Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

price/build a Cayman

Old 08-25-2006, 08:07 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll give a write up on the car when I've put it on a real road: Dragon Ball Run - I promise no sales guy - I never have used it on a forum ......and I'm not a salesman

The engine sound is like sweet music. It whines right behind your ears, and when the windows are down the growl of the exhaust is awesome. It is a very german sounding exhaust - if you've heard an older Porsche take off, imagine that with a more modern sound.....hard to explain.

I got the Porche Communication Management with Bose Surround Sound. PCM offers more audio controls, and the Bose adds more speakers with the ability to set up surround sound - it is a cool feature. With PCM you also get the ability to play MP3 discs. You're stuck with a FM modulator if you want your iPod to work. This is a downside IMO (others would argue that the sound system is pointless because the engine noise is awesome), but daily driving or cruising on the interstate in traffic calls for some music. Since the iPod came out, I've had it wired into my car in some shape or form. I've never been too ecstatic with FM modulators - it is probably even worse in a Porsche because it picks up so many FM signals......discovered some new radio stations sitting in my garage programming this evening

iPod aside, the car is totally worth living without it. I can't get over how incredibly well it handles, and how much fun the car is above 4,200 RPM. The brakes are already fantastic - it is a pleasure to use them - and once I've got over 200 miles on the car they're supposed to get better

I've had one issue that I hope to take care of tomorrow. I was scooting at an undisclosed speed when some idiot soccer mom decided to make a random lane change without indicating in front of me - I had to slam on the brakes. The ABS did not kick in, but the damn brake pad sensor warning light came on. I called my Porsche guy and he said it has happened before, and not to worry too much about it. New brakes need to be broken in, but told me to take it easy on the way home and to get it into the shop first thing. Hopefully I just jarrd a sensor loose - not a good sign, but better than having the brakes fail - I'll report back when I know what it is.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Aug 25 2006, 09:07 PM
I had to slam on the brakes. The ABS did not kick in, but the damn brake pad sensor warning light came on. I called my Porsche guy and he said it has happened before, and not to worry too much about it. New brakes need to be broken in, but told me to take it easy on the way home and to get it into the shop first thing. Hopefully I just jarrd a sensor loose - not a good sign, but better than having the brakes fail - I'll report back when I know what it is.
I've read about the brake sensor light coming on or jarring loose over on www.caymanclub.net. Scan some of the recent threads. I haven't read anything about the ABS though.

Great post. I can't wait to see your pictures.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:06 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Denison now makes an ICE link for Porsche for iPod connectivity.

Email eric@bumperplugs.com

You can find him here: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/show...845&postcount=1

on Rennlist, or on PPBB.com

dlq, you raise a valid point about whether or not it matters, but personally a huge percentage of my driving time is spent doing mundane things like commuting, where an iPod would come in handy. We don't spend all our time on tracks or canyon roads.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats, but i so don't agree that a car, even with a nice engine sound, can do without music.

can you try to do a driving comparison to the s2000?
Old 08-26-2006, 03:29 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by dyhppy,Aug 26 2006, 04:32 AM
can you try to do a driving comparison to the s2000?
I'll see what I can do - I need to find someone with a S2000......it seems like everyone around here is getting rid of theirs now - I'll get back to you.

Thanks for the heads up on Cayman Club Barry - heading there now.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:51 AM

Received 5,757 Likes on 3,392 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Aug 26 2006, 02:06 AM
dlq, you raise a valid point about whether or not it matters, but personally a huge percentage of my driving time is spent doing mundane things like commuting, where an iPod would come in handy. We don't spend all our time on tracks or canyon roads.
Sorry. I forget some people have to work. Being retired my driving is 100% pleasure. For drives to the store, etc. and I usually don't take the sports car due to the carelessness of people shopping.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:52 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Aug 25 2006, 10:06 PM
I'm not saying it should be a ML Lexus quality stereo, but for me a stereo is not an option.

As an example if somebody says cars like the Elise or S2000 don't need stereo b/c they are performance cars, that's be like saying a car like the IS350 doesn't need to handle well b/c it's not a sports car.

Cars can do more than one thing well and if they can do a lot of things well like have a nice stereo and still handle well I don't see why that should count against it.

That's the one reasons I dig the Cayman or Boxster over the S2000. They can be fun to drive and also have features/comfort not found in the S2000.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:57 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Aug 26 2006, 03:29 AM
I'll see what I can do - I need to find someone with a S2000......it seems like everyone around here is getting rid of theirs now - I'll get back to you.
Did you have a M3 prior? How's the difference b/t the CS and the M3?

I kind of think of the M3 as being a bigger almost muscle car that can handle.

I bet the CS is as quick or quicker (stock), still has comfort/features like the M3 but take away 400 lbs with shorter wheelbase that make it feel a lot more sporty less GT-ish.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:08 PM
Former Moderator

Yeah, I had a M3 before the CS. I had the S2000 for a little over 2 years before the M3.

There is a huge difference between the M3 and the CS! I look at the CS as a mixture of the M3 and the S2000 - the best of both worlds.....if you don't need back seats.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Former Moderator

Pictures of my CS and my buddy's new Turbo: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=416837

Quick Reply: price/build a Cayman