Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

price/build a Cayman

Old 08-17-2006, 05:40 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default price/build a Cayman

$53,800 with the minimum options:
HIDs
Paint
Sport pac (6-MT + PASM)

guess if push comes to shove could get buy with no options except HIDs ($50,490)
Old 08-17-2006, 05:49 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

$3k is nothing on top of 50k - get the car as you want it since you'll be paying for it!

Old 08-17-2006, 05:53 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Aug 17 2006, 05:49 PM
get the car as you want it since you'll be paying for it!
I'm not buying one. I prefer the Boxster S.

I'm not sold on $50K+ for a Cayman. .
Old 08-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started off with an order on the M Coupe, but found that I got clausterphobic in it. Then I shifted my order to a 335i.

I was happy till I walked into our Porsche store and the Porsche manager showed me what a base Cayman 24 month lease was on an employee purchase. Until that point I never drove a Cayman because I knew I'd like it, but didn't think it was time for me to step up to a $60K car (bought my M3 used). The payments were ridiculously low, so I drove it. True to my concerns I loved it......except for the power. If I had been stepping out of a S2000, it would have been great.

Before deciding the Cayman S was the way to go, I decided that if I were going to get a Cayman I would have to have:

By the time I was done building the car, I was only $3,000 away from a Cayman S with Nav. I opted for the S. My car should hit the port today or tomorrow

The Base Cayman is super sweet. It definitely handles better than a Boxster......and dare I say it.....a 911

The base sound system is two tin cans and a rope - it is the worst sound system I've ever heard in a car. I'd rather have the stereo from a Hyundai Accent - an upgrade in that area is a must......eventhough the sound of the motor behind your ears is soooo sweet.

The other absolute must on the Base Cayman is the Sport Chrono. It changes that motor so much more than it does in the Cayman S (it is a debateable option on the S). I also found the 5 speed tranny to be fantastic for staying in gear much longer, but it requires more work. The clutch is not as smooth as the 6 speed and the car I drove would drop into 4th gear everytime I shifted from 3rd to neutral - it just fell in - it could have been the car. The stock 17" wheels are pretty cool looking - they look a little small; which wouldn't deter me, but the rubber around them is too skinny in my opinion - the car needs more rubber on the ground. With less rubber, the car feels "twitchy". To finish my synopsis, I think the Sport Steering Wheel is a must on any Porsche. The stock wheel is decent, but for $250 the Sport Steering Wheel is a no-brainer.

Sorry for the long post - I absolutely love the Cayman! I have never been this excited about a car before. I don't care what people say - "Gayman", "Coxster", "couldn't afford a 911".......whatever - it is an awesome car in either flavor.
    Old 08-17-2006, 06:08 PM
    Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rai,Aug 17 2006, 08:40 PM
    HIDs
    The Bi-Xenons are kind of silly IMO. The basic headlights are damn good

Aside from having the adaptive headlight cornering, you're just paying for some blue lights......not worth the $1,000+
    Old 08-17-2006, 06:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The problem with Porsches is that there are so many I'd like to have.

I start out wanting a Cayman. Then I realize I'd want a Boxster, instead. Then I think, what about a 993? Or, for the same price, a 930? Or just a classic G50 911 3.2?

The only logical solution is to get two, a 930 and a Boxster. Plus a Cayman. And...damn.
    Old 08-17-2006, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I should just turn my checkbook over to Poindexter and let him order for me:

Make mine: Forest Green/dark interior
    S 6MT 18" wheels (Cayman or Carrera?" standard brakes.
    upgraded stereo, short shift dealer installed, ?PASM, ?Sport Chrono
    Sport wheel.
    Price and other bits I forgot?
    Barry
    smitten
    Old 08-17-2006, 06:37 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

The base sound system is two tin cans and a rope - it is the worst sound system I've ever heard in a car. I'd rather have the stereo from a Hyundai Accent eek.gif - an upgrade in that area is a must......eventhough the sound of the motor behind your ears is soooo sweet.
    Oh how quickly we forget the stock S2000 stereo!
    Old 08-17-2006, 06:39 PM
    lig
    Community Organizer
    Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

A sales guy from Legend Porsche has posted on 6speedonline that they will sell any in-stock '06 Cayman S for $600 over invoice.

www.legendporsche.com/
    Old 08-17-2006, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait... a base Cayman comes w/ halogen headlights?? With cars that start under $20,000 having an option for HIDs shouldn't a car that starts around $50,000 come with them standard??

Quick Reply: price/build a Cayman