Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Porsche: Giving one back to the true enthusiasts

Old 11-11-2009, 03:38 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8,Nov 10 2009, 08:28 PM
You want a car precisely between a Lotus Elise and a Boxster.
Lotsa wiggle room between the Elise and Boxster! But yeah, somewhere in there would, I think, be much more appropriate for the smaller/lighterweight "junior" Porsche model(s) than where the Boxster Cayman wound up, barely lighter than the 911.

And logic says if the performance and ride quality goals lie somewhere between, it'll have to cost ~50K.
Basically, what *I* think Porsche should have done with the Boxster/Cayman would have been to make them lower-powered 4cylinder-only cars. Smaller/cheaper/lighter powerplant, smaller/cheaper/lighter brakes, smaller/cheaper/lighter wheels and tires, etc.

That would've resulted in a lighter-weight and significantly *cheaper* car.

Would it have sales between 5K and 20K when every buyer can choose more performance or a better ride for the same money? And precisely where in that range would sales lie? You'd need to know that as a manufacturer before you can predict what kind of money could be safely invested in that project.
Impossible to "know" what the sales would be. But I bet they'd sell more of this proposed smaller/cheaper/lighter model at ~$40k than they sell base Boxsters/Caymans at ~$50k.

That's a daunting prospect for any manufacturer. I'm not surprised there are no takers.
Porsche took the low-risk/low-reward road in making the Boxster/Cayman essentially a cheaper, mid-engined 911. Sad that they had the guts to develop obscenely outsized/overweight vehicles like an SUV and luxury sedan, but didn't have the guts to build a genuine minimalist sports car. Ah well...

Interestingly, I read that their new owners, VW, are FAR more interested in the opposite, getting rid of the giant vehicles and developing smaller/lighterweight SPORTS CARS again. So I am cautiously optimistic about Porsche's future, now that people who understand the brand and what it means better than they themselves did are going to be running the show.

As much as you want to believe less weight means less cost, you ought to know that's a load of BS in the real world. There is so much more to it than "adding lightness."
YOU CAN'T ADD LIGHTNESS has always been my point.
If you want a car to be lightweight, it has to be designed into the development from the outset. After the fact, when you have built yourself a 6-cylinder base Boxster that weighs very nearly 3000 lb., it is too freaking late. You resort to extreme measures like removing the roof, radio, and AC, and designing custom low-volume parts to end up with a "special" toy model that STILL weighs over 2800 lb.

Light weight, done RIGHT, designed in from the outset (with concessions, of course! Like "settling" for a 4cylinder instead of going with a 6), is generally CHEAPER. If you plot cost vs. weight for every car in the U.S. market, you'll see a VERY strong correlation. Lower cost => lighter weight, lighter-weight => lower cost. With some cheap/heavy and lightweight/expensive outliers, of course!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:23 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Now that VW owns Porsche I fully expect to see a baby Porsche added to the lineup that is shared with a VW roadster - its like history repeating itself. Maybe $30-35k for the VW and $35-40k for the Porsche?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Nov 11 2009, 10:23 AM
Now that VW owns Porsche I fully expect to see a baby Porsche added to the lineup that is shared with a VW roadster - its like history repeating itself. Maybe $30-35k for the VW and $35-40k for the Porsche?
This is what will probably happen with that Blusport concept.

It'll be a sad day when Porsche gets a sports car badge engineered with VW.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by GinoGT,Nov 11 2009, 08:54 AM
This is what will probably happen with that Blusport concept.

It'll be a sad day when Porsche gets a sports car badge engineered with VW.
I dunno, I love the idea of a gasoline-fuelled BlueSport variant! Whether it has a VW or a Porsche badge.

In any case, I think that the days that Porsche introduced a 5000 lb. SUV and a 4000 lb. luxo-sedan were infinitely sadder than the potential day they give us an actual lightweight/economical SPORTS CAR, even if it's a rebadged Vdub.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Note the revised PDK with proper flappy paddles.

My $0.02 is mixed- I like the idea, not a fan of the execution. The humpback looks aren't exactly working for my eye, and as someone who prefers some DD usability in my sportscars, it's a lot of cheese for a pure toy.

ZDan, between the MX-5 and the various Lotus offerings your lightweight market segment is covered. Pick one of these and let the rest of the automotive would build different cars for the people who want them.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:39 PM

There is PLENTY of room in the market for a ~2500 lb. sports car that is more utilitarian than the Lotus and higher-performance than the Miata.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to drive the S2000, which isn't all that bad
Old 11-11-2009, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

add back AC and depreciation for a couple years and it looks like a great deal for a momentum racer
Old 11-11-2009, 05:32 PM

momentum racer? Kenneth, it's a pretty darn fast car, you're going to really have to slack off on the straights if you want to drive it like a Miata!

ZDan - light, fast, cheap: pick your choice of 2 out of those 3 traits.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:47 PM

I'll take light and cheap. I'll *make* it fast myself >

Infinitely easier to add power than to subtract weight.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan,Nov 11 2009, 08:47 PM
I'll take light and cheap. I'll *make* it fast myself >

Infinitely easier to add power than to subtract weight.
That doesn't explain why you bought an S2000 instead of a Miata!

Quick Reply: Porsche: Giving one back to the true enthusiasts