Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Power loss on warm engine

Old 08-06-2004, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KCLude01,Aug 6 2004, 11:26 AM
Actually, I have had this problem for a full year now. I have taken it to the dealer 4 or 5 times. They either don't know how to troubleshoot, or don't want to because I am under warranty. All the dealer did is a top engine clean 3 times, replace EGR valve, and replace IAB silnoid. I also took it to another mechanic who was a Honda tech, and he was the one who told them they needed to replace the IAB silnoid. That didn't work. So, basically I have decided I am going to have to figure it out myself if this is going to get fixed. Can't find a good mechanic at all. Have any of you guys ever had this issue? I am at a loss as to how to fix it.
Damn, that sucks!! Isn't it illegal or something? By law, don't they have to fix it if its under warranty??!! I'd demand that something be done ESPECIALY since its under warranty!! Take advantage of it while you can...who knows, if its too late you might be stuck with a very expensive engine transplant.

Sorry, I don't know much about it, although I used to own a '99 SH, but without any problems.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

xviper- I did check the plugs a long while ago and they looked good. I should probably do that again. I might just spring for a new set to see if it helps, I could get the copper equivalent to platinum I guess. The valves don't sound extremely loud to me, only a little loud when I go by a wall or in my parking garage at work.

BlitzSRM- The temp never goes higher than the middle, I was just saying that the power loss was more evident once the car got completely warmed up. Although last night it was quite cool, and I drove my car home from work and it started out sluggish right from the start. So I guess it might not only be when it gets warm. I am just at a loss. I had it dynoed a month or two ago and put down normal #'s for a stock lude. But it wasn't really having the power loss issue that day either.

Saint_Spinner- I would LOVE to get this taken care of under warranty, but all they tell me is the car didn't duplicate the problem for us. That seems to be how they get out of troubleshooting a lot of the time. After going there 5 times with no help, I just kind of figured it wasn't going to get fixed by them.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys have any more ideas on this issue? Thanks for your help!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My only other thought would be to get a general tune up including an electronic system diagnostics.