Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Questions: Considering buying a STI

Old 06-17-2004, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey nhobbes you should not consider the sti for your next car purchase the reason why is because Subaru still has not figured out the pinging problem. There is guy on the subaru message boards that purchased an 05 model and it is pinging. Even with reflashing(ecu), some cars still ping. I find this unacceptable. I currently own an sti and my car does not ping. I feel like I am one of the lucky ones especially since I live in CA and we have 91 craptane. If I knew of any engine problems like pinging before my purchase, I would not have bought the car. If you are still considering the sti, just cross your fingers and hope that your car does not ping.
If you like the feel and the handling of your s2, you will love the evo trust me on this one. My friend owns one and every time I drive it it reminds me of my s2.

hope this helps
j2000
Old 06-17-2004, 03:11 PM

I drove both, Evo extensively, Sti only a little bit. As in the head to head comparisons I give handling advantage to Evo, and power/speed advantage to Sti. Reading the entire articles I posted will give you more useful info. You really cant go wrong with either, why not test drive both ur self?
Old 06-17-2004, 06:13 PM

as someone said earlier, you can go to any board and find people with problems.
thus far i have had no issues with pinging, detonation, etc. nor has any of the 5-8 people i keep in touch with regularly with sti's.

here's another thing to consider when deciding:
mitsubishi is in dire straits right now financially, chrysler i believe is backing out, and recently they announced serious cost cutting moves.
subaru has been doing awd since before it was 'cool'. saab is even tossing it in their new 9-2x (courtesy of gm). subaru has a fairly strong track record of reliability compared to mitsubishi.

as for the 6spd strength compared to the old wrx 5spd: there is no comparison... it's much better as is the clutch.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by j2000
hey nhobbes you should not consider the sti for your next car purchase the reason why is because Subaru still has not figured out the pinging problem.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:13 AM

1. i believe the mentioning of the weak gear box was on an aussie wrx.
not sure why, because i believe they use the same 6spd as in the usdm.
the 6spd in our cars is fantastic imho. not as short and precise compared to an 's'.
have the dealer toss in the sti short shifter (~$300)
or just spend $29 on the kartboy shifter bushing (it helps considerably)
2. overheating: due to the layout of the engine, proximity of the turbo to intercooler, and overall tight packaging the sti does seem to have some damn high underhood temps.
the stock sti tmic is more than adequate at these levels, heck even turboxs has a 400+hp sti still on stock tmic!

when you start modding there are some things you can do to help.
headers: have them coated
downpipe: coated or wrapped or aftermarket heatshield
turbo: coated exhaust housing, or turbo insulation kit.
intercooler: upgrade tmic or go fmic. (trade bit of lag for potential heatsoak)

as for the test drive, i hear ya on that. subaru's break-in period is 1000 miles of driving under 4k rpm.
any dealer that will let you jump in a new sti and rip it up is not the guy to buy one from unless he is getting you one straight off the truck with less than a mile on the odo.
very few dealers will have a dealer demo,and they are very hard to find.

a good idea would be to check out www.imprezawrxsti.com or if you dare... www.nasioc.com and go to the regional forums and make your case there for a test drive.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:15 AM

oh yea, and as for body kits...
the only ones i personally like the looks of are the chargespeed v1 or v2 and the syms, w/o the wide body fenders.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:32 AM

I like the V-Limited Lip myself... Im considering recreating it here... getting quotes on it.

You know, I decided to start using different types of gas to see... Ive been using Chevron ONLY for about 1.5 weeks now... no detonating thus far... interesting... I was detonating before this.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anyway to remove the rear wing on the STI or EVO. Or is it a complicated procedure that requires sealing up holes and a paint job?

Thanks,
Old 06-18-2004, 03:19 PM

The EVO wing is a dealer installed option -- just don't buy it.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:07 PM

sti does not have a spoiler delete option.
but there is no shortage of wrx owners willing to do a trunk swap, and sometimes even throw you a few bux!
carbon fiber trunk is another nice alternative.

jsal,
i like the v-limited lip as well.
there's a pic of a guy who had it done in cf.... it looks awesome.
the jdm front lip is even nice.

Quick Reply: Questions: Considering buying a STI