IS 300

I'd love feed back from fellow S owners who are familiar with or have driven some or all of the above cars. Uneducated opinions about which cars suck are welcome too, but please tell me if you are saying that just because you don't like the car rather than from first hand experience. Also, let me know if you think I am leaving out any 4 or 5 passenger cars in the price range that seem to be equally interesting.

Let the debate begin.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

does the S-type still suit your driving style??

need to know as the list that you've provided is quite diverse.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also, what are your criterion?
Old 09-29-2004, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

coming from a jag, it looks like a lay low car is what you need.

330i or the g35c.

but the g35c will give you more bang for the buck.
make a deal on an 04 and get the twin turbo upgrade.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:56 AM

Plyrs3, the funny thing is, I wrote the first post over a couple of times before posting it because I thought I had too much detail in it. I wanted people to feel free to offer their opinions, rather than be put off buy a lot of limiting conditions.

I can be at home behing the wheel of almost anything that is well engineered and handles well. I do not like trucks or SUVs or cushy sedans. My Jag has the sport package with the stiffer pirellis and the active suspension.

So, for purposes of this thread, the only ctireria is that this will be my daily driver and I want to be able to haul at least 3 other people if I need to. The car should be comfortable on long rides, and quick/fast/well handling, but it is ok if it is more of one than another. That said, if you think one of the cars is fast, but doesn't handle terribly well, I'd like to kow that. For comparrison, I think the S 2000 is ok for long rides, but not ideal. Long is anything over two hours straight where you stop from time to time to stretch.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by mvf4s,Sep 29 2004, 11:55 AM
coming from a jag, it looks like a lay low car is what you need.

330i or the g35c.

but the g35c will give you more bang for the buck.
make a deal on an 04 and get the twin turbo upgrade.
Dealers in my area are really discounting the '04 G35 c 6 speed right now. I can get them for around $28,400 in a couple of places near me.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:02 AM

05 EVO MR or a G35
Old 09-29-2004, 08:31 AM

The BMW 330 is an awesome all around car. You could get a certified used one with a good warrantly easily within your budget.

If you decide G35, definitely wait for the 2005, the updated interior is a big improvement. The sedan also looks much more like the coupe now, which for me makes it a better option.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:35 AM

were you happy with you jag experience?

if so, i would go for another. if you want cheap, get an x-type with 5 speed and sport pkg. awd and a 3.0 engine is a nice combo. the resids are factory supported and the money factor is practically zip. maintenance is also now included. they're practically giving the things away. in my area it's $199/month 24 months, $2,xxx due and the personal property tax is picked up by jag finance.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:54 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Of the cars you listed I would think the G35 might well be the best choice but I can't speak for 04 or 05. The STi drives like a solid well built car and with two extra doors it would be much better when hauling 3 or more people. My personal choice by a wide margin would be the Cooper S with the works package. The Cooper S's I've driven have just been a blast to drive. The people I've talked to with the JCW package are all grins but I've yet to drive one. The downside might be the overall comfort for long drives. As small as the cars are there is an amazing amount of space in the back seat. I wouldn't want to stick a six footer back there for a couple of hours but

Quick Reply: Replacement for my Jag