Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

red light cameras

Old 11-05-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plus there's the issues of traffic and whether you actually can stare at every light as you approach an intersection or have to do things like look at the traffic around you. I mean that guy approaching the intersection to your right at a high rate of speed, is he going to stop in time?

How about that guy that could be making a right on red in front of you?

Is the lady in the next lane going to want to pull across your lane to the left turn lane?

No, there's no way you can approach each and every traffic light and simply KNOW how long you've got and be able to always make a safe, sane and controlled stop or transition thru the intersection.

Actually that's the purpose of the yellow light. It's to allow for those things and allow a driver who doesn't notice the yellow light ample time to clear the intersection before the other direction gets the go ahead.

The statistics show that if we give the yellow light time enough to do it's job there are fewer people having to rush to beat the light, fewer accidents and a much safer traffic flow.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Steponme,Nov 5 2009, 04:52 PM] If you are an attentive and responsible driver, you wouldn't have to make one of those choices.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hondaBeater,Nov 5 2009, 05:18 PM
I can't wait for you to get your 'first camera ticket'.

Then you will understand.
I did, and I still endorse them.

More cameras! More cameras!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=Steponme,Nov 5 2009, 05:44 PM]I did, and I still endorse them.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Nov 5 2009, 05:30 PM
Plus there's the issues of traffic and whether you actually can stare at every light as you approach an intersection or have to do things like look at the traffic around you. I mean that guy approaching the intersection to your right at a high rate of speed, is he going to stop in time?

How about that guy that could be making a right on red in front of you?

Is the lady in the next lane going to want to pull across your lane to the left turn lane?

No, there's no way you can approach each and every traffic light and simply KNOW how long you've got and be able to always make a safe, sane and controlled stop or transition thru the intersection.

Actually that's the purpose of the yellow light. It's to allow for those things and allow a driver who doesn't notice the yellow light ample time to clear the intersection before the other direction gets the go ahead.

The statistics show that if we give the yellow light time enough to do it's job there are fewer people having to rush to beat the light, fewer accidents and a much safer traffic flow.

Very Good Point.

ALMOST ALL accidents occur at intersections.

You want to know whats happening around you

and

NOT stare at a green/yellow light up in the sky!!!!!

Old 11-05-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Steponme,Nov 5 2009, 05:44 PM
I did, and I still endorse them.

More cameras! More cameras!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=wraith5,Nov 5 2009, 05:48 PM] I
Old 11-05-2009, 08:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

so what do you do if you approach an intersection at around 45 and the light turns yellow. behind you is a fully loaded dump truck, in front of you is a redlight camera.

is the almighty camera going to come to your funeral?

I wish there was an automatic ignore feature for posts of people under the age of 21.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:23 AM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

http://www.specterguard.com/

$40 and you can just keep running them

I am glad we don't have cameras here. Speed cameras along the interstate would be much worse!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by rockville,Nov 5 2009, 01:52 PM
Given the potential legal ramifications of their actions, I wouldn't have let them off that easily. I at least would have considered reporting them because if they are willing to do it to you they are likely to do it to others...
that or they just don't like you

What did you do to them
a bunch of my friends in Chicago just ran the toll through the IPass lane. Nothing ever happened. You get a cavalier attitude about it after a while, even in someone else's car.

Quick Reply: red light cameras