Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Possible Revamped CR-Z

Old 09-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by woodburn
Originally Posted by Syn' timestamp='1379191150' post='22778263
Not if it's still front-wheel drive.
Dude wake up, not everything is rwd. The s2000 is a great car but its not the pinnacle of everything sports car related. If they added a more powerful power plant in the crz it would be a great fun car.
My comment was in direct response to the subtitle "BRZ competition if produced."

I know some people are willing to compromise with buying a FWD car. However this car, or any FWD car, will never be true competition for the BRZ/FR-S.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So it's still 3 years away? Honda is taking way too long to get fun cars back out there.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Syn
Originally Posted by woodburn' timestamp='1379194089' post='22778306
[quote name='Syn' timestamp='1379191150' post='22778263']
Dude wake up, not everything is rwd. The s2000 is a great car but its not the pinnacle of everything sports car related. If they added a more powerful power plant in the crz it would be a great fun car.
My comment was in direct response to the subtitle "BRZ competition if produced."

I know some people are willing to compromise with buying a FWD car. However this car, or any FWD car, will never be true competition for the BRZ/FR-S.
[/quote]

Yes true they shouldn't even bring up the BRZ when talking about the CRZ.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by woodburn
Originally Posted by Syn' timestamp='1379270860' post='22779412
[quote name='woodburn' timestamp='1379194089' post='22778306']
[quote name='Syn' timestamp='1379191150' post='22778263']

[/quote]

Yes true they shouldn't even bring up the BRZ when talking about the CRZ.
[/quote]

Maybe they're talking out if their ARZ.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:40 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Originally Posted by Syn' timestamp='1379191150' post='22778263

It would compete more with the Si or other fwd cars like the JCW, etc. still it would be great if Honda finally released a worthwhile CRZ.

The bigger picture is that Honda unwisely canned its only viable rwd model rather than refresh it or take it in a new direction and now feels left out in the cold, and is scrambling to come up with things "sporty" by modifying its existing product portfolio.

The sweet spot has always been where the MX-5 sits though - rwd, 20-30k, fun. It's such a big target yet no one but Mazda, and now maybe Toyobaru, seem able to hit it.

One big hurdle for Honda imo is its insistence on the hybrid platform. Any new CRZ is still going to have that added weight and expense vs the competition.
Prior to the S2000 what rear wheel drive sports car has Honda produced?

I read/hear a lot of this 'if only they upated the S2000' but it was never intended to be updated. It's very production was to be special and very much was off on it's own, even during production.

I've personally not found Honda to be 'unwise' with their choices to end models. They seem to have a nack for picking the right models to keep. Sales falter and the model is typically shortly removed. Pretty good business practice.

99% of the driving public want an easy to drive, fun, reliable and dependable car. FWD gets them through most driving conditions and Honda can do sporty. I find the purest debates over FWD vs RWD to be rather moot when at the race track most S2000 owners will be lapped by a mid-90's integra with a good driver.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:54 PM

Have you already forgotten the NSX?

I and many others think Honda was unwise to kill off the S2000. We are also those people who no longer buy Honda products. It's a shame the S is no longer made but at least I and others like me can buy great cars from other automakers. A hot CRZ would be nice, but is competition for other sporty fwd cars. If your are looking for a fun rwd car, you won't be looking at a Honda, which is what the OP link is about.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

I think Honda burned alot of their fwd faithful. While VW continuted to appease their gti loyalists, and Mini doing a great job offering a car that people actually want, Honda lost its way in that regard. I'm sure Jonboy will chime in with sales data showing that Honda is just fine, but negating the aspect of yes they are selling well, but they forgot about their loyal enthusiasts.
When the CRX came out, toyota was targetting a mid engined rwd car and essentially had a hit. Honda could do the same against the toyobarus, but they I doubt they will. Even in the article honda wants to stick with the hybrid system.
Anyway, too much good competition now, Honda will need to do something from left field to gain interest.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Have you already forgotten the NSX?

I and many others think Honda was unwise to kill off the S2000. We are also those people who no longer buy Honda products. It's a shame the S is no longer made but at least I and others like me can buy great cars from other automakers. A hot CRZ would be nice, but is competition for other sporty fwd cars. If your are looking for a fun rwd car, you won't be looking at a Honda, which is what the OP link is about.
You mean their super car? An also an anomaly. They built it to show the world and display Honda's might in motoring. Bringing F1 to production and launch vtec. The S2000 was an anniversary car. What these two cars have in common is they were never intended to get volume. But rather to display something - tech and time. Remind the world Honda still has the tech so they can focus on selling their Accord sedan. Telling Mom's and Dad's looking for a safe sedan that it's 'race inspired'.

I suspect if that's your buying logic you were NEVER a Honda customer to begin with. No offense, but people like you looking for raw RWD cars buy Porches. That company has built a line of cars for all reasonable price points on a great platform.

I love my S2000. We'll buy another Honda/Acura later next fall, then the following year another to replace my current sedan. My family has been buying Honda's for 30+ years now. They don't always need to have a RWD car in production for me to be a Honda customer - they just need to keep building reliable and sensible cars.

When the 2016/2017 NSX model years are available I'll likely snag one of those. Not because there aren't cheaper faster cars for the money but because the NSX is something special in the Honda world.

A CR-Z that is redone to be sportier makes a lot of sense - too mass market. It will never replace or even get close to the design of the S2000.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I think Honda burned alot of their fwd faithful. While VW continuted to appease their gti loyalists, and Mini doing a great job offering a car that people actually want, Honda lost its way in that regard. I'm sure Jonboy will chime in with sales data showing that Honda is just fine, but negating the aspect of yes they are selling well, but they forgot about their loyal enthusiasts.
When the CRX came out, toyota was targetting a mid engined rwd car and essentially had a hit. Honda could do the same against the toyobarus, but they I doubt they will. Even in the article honda wants to stick with the hybrid system.
Anyway, too much good competition now, Honda will need to do something from left field to gain interest.
Their primary business isn't sports cars. They and Toyota slug it out for best selling family sedan and mini-van. People seem to think Honda has been this company producing a line of sports cars and also doing family sedans. Their best selling cars are Accord/Civic/Odessy/Ridgeline - not the S2000 or NSX. While Integra/Prelude did some volume it wasn't their core offering. They're best known for wise, well build, sporty for the segment family movers.

They sponsored F1 because racing is in their blood. But paid for that sponsorship by selling droves of Accords and Civics. Oh the irony of this simple fact
Old 09-16-2013, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2
I suspect if that's your buying logic you were NEVER a Honda customer to begin with. No offense, but people like you looking for raw RWD cars buy Porches. That company has built a line of cars for all reasonable price points on a great platform.
You're probably right - I never had a Honda car before the S2000, and it was the sports car that brought me into the fold. Now, with no sports cars of interest, I am looking elsewhere not only for a sports car but other cars in my stable as well. Frankly, I think there is a better alternative than a Honda for just about every class out there. The current CR-Z is a joke and based on today's Honda, even a hot version I doubt would be any type of class leader in terms of fun and performance.

All things being equal, would I buy a CR-Z+ over a BRZ? No. Would I buy it over a Mini Cooper S? No. Why not? It probably won't be as enjoyable as those other two cars, in several ways. Even the Veloster turbo would probably be more interesting.

Honda builds nice, reliable, good-enough vehicles, but some people want more than that in a car.

Quick Reply: Possible Revamped CR-Z