Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Possible Revamped CR-Z

Old 09-26-2013, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has definately been a good one LOL It went from CRZ to talking about dicks in just a few pages lol
Old 09-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not going to bother jumping into the numbers argument, but torque can definitely make a slow car feel fast just because it throws you back in the seat right away. That initial thrust delivers the illusion of speed. My first car immediately comes to mind--a 1960s 327 V8 that would be lucky to turn a high-16s quarter mile, but it still felt sort of fast because of the immediate low-end torque. Another example would have been a friend's old '84 Monte Carlo with a 305--same story as the other car (although probably a second faster in the 1/4 but still abysmally slow) yet it felt fast because it tossed you back when you stomped the gas.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:42 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Da New Yawka
I'm always down for a good debate/ argument.

JonBoy, do u own stock in Honda, by any chance?
Nope.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:00 PM

I always wanted to buy Honda stock, but never really figured out how.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:49 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

As an owner of a CR-Z 6mt and an S2K...

Say what you will about the CR-Z, but it feels and is faster than the 1.8 Civics and gets better mileage. The instant torque is quite nice in city driving.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Syn
I'm not going to bother jumping into the numbers argument, but torque can definitely make a slow car feel fast just because it throws you back in the seat right away. That initial thrust delivers the illusion of speed. My first car immediately comes to mind--a 1960s 327 V8 that would be lucky to turn a high-16s quarter mile, but it still felt sort of fast because of the immediate low-end torque. Another example would have been a friend's old '84 Monte Carlo with a 305--same story as the other car (although probably a second faster in the 1/4 but still abysmally slow) yet it felt fast because it tossed you back when you stomped the gas.
Low end torque IS faster when you need to make a left turn on a busy street or do anything just off idle.

Anyone who's driven a Honda with zero low end torque and also driven a larger displacement engine that generates significant torque just off idle knows how much difference it makes regardless of horsepower numbers or other metrics.

You have to be a willful idiot to not acknowledge the advantage a car like the TDI Jetta has over a base Civic when it comes to driving in an urban environment. Pointing at magazine articles just says you haven't driven the two cars or are lying your ass off hoping people believe you.

It's the height of stupidity and lack of understanding of physics to assert that of two cars making the same horsepower, the car making less than half the torque is somehow equivalent. There's two metrics - torque and horsepower. Horsepower is a derivative of torque in that it describes how much torque an engine makes at an ideal intersection of rpms and torque. Kind of like the dimensions that give you the largest acreage given a maximum circumference.

When two cars make very similar horsepower numbers but radically different torque, the car generating more torque is going cover the distance from A to B in less time. In this particular matchup, the car making less torque is quite a bit lighter. Yet it loses in every performance metric to a heavier car. Why? Because the heavier car has an engine that makes significantly more torque. It's a difference you can feel if you aren't a complete newbie. And lays down an argument that cannot be won by the Honda fan unless they invoke the law of "Honda always wins because I'm an idiot." Which is what you see here tonight.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:52 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I love a good (or bad) argument as much as anyone, but we've moved pretty far off topic here. Either we start talking about Honda's CR-Z sport concept or we shutter the thread.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:39 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Low end torque IS faster when you need to make a left turn on a busy street or do anything just off idle.
Sure, and I acknowledged that a long time ago. Read the thread!

Anyone who's driven a Honda with zero low end torque and also driven a larger displacement engine that generates significant torque just off idle knows how much difference it makes regardless of horsepower numbers or other metrics.
In certain situations! Not in all situations.

You have to be a willful idiot to not acknowledge the advantage a car like the TDI Jetta has over a base Civic when it comes to driving in an urban environment. Pointing at magazine articles just says you haven't driven the two cars or are lying your ass off hoping people believe you.
Again, in certain situations. Stop-and-go, yes, TDI rules. On the open freeway, I disagree. I own one of the cars and drove the other for two weeks while I was in Cali last time (my bro-in-law owns a TDI).

It's the height of stupidity and lack of understanding of physics to assert that of two cars making the same horsepower, the car making less than half the torque is somehow equivalent. There's two metrics - torque and horsepower. Horsepower is a derivative of torque in that it describes how much torque an engine makes at an ideal intersection of rpms and torque. Kind of like the dimensions that give you the largest acreage given a maximum circumference.
In terms of acceleration, they are roughly identical. The very fact that you don't know this proves how ignorant you are. You've completely ignored the way those cars make power and the characteristics of their power curves.

When two cars make very similar horsepower numbers but radically different torque, the car generating more torque is going cover the distance from A to B in less time. In this particular matchup, the car making less torque is quite a bit lighter. Yet it loses in every performance metric to a heavier car. Why? Because the heavier car has an engine that makes significantly more torque. It's a difference you can feel if you aren't a complete newbie. And lays down an argument that cannot be won by the Honda fan unless they invoke the law of "Honda always wins because I'm an idiot." Which is what you see here tonight.
Not at all. The Civic/Jetta data shows that to be patently UNTRUE as the Civic and the Jetta are identical in the quarter mile, yet the Jetta has double the torque and shifts faster. You keep saying the Jetta is faster in "every performance metric" - shall I post the details and we'll see about that? It's already there for everyone to read but we'll just put the numbers out there to clear it up:

Civic 5MT vs Jetta TDI 6DCT

0-60 7.7s 7.8s (Civic is faster)
1/4 mile 16.1 @ 87 mph 16.1 @ 85.7 mph (Civic has the same time but higher trap speed)
45-65 (Passing test) 4.2s 4.3s (Civic is faster)

Yeah, you're right, the Jetta trounces the Civic in EVERY performance metric. Except that it doesn't.

With somewhat comparable transmissions, the cars are essentially a dead heat. We know the Jetta is faster up to 50 mph but the Civic is faster from there on, due to a better top end. These numbers ignore the DCT shift advantage, which is way better than a 5MT and much better than the 5AT, and allows the Jetta to take advantage of its powerband for a broader range of speed.

Honestly, the ignorance in this thread is astounding. Lots of people talking about "feel" but no one willing to put up actual numbers. Heck, I guarantee Nunco hasn't even driven a Civic and TDI back to back, yet somehow he knows all about them both.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:19 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
What an active thread this is. 140 posts (well, 141 if we include this one) in the thread. The only other threads to have even broken 100 posts in the last two weeks featured the Corvette and the GTR respectively. So the CRZ discussion (or the discussion about the article which has morphed into a discussion about... well, whatever the discussion is now) has garnered more interest than the Corvette or the GTR discussions.

Yeah, it's not the CRZ that has everybody so fascinated, it's the perennial discussion of torque vs horsepower.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:13 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Problem is, Tommy, you think torque is accelerating you. It ain't. You get to use the torque but you're missing the big picture (the power curve and gearing and way more important). The minute you "ride the torque curve" and upshift early, you lose significant forward thrust compared to a car that's revving much higher and longer. It's certainly less frenetic and feels way more relaxed, though, I'll give you that. Faster, though? Not enough that you'd ever notice.

http://www.motortren...ct/viewall.html

Jetta with 6-DCT - 45-65 mph in 4.3s

http://www.motortren...on/viewall.html

Civic HF with auto transmission - 45-65 mph in 4.2s

So it's actually SLOWER than a Civic in passing, but somehow you're convinced it's faster?

Not sure what male genitalia have to do with anything but you appear to be fixated on them. You keep mentioning them.
You remind of a penis that's why. Why you might ask? Because your love affair with Honda causes you to take threads such as this into a dark spiral where you twist anything and everything you can into a +HONDA thing like your life actually depends on it.

From your own links genius.

Civic/TDi

0-30 3.0/2.6
0-40 4.3/3.9
0-50 6.3/5.6
0-60 8.4/7.8
0-70 10.9/10.4
0-80 14.3/13.7

Looks faster to me, and probably what nunco was talking about. and I don't want to hear transmission bs when the Honda has a slushbox.

Passing 45-65MPH 4.2/4.3

If that test was done in the lowest gear possible then that sounds like the TDi would be high in its' rev range and not where it makes its' power, wrong gear. But I will admit that sounds isn't a link for you post.
And i can't think of anywhere where I'd pass at those speeds.

And again from your link:

but VW's aptitude for compression ignition makes it a market leader in small-displacement, low-end torque. With 236 lb-ft unleashed at 1750 rpm, getting the Jetta TDI moving from a stop or from a roll was never a chore, especially when stacked up against a comparable gasser. Not having to flog the engine leads to more consistent steady-state driving.
Which is exactly what I've been saying all along. My original point summed up in your damn link
With 236 lb-ft unleashed at 1750 rpm, getting the Jetta TDI moving from a stop or from a roll was never a chore, especially when stacked up against a comparable gasser. Not having to flog the engine leads to more consistent steady-state driving.
I've bolded things (twice) for you since you are claiming others are ignorant. If you are going to call people ignorant then don't be surprised when people reference you and male genitalia in the same sentence.

Quick Reply: Possible Revamped CR-Z