Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

remember when s2000's had silly markups? (VERY LARGE PIC)

Old 03-06-2003, 04:46 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even $30k is an unreal asking price. I recently was behind the wheel of a Lancer as a rental car last week and it sucked. Anyone that wants to say that the Evo is different can preach till they are BLUE in the face, but i know that the Lancer was a HUGE POS!

Geez. . .all the other GREAT cars you could buy for $50k.

Don't blame the dealers, BLAME Mitsubishi for allowing the markups. I frown on Honda too, for allowing the dealers to charge a premium. God knows I paid a $4k premium for my '00 but the smile was ear to ear.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:51 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on Raul, the evo is significantly different than the Lancer. I agree that the Lancer is a piece of ship. The funny thing is that these damn California gougers (I know I'm repeating myself) will mark up anything. For example I've seen mark ups on Hyundai sonata's as well as the regular Lancers. I SAW A $5000 MARKUP ON LANCERS, NOT EVO'S LANCERS!!!
Old 03-06-2003, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some moron is gonna pay that. So they are gonna keep on doin it.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by s2000raj
Come on Raul, the evo is significantly different than the Lancer.
Okay, how so? And I'm not getting defensive or anything, but they look a hell of alot alike. What ***is*** different about the two?
Old 03-06-2003, 05:14 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'd have to go to my bathroom and find the magazine with the difference in the specs, but I am to lazy to walk upstaris right now . Unfortunatly I can't give you solid numbers or facts, but the EVO 8 is signigicantly different from the *boil*Lancer.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:34 PM

well, to begin, they take a lancer bodyshell and weld the seams to make the structure somethign like 100% stiffer. Oh, and they add an all-wheel drive system. A really stout AWD system. The build the motor like a tank and turbocharge the crap out of it. They put in a bullet proof drivetrain and a suspension that is out of this world (this sedan corners at .98 g's, higher than S2000's).

Now, I understand the argument that this is fundamentally a $15,000 car. But this is a really worked-over $15K car!
Old 03-06-2003, 05:36 PM

dealer greed is immeasurable...
Old 03-06-2003, 05:44 PM

Evo has nothing in common with the original lancer except some of the shape, really.

The chassis is among the stiffest in the world (for production cars) which makes it ROCK SOLID and predictable no matter the surface. Much tigher steering rack than normal cars. Huge brembo brakes, good vision out of the car etc etc. It's awesome.

Unfortunately the American Evo 8 is very heavy and without many of the things that made it a great car. It's still good enough for normal people, but demanding enthusiasts would be very dissapointed when comparing to the previous Evo's.

From autozine.kyul.net :

First of all, don
Old 03-06-2003, 05:58 PM

While I've never driven an EVO, I have to say that the Lancers I have rented were some of the most unmemorable cars ever. But I have no doubt the EVO is a cracking drive.

As for the mark up, the dealership is stupid. It's NOT 1999 in Silicon Valley anymore, and the people that could pay for that mark up are not in the market for a rally car based on an economy car. They're interested in stuff like the new BMW Z4.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:54 PM

you want to know what the funny thing is...........................

some shmuck will probably pay it.

i dont blame the dealer, he can ask whatever he wants for the car, i blame the moron who will actually pay that price.

Quick Reply: remember when s2000's had silly markups? (VERY LARGE PIC)