Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Reliability Rankings

Old 07-23-2024, 08:01 AM

Received 436 Likes on 306 Posts
Default Reliability Rankings

I have seen this going around on the Twitters lately, and the thought that occurred to me was what happened to Honda?

Old 07-24-2024, 06:11 AM

Received 213 Likes on 146 Posts

As someone who has owned some of the "most" and "least" reliable brands out there, I really don't put much stock in these lists anymore. Especially when "rear main seal failure" and "heated cupholder" both fall into the same category of issue for reliability.

As for Honda, if I were to guess, the infotainment is confusing for its aging customer base.
The following users liked this post:
kukudm (07-25-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 07:16 AM

Received 402 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
As someone who has owned some of the "most" and "least" reliable brands out there, I really don't put much stock in these lists anymore. Especially when "rear main seal failure" and "heated cupholder" both fall into the same category of issue for reliability.

As for Honda, if I were to guess, the infotainment is confusing for its aging customer base.
100% agreed. Infotainment/ModCon things, get logged the same as powertrain/drivetrain issues. And most of the time on infotainment/ModCons, it’s a Layer8 issue where the Layer8 didn’t RTFM. So as you said, and to quote PE “Can’t Truss It”.
Old 07-24-2024, 07:18 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,843 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT

100% agree.
Old 07-24-2024, 07:34 AM

Received 610 Likes on 426 Posts

Yup - infotainment.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shoppin...-dependability

Saki GT (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 07:48 AM

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Yeah those reports are sketchy. Lots of things to unpack. I read a great article by an expert on statistical analysis years ago and cannot find it for the life of me. But basically he said Consumer reports and many of the others are considered junk to a real statistician. Many times, their sampling is totally flawed. I mean, how many of us work on our own cars? so none of that data is captured either way. Also, someone that buys a > $100k P car or BMW is far more likely to take it to the dealer for every recommended thing, vs someone driving the cheapest car on the market. So I think the data is a very, very rough approximation at best. At least from my own anecdotal evidence it is harder to question Toyota being very high on the list but still, hard to put a lot of faith in some of this. I think you can maybe put more faith in cars having very few issues reported vs the other way since as some mentioned, a failed seat warmer or confusion with the infotainment system likely gets as much attention in the rankings as a failed engine.

And based upon the very large number of people I know with them, hard to put BMW above Honda. That just raises an eyebrow. But again, a BMW owner likely maintains and takes theirs to the dealer a lot more than someone driving a Civic.

My dad (mechanic) and plenty of my family would laugh hilariously at Jeep being higher than Honda too. That one blows my mind. Everyone close to me that bought jeeps in the past few years dumped them and ran screaming before warranty was up since they spent more time in the shop than on the road sometimes (100% of them sold and bought toyotas actually). Cant say I have heard a story like that from any honda owner I know.
windhund116 (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 08:10 AM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
Yeah those reports are sketchy. Lots of things to unpack. I read a great article by an expert on statistical analysis years ago and cannot find it for the life of me. But basically he said Consumer reports and many of the others are considered junk to a real statistician. Many times, their sampling is totally flawed. I mean, how many of us work on our own cars? so none of that data is captured either way. Also, someone that buys a > $100k P car or BMW is far more likely to take it to the dealer for every recommended thing, vs someone driving the cheapest car on the market. So I think the data is a very, very rough approximation at best. At least from my own anecdotal evidence it is harder to question Toyota being very high on the list but still, hard to put a lot of faith in some of this. I think you can maybe put more faith in cars having very few issues reported vs the other way since as some mentioned, a failed seat warmer or confusion with the infotainment system likely gets as much attention in the rankings as a failed engine.

And based upon the very large number of people I know with them, hard to put BMW above Honda. That just raises an eyebrow. But again, a BMW owner likely maintains and takes theirs to the dealer a lot more than someone driving a Civic.

My dad (mechanic) and plenty of my family would laugh hilariously at Jeep being higher than Honda too. That one blows my mind. Everyone close to me that bought jeeps in the past few years dumped them and ran screaming before warranty was up since they spent more time in the shop than on the road sometimes (100% of them sold and bought toyotas actually). Cant say I have heard a story like that from any honda owner I know.
Yeah. Does this list mean ALL models of a certain make? Or just the most troublesome? And what are the specific problems?

Old 07-24-2024, 08:16 AM

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer

I tend to agree, but then again Lexus is #1 on the list. That demographic doesn’t strike me as one to work on their own vehicle. For many of them getting out of a chair without lower back pain is a success haha.

I’m sure it’s luck of the draw. My ‘13 Wrangler I owned for 10 years/100k miles had no issues. My ‘20 Ridgeline was at the dealer 4 times within the first 18 months due to A/C issues. I almost made a lemon law claim. My brother put over 30k hard miles on his manual Hellcat without a single problem (clutch was getting toward the end but it’s amazing it made it as long as it did). The Honda CEO himself publicly acknowledged their quality issues. I just think people remember the Honda of old.
vader1 (07-25-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 11:19 AM

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts

While I don't agree with the full list (mini is way too high lol). Honda has been on a steady decline for over 10 years. Toyota has been much more reliable than most of their Honda counterparts for the better part of a decade now. However, toyota went to turbo motors later, which you are now seeing having issues.
Old 07-24-2024, 12:20 PM

Received 406 Likes on 372 Posts

Yep thats a BS comparison

Quick Reply: Reliability Rankings