Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Question from a Spyder owner

Old 08-23-2002, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question from a Spyder owner

Yeah I own an MR-2 Spyder... I have a friend... not me I swear ... that is wanting to swap the F20C for his current engine... I just wanted to see what you guys think about that.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:29 PM

It might help if you post what kind of car your friend has. I am guessing he has a MR-S also, and if that is the case, then he is going to have a hell of a time putting the F20C in there. There is going to be alot of custom work to get it to mount and run in the middle. I'm not even sure that it is possible.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:32 PM

yep he has an MRS also... Thats what I told him but he thinks he can do it for 10K or less... I would think it would be impossible or extremely hard since we have mid engine and you guys are front engined....

I told him to just go with a Chevy Big Block 502 hheheh

you know us spyder guys always trying to catch you S2k'ers...
Old 08-23-2002, 02:34 PM

dont bother switching makes man. there is already a motor that will drop right in with no other modifications. its the celica gts motor and the motor in the matrix. i believe there are a fwe running around in japan as we speak. should be in the car within the next couple years from the factory.
Old 08-23-2002, 03:22 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moved from UTH to Car Talk

Please read this before posting in Under the Hood
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=75214
Old 08-23-2002, 05:35 PM

$10k? I heard a F20C by itself is like $10k. I might be wrong though.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:31 PM

Build the current motor up and put a big fat turbo on it then you'll be able to catch us.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GalvestonVTEC
[B]$10k? I heard a F20C by itself is like $10k. I might be
Old 08-24-2002, 05:23 AM

Originally posted by Freakaccident
Build the current motor up and put a big fat turbo on it then you'll be able to catch us.
As a former Spyder owner myself, trust me...a turbo in the STOCK engine with just a few additional tuning requirements will not only catch us, but probably leave us in the dust. They are high 12-second capable platforms with turbocharging. Without forced induction of any kind (albeit with a LOT of weight reductions....had that sucker down to 2,047-lbs), my car with just a few other mods (intake/exhaust, etc) was a consistent 14.75 1/4-miler. So, you can imagine what it would do with about 6-7psi of help. I really don't understand why someone would want to stuff another engine in the car for $10K when turbocharging it would be sooooo much easier. As for the Celica GT-S engine in the car.....I don't want to go into it here, but man oh man...what a bad match that is for the Spyder. A terrible engine choice regardless of what others have tried to do. The Spyder's handling characteristics do not favor engines with powerband delivery like the GT-S'. It requires something with a much flatter torque curve and linear response. Put that 180-hp GT-S engine in the Spyder and in the wrong hands, you'll find the car wrapped around a tree in no time. As for my long since departed Spyder below, I REALLY got the "nice Porsche" comments (I'm dead serious) when I painted the vent openings. I couldn't believe people couldn't tell the difference. It was literally an everyday occurance, that mistaken identity. Then again, these are the same people who have mistaken my S2K for a Miata so go figure.
Old 08-24-2002, 09:28 PM

perhaps a 996 turbo engine would be easier to work with, although it might be out of your price range ($40-50k I believe)

Quick Reply: Question from a Spyder owner