Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

PORSCHE ON FIRE!

Old 11-04-2009, 08:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I suspect that Porsche's design philosophy put more emphasis on tradition and the company's own view of itself than it did on pleasing some of the people on a Honda board.

Looks are subjective. I'm actually surprised to hear so many of you thoroughly dismissing the performance aspects because you personally don't care for the looks.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=cbehney,Nov 4 2009, 01:50 PM] I suspect that Porsche's design philosophy put more emphasis on tradition and the company's own view of itself than it did on pleasing some of the people on a Honda board.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by [DT
,Nov 4 2009, 01:06 PM] If it's of any consequence, there are people on Ferrari and Porsche boards that are critical of the design too, who I assume would be their target demo (since it's certinly not us lowly Honda owners ).
Good point. I wonder if the critics there are as quick to say that there's no way they would buy one, just because of the less-than-Aston looks.

Don't get me wrong, I wish it looked better too, though there are angles at which I think it looks pretty good (of course I admit to once having a Cayenne). But if I had the money, I'd definitely consider it, in S or Turbo form.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:19 AM

genius picture... blur the crap outta the rear end, so people who haven't seen it think it looks ok...
porsche needs to grow a pair and change the design, i know "if it aint broke dont fix it" but you cant just add two doors and keep the rest the same

that being said... id drive it

drive it, not pay for it
Old 11-04-2009, 09:20 AM

I actually like the Cayenne quite a bit. In fact, I always thought it was an excellent high performance sedan replacement.

The direct front and rear [of the Panamera], and moving into 1/4 views where the center length is hidden it looks pretty good, but as you move towards a direct profile, that L O N G roofline is funk-ee.

Part of the design problem, is it borrows so many traits from the 911 we have a visual reference as to what that style "is supposed" to look like. i.e., I don't know if it would conflict with me as much in a "design vacuum" where it wouldn't look like a deformed, elongated 911.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by cbehney,Nov 4 2009, 10:50 AM
I suspect that Porsche's design philosophy put more emphasis on tradition and the company's own view of itself than it did on pleasing some of the people on a Honda board.

Looks are subjective. I'm actually surprised to hear so many of you thoroughly dismissing the performance aspects because you personally don't care for the looks.
People on "a Honda board" have the same eyes as those on any other board. Whether or not we would or could buy one has nothing to do with being able to recognize a shape or form for what it is, and that is: Not so pleasing.

Looks are subjective, but there are rules to design pertaining to form and proportion that are more likely to be accepted (and deemed 'beautiful') than others, and these withstand the test of time. Why do mid-engined Ferraris always look so good? Why do cars with huge overhangs look so bad? Why do we fawn over classic roadsters with long hoods? When it comes to form, some things just look better than others.

Nobody here has dismissed the performance, or even the luxury appointments within. Both have been recognized in this forum many times over. However, performance isn't everything, especially at >$90k, and most people can separate the car's performance from its appearance.

I wonder how many people who say they don't think it looks that bad would say the same if it was slow as balls and had a Hyundai badge on it.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Tradition?!

The more the "Porsche tradition" is skewed towards 5000 lb. SUV's and 4000 lb. sedans, the less interested I am. I don't care if it does 0-60 in 2 seconds flat, anything above 3000 lb. is not what I consider to be consistent with the ideals that made Porsche great in the first place.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't like it in pictures but I saw a review on Speed and it looks great in motion.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jacques79,Nov 3 2009, 07:36 PM
That's funny tons of drivers tell me my Boxster S is a great looking car.

And every guy-girl I know goes ''wow that's a beautiful car'' when they see a 911-Boxster-Cayman...
They feel pity over your ugly car but don't want to hurt your feelings. Guy-girls are sensitive like that.

Sorry, it's only an opinion but I never thought the Boxster looked "right" from the rear or 3/4 rear view with the top down. Too bulbous in the back end like the 350Z roadster. And the single center exhaust...odd. Up front things are much better.

I know, I know, the Cayman is just a Boxster with a fixed metal roof (Coxster if you must Jeremy). But somehow Porsche got something right in the overall proportions that they missed in the Boxster. I don't argue with the Boxster's performance or driving pleasure or it's good use of space. If I hadn't specifically wanted to own an S2000 before they disappeared, I probably would have bought a Boxster last year. And given the choices left, it may be my next roadster. I just wish it looked better.

As for the 911, I can't help thinking of a frog squatting on a lily pad every time I've seen one since the 70's.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche doesn't need to please the masses, just find enough buyers to hit their sales forecasts.

Quick Reply: PORSCHE ON FIRE!