Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Questions on '92 TSi AWD

Old 03-10-2005, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on '92 TSi AWD

Has about 140k miles on it. What do you guys / gals think would be a good price? Checked online and it came out to a buying price of around $1,700.00. It's been sitting for probably two years w/o going through any kind of preservation before hand, so I definitely know I need to have the gas and oil drained. I'm concerned about condensation rusting out the gas tank. All the other fluids needing to be replaced like brake fluid, coolant, etc.... Need the fuel lines drained too I'm sure. What about spark plugs, boots & seals, hoses, belts, tires, gaskets. All that crap. Last I looked at it, the tires probably need to be replaced. I think there was a recall on the transfer case and I'm checking in to the replacement of the timing belt and water pump.
Any advice on what else I might look for on these type of cars?
Old 03-10-2005, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is so much to look for its ridiculous. At 140k with the right owner (sure doesn't sound like it though) that could be a very nice car, but with improper care that car could be ready to die. Try to get in contact with the local DSM club and see if anyone would be willing to check out the car with you. DSM's (Eclipses, Talons, Lasers) can be great fun little cars (I spend 4 years with them) but if not cared for will become very problematic. You will have to change the engine oil, tranny fluid, X-fer case fluid, and rear differential fluid (I recomend Redline fluids for the drivetrain, Shell Rotella-T for the engine). Also, after sitting for so long you're going to watch to change the hoses and belts (timing belts are prone to snapping and I doubt it was changed at 120k like recomended so do that one especially ASAP). Depending on how it was stored will dictate the condition of things...indoor? outdoor? covered? etc. As for spark plugs, NGK BPR6ES gapped at .030" are perfect for a stock DSM.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been sitting outside, uncovered. Definitely going to need some cleaning up. I wouldn't doubt if it is ready to die. The owner thinks it's in better shape than I believe it to be. He doesn't know a whole heluva lot about cars. I'm already thinking it's going to cost more to get safely and comfortably on the road than it's worth.
Thanks for you help and advice. I'll look in to it all.