Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Preparation for job in Automotive tuning industry (engine building, chassis building,

Old 06-13-2003, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparation for job in Automotive tuning industry (engine building, chassis building,

Have developed a strong passion for automotive performance in the past 2 years. Currently approaching the two year mark in getting my finance degree, but want to switch over to automotive tuning.
My main interests are in engine building (both FI and NA), race chassis building/prepping, and engine management systems. Which schools are good to go to in order to study these subjects? So far I've been recommended the School of Auto Machinists (SAM) in Houston Texas. Anyone have experience with them? The course is pretty expensive (30K USD) and covers engine block, head, and CNC machining over the span of one year.

Is there anywhere in the US I can go to be formally trained in installing and programming standalone systems like Motec or Autronic? I know most of these EMS come from australia and that I should probably go there, but I figure I might as well seek training in the US since I'm going to be there anyway.

I have no idea where to go to learn about chassis. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Assuming I'm properly trained in these three main areas, am I still going to need ASE certification in order to do well in the industry?

TIA
Old 06-14-2003, 12:05 PM

Check out Kettering University (formerly known as the General Motors Institute).. www.gmi.edu

Here's an example of their curriculum for a masters in Automotive Systems:

The Curriculum For Automotive Systems
(Ten four-credit courses)

AVAILABLE ON CAMPUS ONLY

MATH-601 Advanced Engineering Mathematics

Any 4 of the following*:

MECH-540 Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines
MECH-541 Advanced Automotive Power Systems
MECH-542 Chassis System Design
MECH-544 Introduction to Automotive Powertrains
MECH-546 Vehicle System Dynamics
MECH-550 Occupant Protection & Safety

Any 4 of the following*:

MECH-616 FEA of Automotive Structures
MECH-620 Applied Thermodynamics
MECH-621 Applied Transport Phenomena
MECH-625 Automotive Climate Control/Engine Cooling
MECH-630 Advanced Mechanical Control Systems
MECH-640 Advanced Engine Design
MECH-641 Combustion and Emissions
MECH-642 Design of Suspension Systems
MECH-643 Noise, Vibration & Harshness
MECH-646 Advanced Vehicle Dynamics

Thesis or 600-Level Elective

*Course prerequisites must be observed.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:53 PM

Thanks man

Anyone else have any recommendations?
Old 06-15-2003, 11:04 PM

Shaun, SAM is a very respected school, and offers exactly what you're looking for, but not much else. It's strictly autos. Sure that's what you want, but you may want to branch off into aerospace or just basic mechanical engineering, and one of their speciaties therein. SAM does not accommodate.

I would recommend Texas A&M (because I'm currently enrolled , in College Station, Texas - about 1.5hrs from Houston. Their engineering program is top 10 in the nation, esp. aerospace and the automotive branch of ME. The resources are boundless.

Also, Texas A&M ranked 3rd in the '98(?) Formula SAE, their first showing. Formula SAE is a nationwide competition where schools have to design/build their own Formula car, according to very strict specification.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Go to their website: http://www.tamu.edu to learn more.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:10 PM

Thanks Alex, really appreciate the advice.

I do not intend to do anything other than autos, so looks like SAM is the place for me.