Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Reliability comments?

Old 03-16-2005, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps reliability surveys are skewed, any survey is bound to have some degree of self selection. However, that doesn
Old 03-16-2005, 06:56 AM

[QUOTE=ElTianti,Mar 16 2005, 10:50 AM] Perhaps reliability surveys are skewed, any survey is bound to have some degree of self selection. However, that doesn
Old 03-16-2005, 07:01 AM

I definitely thought about reliability when looking at the S2000. I figured that an engine that produced the highest HP per litre for a naturally aspirated engine may not be quite as strong over the long haul as some of Hondas other engines, but other engineering for the car would be Honda excellent!
Bill, I guess some people could argue that the engines in a AAA fuel dragster are unreliable. They sometimes don't last for five seconds!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Having owned many high performance vehicles of all different makes (domestic and non), I've grown to consider that "high performance" without some measure of reliability is no longer acceptable to me. "Driving fun and pleasure" is short lived if the vehicle is in the shop an inordinate amount of time or if you are sitting on pins and needles every time you go down the road wondering if the thing will arrive at its destination "unscathed".
One of the main reasons I have kept this car (S2K) longer than any other "sporty" car is the fact that it has caused me no concern and no grief (mechanically speaking). It's something like a Timex watch (if you know what I mean).
Not that this is a true "reliability" issue, but all my previous sporty cars have long since dribbled it's guts onto my garage floor by now. If you've ever owned a newish automobile that leaks, you'll know that this takes quite a bit away from the overall "pleasure of ownership".
When I now consider a new vehicle purchase, whether it be a sports car or a grocery getter, reliability is a key factor in my buying decision.

ps. How did this become a "Japanese car vs American car" debate anyway?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Mar 16 2005, 12:26 PM
ps. How did this become a "Japanese car vs American car" debate anyway?
b/c next to price, reliability is the biggest difference (perception wise at least) between japanese and amercian cars.

it's an automatic thought....maybe not to enthusiasts (who are we kidding?), but for absolutely within the general public.

if you had an objective populous, and if they could afford it, everyone would/should be driving a camry.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Mar 16 2005, 05:32 AM
Despite the fact that no one has said that -- they (Ford) sell more cars. Here is a simple principle of business. I sell more than you, I make more than you. I win.
and that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand....

furthermore, just "selling the most" doesn't mean you "make the most"....margins, econ 101....
Old 03-16-2005, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only time the reliability issues comes up is when someone says something nice about the mustang, vette, *insert other american car in here*. Then, some "mouth breathing natural selection escapee* will chime in, "american cars suxor cause of poor reliabilitee (sic)."

While, I find it somewhat important it isn't that big of deal as long as it doesn't costs me thousands of dollars a year to fix. But, like most things the more rich you are the less you are worried about reliability; ferrari owners are a perfect example.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Every reliability survey (CR, JD Power, etc
Old 03-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=xviper,Mar 16 2005, 08:26 AM] Having owned many high performance vehicles of all different makes (domestic and non), I've grown to consider that "high performance" without some measure of reliability is no longer acceptable to me.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:14 PM
ttb

anymore scientific than "well i have 3 land rovers and they're reliable, so therefore land rovers are reliable"

Quick Reply: Reliability comments?