Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Problems and the lemon cars you've owned

Old 08-28-2002, 12:00 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems and the lemon cars you've owned

Silver Bullets reponse to the beater car thread got me thinking since I had a Jeep like he has now.

I had a 98 Limited Grand Cherokee with the V8 and here are the problems I had with it:

-I had front and rear differential problems, twice with the front eating some kind of bearing. They of course leaked all the time. (stranded me once)

-Countless sets of rotors in 50,000 miles with a recall on the fronts too... after 3,000 miles the warp always came back. I even took the Jeep to a mechanic I have been using for years on my Hondas. He replaced the rotors every few thousand miles because they were warranted but even Napa said no more.

-Three sets of brake pads, each more expensive than the previous trying to control the rotor warpage issue. Never worked.

-I bought a transmission last winter... it's always fun to pull the transmission fluid dipstick and see metal parts in your fluid especially after a long day at work. (stranded me)

-My front left suspension pieces were replaced for clunking that NEVER went away. Many rides with the tech on this one. I finally gave up but feared that my wheel would one day fall off.

-My brakes would fade hard if I hit any kind of bump while braking. The first time my brother drove it to move, he almost crashed going over railroad tracks. I know a lot of cars have some type of problem like this with ABS but this was crazy. Dealer couldn't figure this out either.

-A water pump (stranded me).

-Three batteries (original@39,000, the replacement from Pep Boys had a bad cell at 55,000 so it was pro-rated. Both times they stranded me, one far from home)

-My Ford dealer owned Jeep shop folds, then gets bought by a Chrysler dealer.

-A replaced trip/compass computer... that's what they told me anyway.

-A replaced rear door latch

-A replaced steering wheel

-Replaced broken headrest stops

Some things replaced under warranty, many not. It stranded me one too many times and I sold that piece of sh*t. I'm so sorry if any of you picked it up as a second car. My wife is the one that finally convinced me to buy just "another" Honda. I found a Honda I liked and she's yellow!

In contrast our 110,000 mile 93 Honda Accord has had NO problems except a bent rim (pothole). Total times stranded, zero. Everything else has been scheduled maintenance including two mufflers, two sets of tires (don't buy Falkens), three sets of brake pads, 27ish oil changes, a timing belt, a water pump, a complete gasket kit, spark plugs, and 7ish air filters. Most things replaced before they had to be.
Old 08-28-2002, 02:03 PM

I think I have you beat. At least you kept yours for 50,000 miles.

I had a GMC Typhoon was extremely fast. I was one of the lucky 4,300 owners. Mine was a '93 and I had it for 3 years.

During my 3 years of ownership I has serious problems with the truck including:

Snapped 3 sets of leaf springs
Burned out 5 starters
Burned out 2 alternators
1 heator core exploded
Front ball joints crapped out and wore out the inside of my front tires
etc.. etc...

There were other problems as well, but when the leaf springs would snap the truck turned into a driving death trap. GMC was non responsive when I brought this problem to their attention so, when the warranty ended the truck was gone.

Traded for a slightly used '91 M5. Every once in a while I see a Typhoon and miss it, but I don't think I would ever want one again.
Old 08-28-2002, 02:52 PM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

I think I may have both of you beat on time and miles. I won't list the problems but 14 tmes in the shop in under 3 months on my 2002 Mustang. It is now 8 months old w/less then 6000 miles and has been parked for a month while my lawsuit goes on.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:24 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

My '97 Acura EL (Canada only model - they also sell it in Japan)had 141K kms (~88K miles) on it when I traded it in. In that time, I had one starter burn out, front right brake constantly scraped on corners (despite being "fixed" by the dealership), cracked transmission case, A/C wire short and broken fan, rear window defrost partially "broken" (however that happens), front windshield spray nozzle broken, peeling paint on front grill, cracked exhaust manifold, and messed up hydraulic lifters. The most dissapointing car I ever owned, especially since I paid more for it then I wanted to pay for a car at the time solely because I trusted it would last forever with few, if any, problems.

My '94 VW Golf had misaligned doors, suspension destroyed in the rear, bad exhaust (fixed three times), bad suspension mounts, faulty rear speaker wiring, rear windshield wiper motor burned out, rusting inside the rear hatchback (water seeping through windshield rubber seals), faulty emergency brake, and bad rotor, coil, and wires (those decided to go in the middle of the first snowstorm of the year while I was driving a co-worker home). The car was a gift from my Dad (only paid about $2500 USD for it) so I wasn't really complaining but I still expected a bit more from it.

My '98 Accord hasn't given me a problem yet, except the clutch needs a bit of oil now and again to keep it from squeaking. My dad has over 300K kms (186K+ miles) on his without any major problems (CV joints went) and my mother has had two Accords without a single problem yet so I'm hoping mine will carry on the tradition. :crossingfingers:
Old 08-29-2002, 06:53 AM

2001 eclipse GT 5-speed

18,000 miles on it.

Replaced the clutch and throw-out bearing twice...

Replaced second gear syncro twice.

Sunroof was possessed, would close and open at it own will.

Passenger side seatbelt would not retract.

Passenger side windshield wiper stopped working

Rear speakers stopped working

Transmission became so hard to shift that my girlfriend could no longer drive the car because it took so much effort to move the stick

Sounded like I had a thousand angry hamsters under the dash at any given time.

More little nitpicky things....

What a POS